PDA

View Full Version : Parallel torture ? with a paradox twist on the backside

PLOlover
05-22-2007, 12:43 PM
Ok let's say you are a registered sex offender.
Now don't panic lol. You might be a real child rapist guy or like in those weird newspaper articles you might just have been a 19 year old senior in high school who had sex with a 15-16 year old high school sophomore and been victimized by the criminal justice system.

Anyway, say you are in a situation where some little kid is drowning or something, I can't think of a good detailed situation. But the situation is such that if you don't act the kid will die. And if you do act you will violate your sex offender status and get 5 years in prison. Let's not argue about the prison, mandatory minimums or whatever, if you interact with a minor in any way shape or form you get the book thrown at you no matter what.

Now, I hope you can see the parallel to the torture situation. Do you save the kid or not?

Now for the magillacutty twist on the backside, in my opinion the answer depends on whether you are a real criminal, scumbag-child-underage-molestor (S.C.U.M.), or just a victim of crazy criminal justice system, a guy who got screwed over against his will by the government Deleted.
If you're a S.C.U.M., it seems to me you should save the kid from drwoning.
If you're a Deleted, you should run away from the area as fast as you can and save yourself.
DUCY?

MuresanForMVP
05-22-2007, 12:58 PM
Is this based on reality at all? this scenario is completely ridiculous

mjkidd
05-22-2007, 01:06 PM
I let the kid drown no matter why I'm a sex offender.

bdk3clash
05-22-2007, 01:34 PM
Gems from this post:

-PLOlover is apparently familiar with the five-year plan in high school.
-A "19 year old...who had sex with a 15-16 year old" and became a "registered sex offender" was "victimized by the criminal justice system."
-While he bothered to come up with a tortured acronym to refer to "real criminal[s]" as "S.C.U.M.", PLOlover refers to a "victim of crazy criminal justice system" as a Deleted without any explanation.

ShakeZula06
05-22-2007, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
-A "19 year old...who had sex with a 15-16 year old" and became a "registered sex offender" was "victimized by the criminal justice system."

[/ QUOTE ]
You disagree?

PLOlover
05-22-2007, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
-PLOlover is apparently familiar with the five-year plan in high school.
-While he bothered to come up with a tortured acronym to refer to "real criminal[s]" as "S.C.U.M.", PLOlover refers to a "victim of crazy criminal justice system" as a Deleted without any explanation.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyi,
a) 3 year plan for me
b) was in a newspaper article
c) you're 100% correct the scum acronym just came to me I thought it was good but my self imposed <1 minute rule on posts didnt let me come up with a good one for Deleted sorry about that one I did let you down there.

PLOlover
05-22-2007, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah like the ticking timebomb nuke is about to go off any second we have to torture is such a much more belieebale scenario.

PLOlover
05-22-2007, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You disagree?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going by memeory of a newspaper article but it doesnt seem outragious to me for a high school senior to "date" a high school sophomore.

AlexM
05-22-2007, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You disagree?

[/ QUOTE ]

PLOlover
05-22-2007, 05:18 PM
crap I was supposed to post this in the science/philosophy forum to go along with the torture threads there. mods move?

MuresanForMVP
05-22-2007, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah like the ticking timebomb nuke is about to go off any second we have to torture is such a much more belieebale scenario.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just thought this part: [ QUOTE ]
But the situation is such that if you don't act the kid will die. And if you do act you will violate your sex offender status and get 5 years in prison. Let's not argue about the prison, mandatory minimums or whatever, if you interact with a minor in any way shape or form you get the book thrown at you no matter what.

[/ QUOTE ] was really stupid. Are we just supposed to take that at face value, because that's clearly not how it would work if this actually played out

hasugopher
05-23-2007, 05:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just thought this part: [ QUOTE ]
But the situation is such that if you don't act the kid will die. And if you do act you will violate your sex offender status and get 5 years in prison. Let's not argue about the prison, mandatory minimums or whatever, if you interact with a minor in any way shape or form you get the book thrown at you no matter what.

[/ QUOTE ] was really stupid. Are we just supposed to take that at face value, because that's clearly not how it would work if this actually played out

[/ QUOTE ]
1) crazier things have happened, 2) I don't believe (I could be wrong) that was the intent of the thread, to debate the criminal justice system

that said, saving the kid wouldn't be worth it and it's not even close. look the other way and pretend you didn't see anything.

MidGe
05-23-2007, 06:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You disagree?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PLOlover
05-23-2007, 09:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
that said, saving the kid wouldn't be worth it and it's not even close. look the other way and pretend you didn't see anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, everybody said look the other way and don't save the kid.

So why then does everybody want to use torture to save the freezing woman trapped in the freezer or whatever?

PLOlover
05-23-2007, 09:37 AM
Now don't panic lol. You might be a real child rapist guy or like in those weird newspaper articles you might just have been a 19 year old senior in high school who had sex with a 15-16 year old high school sophomore and been victimized by the criminal justice system.

Anyway, say you are in a situation where some little kid is drowning or something, I can't think of a good detailed situation. But the situation is such that if you don't act the kid will die. And if you do act you will violate your sex offender status and get 5 years in prison. Let's not argue about the prison, mandatory minimums or whatever, if you interact with a minor in any way shape or form you get the book thrown at you no matter what.

Now, I hope you can see the parallel to the torture situation. Do you save the kid or not?

Now for the magillacutty twist on the backside, in my opinion the answer depends on whether you are a real criminal, scumbag-child-underage-molestor (S.C.U.M.), or just a victim of crazy criminal justice system, an oridnary guy who was out of his depth (G.O.O.D.).
If you're a (G.O.O.D.), you should run away from the area as fast as you can and save yourself.
DUCY?

hasugopher
05-25-2007, 06:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, everybody said look the other way and don't save the kid.

So why then does everybody want to use torture to save the freezing woman trapped in the freezer or whatever?

[/ QUOTE ]
hmmmm, I don't spend a whole lot of time in this forum so I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about here.

hasugopher
05-25-2007, 07:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Now for the magillacutty twist on the backside, in my opinion the answer depends on whether you are a real criminal, scumbag-child-underage-molestor (S.C.U.M.), or just a victim of crazy criminal justice system, an oridnary guy who was out of his depth (G.O.O.D.).
If you're a (G.O.O.D.), you should run away from the area as fast as you can and save yourself.
DUCY?

[/ QUOTE ]
Ignoring my belief that I feel the SCUM shouldn't even have the freedom to make the choice to begin with, it isn't immediately clear to me why it would matter. I assume you are coming from the angle that the GOOD guy does not deserve to be in jail whereas the SCUM does. Either way though, regardless of whether you are GOOD or SCUM, your life will be significantly better if you don't save the kid. I hope that nobody takes this the wrong way or twists it around to mean something it's not. Just going by the absolute hypothetical conditions of the thread.

PLOlover
05-25-2007, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
hmmmm, I don't spend a whole lot of time in this forum so I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about here.

[/ QUOTE ]

you know, the sklansky torture threads in this forum.

Dale Dough
05-26-2007, 06:59 AM
Save the damn kid and make a big fuss about it in the media if they still ship you off to prison.

Somehow exploit this and profit.

If you're GOOD, use some of this money to track down the person(s) responsible for your sex offender status. Get medieval on they' asses.

PLOlover
05-26-2007, 09:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're GOOD, use some of this money to track down the person(s) responsible for your sex offender status. Get medieval on they' asses.

[/ QUOTE ]

well the whole point of a bureaucracy is that no one is responsible, you'd have to kill like 50 people.