PDA

View Full Version : River Decision in $109r

A_Junglen
05-23-2007, 09:30 PM
3rd or 4th hand after the rebuy period. No reads on my opponent, but I've been aggressive and won the first few pots post rebuy period.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button (t4325)
SB (t3200)
Adam Junglen (t7885)
UTG (t6115)
UTG+1 (t8890)
MP1 (t5450)
MP2 (t9370)
CO (t17765)

Preflop: Adam Junglen is BB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, SB completes, Adam Junglen checks.

Flop: (t300) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Adam Junglen checks.

Turn: (t300) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t300</font>, Adam Junglen calls t300.

River: (t900) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t900</font> Mr Junglen: ...

Really probably isn't interesting at all, just wanted to post something on this new shiny forum.

bigballz
05-23-2007, 09:32 PM
fold yo

timex
05-23-2007, 09:35 PM
I think fold is correct here, but I almost always call.

If villain bet 450, 600 or 750, which bets do you call?

NHFunkii
05-23-2007, 09:46 PM
ajunglen posting strategy?
meh I'd call
on stars it's hard to say what the psbs mean, but I think you're good often enough to call. I could be wrong though.

Cornell Fiji
05-23-2007, 10:06 PM
QJ was duble gutted on the turn and clubs also missed, you chop with most aces because he is raising pf with AJ+ if not wider. The flop was draw heavy and if he flopped a monster he would probably bet it. I think that is enough for me to call in a bvb battle

BadgerPro
05-23-2007, 10:10 PM
I'm calling here. You see a missed flush draw making this bet a decent amount of the time. I think you see a Q here sometimes too if the player is bad.

aejones
05-23-2007, 10:23 PM
call if you're oop and hand is the same, fold quickly here with two psbs

woodguy
05-23-2007, 10:31 PM
I think if he had an A he might c/c since no draws got there and he can get another bet out of you if you were drawing. I call it.

edit: meh, looks more like a value bet from weird two pair, but your call on the turn doesn't have to be an A

shaundeeb
05-23-2007, 10:31 PM
how have you been during rebuy period nitty etc or what. If you've been quiet he knows you can't really call river with anything because you raise turn/pf with anything that's strong on this board. When I come to that conclusion he doesn't expect me to call I usually call.

NoahSD
05-23-2007, 10:34 PM
Think it's close. Fact of the matter is, though, that people don't really bluff that much at these pots because they think it's so obvious. I like a fold because of that, since you really only beat a bluff, although he could be valuebetting a split.

Hard to think of too many hands that beat you that check the flop, but I still like a fold.

MLG
05-23-2007, 11:19 PM
man, when somebody bets full pot on the river on stars it seems like its never a bluff. i know, because i always call.

gobboboy
05-24-2007, 01:38 AM
Call call call call call call.

RandALLin
05-24-2007, 02:30 AM
this bet leaves him 2k, meh, if he was bluffing he'd of bluffed the flop. iunno i just fold it.

DJ Sensei
05-24-2007, 03:36 AM
why arent you raising him preflop? we've almost always got the best hand and i doubt he'll complete-reraise bluff us, why not charge him and maybe take it down without a fight?

do we stand to make more postflop when we hit an ace because he won't put us on one? seems like a more likely outcome is him stealing the pot, or us winning the same size pot after the flop (but letting him see 3 cards to catch us).

(there should be a little icon somewhere for cash game players who might not know what theyre talking about in a tournament setting, but that are curious and maybe have a fresh outlook on things /images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

AdamBragar
05-24-2007, 03:45 AM
It feels ugly folding this, but I think this is a fold.

Trying to make hero calls like these is how I bleed away chips in tournaments.

Also, I might raise the turn smallish (maybe to 800 chips or so) to try to charge a draw/control the pot size.

A_Junglen
05-24-2007, 04:47 AM
I think players are really overaggressive in unnecessary spots in the 100r.

I looked at my opponent, said "you're dead pal" and clicked call. He just shook his head and mucked 75o.

RandALLin
05-24-2007, 04:48 AM
i guess he was asian or something

Bond18
05-24-2007, 05:37 AM
100r is so [censored] aggro, i can't fold this.

NoahSD
05-24-2007, 05:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
why arent you raising him preflop? we've almost always got the best hand and i doubt he'll complete-reraise bluff us, why not charge him and maybe take it down without a fight?

do we stand to make more postflop when we hit an ace because he won't put us on one? seems like a more likely outcome is him stealing the pot, or us winning the same size pot after the flop (but letting him see 3 cards to catch us).

