PDA

View Full Version : Russian Roulette (sort of)

Gorvacofin
05-23-2007, 05:54 AM
Suppose you are forced to sit at a table with five other people and play Russian Roulette. The chairs are numbered 1-6. Someone loads a six-chambered revolver with one bullet, and it is passed from chair 1 to 6, each person pulling the trigger at their head until the gun fires. However unlike normal Russian Roulette, the bullet chamber isn't re-spun in between shots.

You are offered a choice of seats. Which seat do you sit in and why?

Alex-db
05-23-2007, 05:57 AM
Following the rules it doesn't matter.

6 if I can escape if 1-5 don't die, 1 if I'll have to follow the rules and want the least-stressful game.

Max Raker
05-23-2007, 09:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Following the rules it doesn't matter.

6 if I can escape if 1-5 don't die, 1 if I'll have to follow the rules and want the least-stressful game.

[/ QUOTE ]

6 is way less stressfull, 5/6 times you dont even have to pull the trigger.

Alex-db
05-23-2007, 09:31 AM
Interesting slant on our different stress perceptions.

I think that much of the time seat 1 or 2 live, and you have important stressed minutes waiting for your turn as the odds decrease against you. Some of the time you have to sit there watching seat 5 hoping its him. Then sometimes you have to pull a trigger knowing its you.

I figure by going first you are only aware of the game (for more than a few stressful seconds) on the occasions that it is a good result.

joes28
05-23-2007, 09:57 AM
sick question, ive been thinking about it, and im thinking that I would want seat 5 because 4/6 times I wouldnt have to pull the trigger, and when I did pull it at least I would have some chance of survival. I think it would be very hard for me to pull the trigger knowing I have no chance.

RJT
05-23-2007, 10:03 AM
6 because you can refuse to pull the trigger. What can they do if you don’t pull the trigger, kill you?

Dan.
05-23-2007, 11:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
6 because you can refuse to pull the trigger. What can they do if you don’t pull the trigger, kill you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly you kill one of them if you're in seat 6.

Duke
05-23-2007, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone's seen The Deer Hunter!

Silent A
05-23-2007, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This was going to be my answer.

ezdonkey
05-28-2007, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be a killer(!) practical joke for testing your co-workers integrity at corporation christmas party.

You need 5 people that are in this 'gag' and a victim, drunk as hell of course, who is promised 10 million dollars for entering the game. Everyone else except the victim knows that the gun is fixed and doesn't really have a bullet in it. Volunteers are willing to sit on seats 1-5 and the victim (literally yeah /images/graemlins/smile.gif) is seated sixth.

Gun doesn't fire on the fifth player and player number 6, the victim, is given the gun for ka-Powwing his brains with a success rate of 100%.

But will he fire the gun gracefully for suicide or flee away or even try to kill one of his co-workers! That's when the party get's juiced up!

Oh wait, for a second thought that doesn't sound such a good idea.

T50_Omaha8
05-28-2007, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be a killer(!) practical joke for testing your co-workers integrity at corporation christmas party.

You need 5 people that are in this 'gag' and a victim, drunk as hell of course, who is promised 10 million dollars for entering the game. Everyone else except the victim knows that the gun is fixed and doesn't really have a bullet in it. Volunteers are willing to sit on seats 1-5 and the victim (literally yeah /images/graemlins/smile.gif) is seated sixth.

Gun doesn't fire on the fifth player and player number 6, the victim, is given the gun for ka-Powwing his brains with a success rate of 100%.

But will he fire the gun gracefully for suicide or flee away or even try to kill one of his co-workers! That's when the party get's juiced up!

[/ QUOTE ]Paying 6 hobos to play this game (fake of course) would be a very interesting psychological experiment.

Prodigy54321
05-28-2007, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL

ezdonkey
05-28-2007, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Paying 6 hobos to play this game (fake of course) would be a very interesting psychological experiment.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be also a kick-ass reality show.

I wonder if NBC is hiring...

Fels krone
05-28-2007, 06:34 PM
I'm getting the same chance of dying no matter where you sit, assuming everyone plays fair.

StepBangin
05-28-2007, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm getting the same chance of dying no matter where you sit, assuming everyone plays fair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, no....DUCY?

T50_Omaha8
05-28-2007, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, no....DUCY?

[/ QUOTE ]No. Please enlighten us.

flipdeadshot22
05-29-2007, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, no....DUCY?

[/ QUOTE ]No. Please enlighten us.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope i'm not being levelled here, but there is an obvious difference in your chances of dying based on position. Russian roulette is played by placing a single bullet in a 6 chambered revolver and randomizing the player being killed by spinning the chamber. If you are the first to go, you have a 1/6 chance of death. If you are last to go, and observed 5 people in front of you successfully pull the trigger without being killed, you obviously have a 100% chance of death.

flavius
05-29-2007, 03:30 AM
100x better than bumfights. someone get this project off the ground.

[/ QUOTE ]Paying 6 hobos to play this game (fake of course) would be a very interesting psychological experiment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohgod
05-29-2007, 05:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I hope i'm not being levelled here, but there is an obvious difference in your chances of dying based on position. Russian roulette is played by placing a single bullet in a 6 chambered revolver and randomizing the player being killed by spinning the chamber. If you are the first to go, you have a 1/6 chance of death. If you are last to go, and observed 5 people in front of you successfully pull the trigger without being killed, you obviously have a 100% chance of death.

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you're in seat 6, you only have to pull the trigger at all 1/6 of the time, for a total of 1/6 chance of death. In seat 1, you have to pull the trigger 100% of the time, but there will only be a bullet in the chamber 1/6 of the time, and so on.

Unless I'm being levelled, in which case congrats.

flipdeadshot22
05-29-2007, 06:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you're in seat 6, you only have to pull the trigger at all 1/6 of the time, for a total of 1/6 chance of death. In seat 1, you have to pull the trigger 100% of the time, but there will only be a bullet in the chamber 1/6 of the time, and so on.

Unless I'm being levelled, in which case congrats.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, didn't really think that one through, thanks for the correction /images/graemlins/blush.gif