PDA

View Full Version : Wired news article

Marquis
05-21-2007, 10:09 AM
Refusing to Fold, Online Poker Players Bet on Prohibition Repeal (http://www.wired.com/politics/law/news/2007/05/gambling_laws)

toss
05-21-2007, 10:35 AM
Good article. Let's hope it gets more exposure.

bossplayer
05-21-2007, 10:40 AM
I dont see it as a 'great' article as far as the exampled players go, but the rest of it was good.

schwza
05-21-2007, 01:10 PM
i thought it was a very well-written article, and for the most part very positive towards poker players. the one downside i see is that it emphasizes too much the idea that "online poker is now the shadows" (not a real quote).

and this is a quibble, but i think it's misleading to say "Frank introduced a bill that would re-legalize online poker" because it was never expressly legal and imo it's not illegal now.

edit: i also had not heard about this wexler bill before. i think that's much better for us than the frank bill and it's probably more likely to pass.

Grasshopp3r
05-21-2007, 01:13 PM
This article has been written several times. I would have thought that Wired would delve into why the interwebs will have more technical challenges that will prevent any potential blacklisting or blockage of gaming sites. Instead, they rehash yesterday's news.

It is the funding that matters, as the whole gaming market is premised upon actually making money at it. Otherwise, it will dry up, despite having access to the sites.

They should highlight Microsoft's inclusion of poker in Vista and Yahoo's new site.

kidpokeher
05-21-2007, 02:26 PM
I liked the article even if it was a rehash. Any press is good press AFAIAC. The suggestions here are good too.

permafrost
05-23-2007, 09:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"You've created a whole criminal culture," says former New York Sen. Al D'Amato. D'Amato is the chairman of the Poker Player's Alliance, a 500,000-member grassroots group of poker enthusiasts working to overturn last year's law. Instead of controlling and licensing the industry, D'Amato believes, UIGEA has only created the conditions for shady operators to flourish outside the reach of law. "Just like prohibition," he says.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don’t agree that UIGEA “created a whole criminal culture”, it was already there. But now the PPA has the dilemma of how to address the illegality without looking like they are enabling "criminal culture".

Also, alcohol prohibition had huge supply and demand factors compared to internet poker.