PDA

View Full Version : Online Poker Banning

cROUNDER33
05-20-2007, 02:14 AM
Hey guys do you truly believe that there will be a time within the year that we are unable to log onto pokerstars and play because of the online gambling law or do you feel that as long as we have money on there we sha'll be able to play and continuting bringing in or for the unlucky ones losing money. Thank you in advance.

TheJokerIsWild
05-20-2007, 02:25 AM
Actually, starting next Thursday you won't be able to play anymore. You didn't already know that????

Izzy Vega
05-20-2007, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, starting next Thursday you won't be able to play anymore. You didn't already know that????

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all funny.

Anyway to try to anwser your question. When the regulations are released July 10th we will have a much better idea of what the future of online poker will be like.

If the regulations are weak, like many perdict, Poker Stars will remain.

It's my opinion if the regulations are strong that the bigger more "public" sites like Poker Stars and Full Tilt will be the ones to go. The smaller sites like pit bull or pharoahs poker will remain.

Even if the regs are strong, its my opinion there will allways be a place to play. The market demand is big and strong enough, someone will always offer games to US residents and someone will allways try to process US payments.

Sniper
05-20-2007, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyway to try to anwser your question. When the regulations are released July 10th we will have a much better idea of what the future of online poker will be like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't hold your breath...

Izzy Vega
05-20-2007, 03:42 PM
Dont hold your breath???????????????

What do you mean?

The regulations wont be release July 10th?

We wont have a better idea once the regs are released?

Please expand on 'dont hold your breath'!!!!!!!!!

Skallagrim
05-20-2007, 05:12 PM
I'd say the odds are at least 3-1 against the government meeting the 7/10 date. This is based on 3 observations: the nature of government bureaucracies in general, that these regs are a particularly comlicated subject, and that they havent even put up a perfunctory "draft for public comment" anywhere as of yet.

The bad side is the political pressure from Kyl and his ilk.

So dont hold your breath... /images/graemlins/wink.gif its especially bad practice for someone who is anxious about things (exept, of course, as part of a yoga-type technique to calm down).

Skallagrim

TreyWilly
05-20-2007, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

I laughed.

cROUNDER33
05-20-2007, 06:03 PM
Thats what i wrote in another forum the supply and demand and one company will always be willing to give to United States players. WIth that being said it sounds like which ever ones open to United states will become the new "pokerstars" if worse comes to worse and pokerstars even closes which i think is highly doubtful.

Sniper
05-20-2007, 06:49 PM
Izzy, skall pretty much covered it...

Izzy Vega
05-20-2007, 07:00 PM
OK lets get down to it. The only ways I can think of for a US bank to block gaming relateed transactions is by a black list or coding.

1. black list-skall allready suggested a black list is useless. The list will only contain information from publicly traded poker sites (most of which dont allow US residents anyway). And what is to stop a poker site from changing their information?

so they are left with.....

2. coding every transaction. What would stop a poker site from 'mis-coding there transactions'?

Skall or Sniper-
What is your personal opinion about the future of online poker?
1. Do you feel the UIGEA will be sucessful and end online poker?

2. Do you feel the status quo will remain untill online poker is regualted?

looking for personal opinion....you guys have to have one....and im dying to hear it.

tangled
05-20-2007, 07:10 PM
What kind of regulations, tough or weak, is not the only thing to be considered. The regulations are not being written in a vacuum. They will have to work in the real world. If tough - the banks may not have the means to implement them, inexpensively. And if weak - they may not be able to stop all the work arounds

As to whether or not they will be ready by July 10: it seems to me everyday they are delayed, it will be said, with ever increasing volume, that the feds can‘t come up with regs that are both effective and practical. The result might be that people and sites will become emboldened and internet poker will experience a surge. It will be fun to watch Kyl pitch a hissy then.

AlexM
05-20-2007, 08:17 PM
There will be no time that I am unable to go online to play poker, cause if there were, I'd move. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Dan82
05-21-2007, 12:28 AM
Wait, is there a federal law banning poker? As far as I know, the UIEGA or whatever makes transactions between fin instituions and "gambling" sites illegal. Yet what law makes poker illegal? In fact, in CA, the trend is towards broader legalizations of poker (i.e. higher betting limits, NL etc). So if I can play in my local card room, whats the difference if I play online? Isn't it the same as online banking vs B&M?

Dan82
05-21-2007, 12:36 AM
I don't know about a surge, maybe constant/slight increase in player volume. Still, I am optimistic about Stars and Full Tilt. After all, they continue to try and send as many players to the WSOP as possible this year. This is not consistent with a company who is about to pull out of the market. Look at how quick party and the others were to pull out.
Additionally, are the Ivys and the likes really about to continue to support a site that is approaching trouble? IMO, they have consulted enough lawyers, etc to feel comfortable continuing to play the nosebeed stakes so close to the "deadline."

Dan82
05-21-2007, 12:43 AM
Oh one other think: A couple of months I was railing Mike Matesow on FTP.He said it ain't going nowhere lol!

Izzy Vega
05-21-2007, 01:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wait, is there a federal law banning poker? As far as I know, the UIEGA or whatever makes transactions between fin instituions and "gambling" sites illegal. Yet what law makes poker illegal? In fact, in CA, the trend is towards broader legalizations of poker (i.e. higher betting limits, NL etc). So if I can play in my local card room, whats the difference if I play online? Isn't it the same as online banking vs B&M?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just some mis-communication I think. The UIGEA prohibits american financial institutions from making transactions with online gaming sites. Online poker itself is not illegal. The UIGEA did not make playing online illegal.

mackem
05-31-2007, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Just some mis-communication I think. The UIGEA prohibits american financial institutions from making transactions with online gaming sites. Online poker itself is not illegal. The UIGEA did not make playing online illegal.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you'll still be able to enjoy a play money game?

Artsemis
05-31-2007, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you'll still be able to enjoy a play money game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you get to the point where you have to reload =d Games are going to be tough if it happens though.