PDA

View Full Version : Chimp Blood

tolbiny
05-19-2007, 11:27 PM
Out of curiosity does anyone here know how different Chimpanzee blood is from Humans? How many changes would we have to make genetically to make chimp blood transferable to humans? I'd like to start a blood bank where we gave people chimp blood and need to get going on this ASAP!

MelchyBeau
05-20-2007, 01:12 AM
I believe they have already been able to modify the genetics of pigs to allow us to use pig's blood. I could be wrong about this though

Woolygimp
05-20-2007, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I believe they have already been able to modify the genetics of pigs to allow us to use pig's blood. I could be wrong about this though

[/ QUOTE ]
Armour brand thyroid replacement medication is from dessicated pig thyroid glands.

It's supposedly far superior to the synthetic thyroid replacement medications at the moment, and it's basically t3/t4 thyroxine hormone from a pig.

It's been around for a while, and as far as blood that's an entirely different ball game. Human to human blood transfers have enough problems as is due to incompatibility, and you expect to inject another animals blood into someone?

Their immune system would immediately start attacking the foreign vessels, and you could expect shock and death.

arahant
05-20-2007, 02:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Out of curiosity does anyone here know how different Chimpanzee blood is from Humans? How many changes would we have to make genetically to make chimp blood transferable to humans? I'd like to start a blood bank where we gave people chimp blood and need to get going on this ASAP!

[/ QUOTE ]
I suggest starting your bloodbank in an offshore location.

PLOlover
05-20-2007, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard something like they have gmo pigs that are 20% human or something. maybe 50%. very limited for science research, not in food or anything. can't remember if its pigs or some other animal.

CORed
05-20-2007, 01:50 PM
I see little value in this, even if it worked biologically. Chimps are difficult and expensive animals to keep. Although juvenile chimps are adorable, adult chimps, especially males, are mean, nasty, dangerous animals. Then again, so are humans if they are kept caged all the time. I seriously doubt that you could make enough money selling blood for transfusions to cover the cost of keeping the chimps.