PDA

View Full Version : Does God Exist?

BIG NIGE
05-24-2007, 03:10 PM

JussiUt
05-24-2007, 04:14 PM
Not the best poll you could've made. Better options could've been something like gnostic theist, agnostic theist, agnostic deist, gnostic deist, agnostic atheist, gnostic atheist and "I really don't have a clue".

But maybe I'm just a nit.

Silent A
05-24-2007, 04:23 PM
What do you mean by "God"?

If you have something fairly specific in mind, I'd probably vote "no".

Taraz
05-24-2007, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you mean by "God"?

If you have something fairly specific in mind, I'd probably vote "no".

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you really need to clarify that.

BIG NIGE
05-24-2007, 08:15 PM
Supreme Being, Creator of the Universe. What other definitions of God are there?

bunny
05-24-2007, 08:16 PM
Some of them include "does miracles" others "came to earth as a human called Jesus" etc etc...

BIG NIGE
05-24-2007, 08:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Some of them include "does miracles" others "came to earth as a human called Jesus" etc etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, but those aren't definitions of God, only some things he supposedly does. I mean anyone who has achieved sainthood has been given credit for at least two miracles, if I remember correctly, so you can't define God as simply "Miracle maker"

"Came to Earth as a human called Jesus" only applies to the Judeo Christian God, and again it is not a definition, well actually it's basically part of a circular definition, because a common definition of Jesus is the human incarnation of God.

vhawk01
05-24-2007, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Supreme Being, Creator of the Universe. What other definitions of God are there?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are lots of definitions of God, and just because they all probably share a few core things in common doesn't mean those few core things are the REAL definition of God, and the rest superfluous. It is just as important that Jesus was God incarnate as it is that God created the universe, to Christians.

bunny
05-24-2007, 09:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, but those aren't definitions of God, only some things he supposedly does. I mean anyone who has achieved sainthood has been given credit for at least two miracles, if I remember correctly, so you can't define God as simply "Miracle maker"

[/ QUOTE ]
No but there are some who believe in a supreme creator who doesnt do miracles. They dont know whether to vote yes or no since perhaps you mean specifically the christian god (which they dont believe exists). It sounds like you meant a very broad interpretation but often on this forum people just say god when they are specifically referring to the God of the bible. (Although atheists will be quick to point out "the god of the bible" is probably not well defined anyhow).

BIG NIGE
05-25-2007, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No but there are some who believe in a supreme creator who doesnt do miracles. They dont know whether to vote yes or no since perhaps you mean specifically the christian god (which they dont believe exists). It sounds like you meant a very broad interpretation but often on this forum people just say god when they are specifically referring to the God of the bible. (Although atheists will be quick to point out "the god of the bible" is probably not well defined anyhow).

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with your point about miracles; that's why I said "Creator of the Universe" and "Supreme Being" I don't think there is any form of monotheism or deism which would NOT describe God in either of those ways. As far as people being confused as to how to answer, would someone who believes in God, but not the Judeo Christian God, vote no? The question was just simply, "Do you believe in God?" without any qualifiers or anything. I'm glad to see that there are more people who answered No than Yes.

JussiUt
05-25-2007, 05:51 AM
The biggest problem of your poll is between the options 'no' and 'I don't know'. That causes confusion because of the agnostic component most non-believers have.

Trier
05-25-2007, 10:22 AM
The question “Do you believe in God?” is already loaded. First it assumes a god called ‘God’ (ie capitalised) rather than a god or gods who are involved in the nature of all that we perceive. It assumes a ‘God’ who is instrumental, rather than a ‘god inherent’.

But stuff all that, there’s no reason whatever for a belief in a or more gods. ‘The universe, as we perceive it, is exactly as we would expect it to be if there was no god, if there were no ‘designer’.’ That sentence is in small quotes because so many have said it, or something of similar intent, so many times, they are beyond enumerating.

Stop asking loaded questions. Here’s a different example you might want to consider.

“Is there any reason, beyond quoting authority, for believing any power beyond natural power is operating here on this planet or anywhere else in the universe?”

JussiUt
05-25-2007, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
“Is there any reason, beyond quoting authority, for believing any power beyond natural power is operating here on this planet or anywhere else in the universe?”

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people would answer this positively because of their spiritual experiences. They claim that you can draw conclusions about the universe based on your own personal feelings.

Justin A
05-25-2007, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I agree with your point about miracles; that's why I said "Creator of the Universe" and "Supreme Being" I don't think there is any form of monotheism or deism which would NOT describe God in either of those ways. As far as people being confused as to how to answer, would someone who believes in God, but not the Judeo Christian God, vote no? The question was just simply, "Do you believe in God?" without any qualifiers or anything. I'm glad to see that there are more people who answered No than Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're still not getting it. The question you asked is only simple if the definition of God is simple and obvious. It's not, so your question is not easy to answer without clarification.

Suwalski
05-25-2007, 07:34 PM
What about a "Who cares?"

Xylem
05-25-2007, 09:50 PM
I used to be a good christian catholic altar boy. Then i tried heroin...

But though i no longer believe in christianity or islam etc, to say there is no 'god' is foolish.

Our understanding of physics, so far, requires that something made something, and the only way we can interpret that is through a higher power, GOD.

So, u can go down the spiritual lovey dovey route and say God exists, u can go down the scientific route and say God exists or you can sit in a dark room with a big head pontificating about the sad nature of a godless, harsh life.

People who go on about a sad godless world annoy me...
In fact people who go on about a godless world full stop annoy me. Let people be, its like telling your children Santas dead.

Ignorance is bliss.

govman6767
05-26-2007, 05:57 AM
Does belief in a mischivious omnipotent beings such as the "Q" count as believing in god.