(there should be a little icon somewhere for cash game players who might not know what theyre talking about in a tournament setting, but that are curious and maybe have a fresh outlook on things /images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

[/ QUOTE ]

Please post more in this forum DJ.

We're checking preflop because with these stacks he WILL be complete/shoving as a bluff very often. Basically the idea behind completing with these stacks is that raising sets up a pretty good resteal spot for BB, so you complete a bunch with the threat of a complete/shove a very real possibility--that way you don't have to just give up your SB a huge % of the time.

Basically, if we're raising here in the 109R, it's to call a shove. Obv that's annoying because A6o just isn't that strong. If we check, we get paid off well often when we hit our ace, and we get to just check it down/snap off a bluff with A-high a good amount of the time too.

KUSH
05-24-2007, 08:39 AM
lol, raise preflop

Rekwob
05-24-2007, 12:49 PM
never ever fold this

DJ Sensei
05-24-2007, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Please post more in this forum DJ.

We're checking preflop because with these stacks he WILL be complete/shoving as a bluff very often. Basically the idea behind completing with these stacks is that raising sets up a pretty good resteal spot for BB, so you complete a bunch with the threat of a complete/shove a very real possibility--that way you don't have to just give up your SB a huge % of the time.

Basically, if we're raising here in the 109R, it's to call a shove. Obv that's annoying because A6o just isn't that strong. If we check, we get paid off well often when we hit our ace, and we get to just check it down/snap off a bluff with A-high a good amount of the time too.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, i'm with you if thats how things go down a lot of the time. And i'd definitely not like to get it in with A6o, even if he's got air much of the time, because AXo is not much of a favorite against anything except a dominated hand with the same X. However, I fail to see how in an aggressive higher stakes tournament, complete-reraising as a bluff is at all a successful play. First of all, you have to balance it by completing huge hands sometimes too. And that just seems terrible, because
a) you give him a free shot to bust you (and no you probably wont get away from that AA/KK that you slowplayed when he hits 2 pair or something on a board that looks good to you, and you're gonna feel like crap afterwards and probably steam off whatever you have left)
b) if the games are so aggressive, then your open raise from the SB will get played back at more anyhow, so you stand a good chance of getting it in as a huge favorite anyhow by just raising it.

I can only see complete-reraise bluffs as a viable move if the BB is always raising your complete with a wide range (seems reasonable) and he also gives you too much respect when you do it (i'm sure there are players like this out there, but not the good ones).

aejones
05-24-2007, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

we should be raising this sometimes- i prob raise check almost 50/50. yes, we should for value, it is almost always ahead of his limping range unless he's passive...
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there is some deception to not raising preflop; definitely. if two players are decent.. there is definitely a bluffy aspect to a-high dry boards in bvb battles short stacked in tournaments. however, the chance that he limp-reraises us with these stacks is something of a moderate fear, and soemthing we probably can't call even if we think he's doing it light.

Bakes
05-24-2007, 03:33 PM
a raise pf is not necessary, i mean u flop an ace and second pair is gonna look like the nuts to him. also we blank every flop and get c/r ai a ton too. i think you should call the river, every draw bricked.

shaundeeb
05-24-2007, 04:04 PM
I never raise A9o and worse with these stacks pf over a limper deception is way worth more then the times you pick up the competed bet.

NoahSD
05-24-2007, 05:27 PM
DJ,
It's a really interesting spot right now and AFAIK people are no where near playing it correctly. I don't really think anyone who's complete/shoving lightly here is also complete/shoving AA here.

I'm pretty sure that's not necessary to play unexploitably, though. This isn't like playing with 100 BBs+ where unexploitable play has to be really deceptive and you should theoretically be able to have a lot of trashy and huge hands in a lot of different spots some % of the time preflop. I really have no idea what the unexploitable strategy would look like in this spot, but I wouldn't be surprised if it involves playing AA the exact same way every time.

0evg0
05-24-2007, 07:17 PM
No offense to DJ, but his second post sounds like it came from the NL cash player he is - exploitability is so far down the line of value here.

Also, no one is complete/shoving AA here, and no one is complete/shoving 23o here.

It's that sweet-spot of the top 50% to maybe the top 15% of hands that complete/shoving. And even when you know the range, it's really hard to exploit from the BB.

sinderg
05-25-2007, 10:12 AM
seems like a pretty standard call, youve not really told the guy you have a "a" over the multiple draws out there with no raise on the turn. id just expect him to turn over some dead draw, maybe a small pair.