PDA

View Full Version : AP: US May Be Target in Gambling Dispute

Jeffage
05-22-2007, 11:04 PM
Click link to read full article...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/22/AR2007052201391.html

U.S. May Be Target in Gambling Dispute
Antigua Urges WTO Members to Seek Compensation Over Online Restrictions

By Bradley S. Klapper
Associated Press
Wednesday, May 23, 2007; Page D07

GENEVA, May 22 -- The Caribbean nation of Antigua and Barbuda is seeking compensation from the United States over its restrictions on Internet gambling sites based overseas, and on Tuesday asked other countries to join in as it targets Washington over its failure to comply with global trade rules.

The World Trade Organization ruled that the restrictions were illegal.

Izzy Vega
05-22-2007, 11:10 PM
Good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeffage
05-22-2007, 11:12 PM
I think the specific mention of going after US copyrights from Antigua itself is a positive (as well as the stuff about the other EU countries).

Jeff

TheEngineer
05-22-2007, 11:33 PM
Nice article. It has a "Comments" link at the bottom of the article where we can enter comments. Might not hurt to toss small blurbs of reason in there.

TheEngineer
05-23-2007, 12:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice article. It has a "Comments" link at the bottom of the article where we can enter comments. Might not hurt to toss small blurbs of reason in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

My comment (I didn't mention 2+2, so Mason won't get mad):

[ QUOTE ]
Unbelievable! The government is so gung-ho on preventing Americans from CHOOSING to play poker and other games online that they're willing to renege on our commitments to the WTO. Of course, our government will be back at the WTO soon to press complaints against China.

Many Americans oppose the so-called "ban". It “passed” the Senate not by a majority vote on its merits, but by being sneaked into the Safe Ports Act, where it was safe from debate and discussion. As a result, reform measures like HR 2046, the Internet Gambling Regulation and Enforcement Act, have already been introduced, and others are sure to follow.

Should America be like England and most of Europe, where citizens are permitted to choose to gamble if they wish to, or should we be like China and Iran, where the Internet is censored? I prefer freedom and limited government myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tofu_boy
05-23-2007, 01:44 AM
Great news for US. /images/graemlins/smile.gif