PDA

View Full Version : Two AK hands in huge pots

aargh57
01-04-2006, 03:06 PM
I was in Vegas this last week playing 4-8 at MGM. I got into two very similar situations with AK (although I think the first one wasn't suited and the second one was). In both situations I ended up capping (5 bet cap there) pf and got 5 callers (25 SB) and in both situations the flop came pretty uncoordinated, A high, rainbow. I played them both differently and it's been bugging me ever since. In both games the players were very loose and pretty passive. (Generally didn't get capped pf). This is from memory but I'm more concerned about how to play in these types of situations then these specific two. The specific cards on the flop may not be the same but I don't think they are different enough to make a change in what should be the correct play.

Hand 1) UTG limps UTG +1 raises, Hero reraises, 5 fold, blinds call, UTG reraises, UTG +1 calls, Hero caps, all call.

Flop comes AT8 rainbow

UTG bets, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls, blinds call

Turn is 5
UTG bets, Hero raises

Hand 2)
I don't remember the exact betting sequence pf but I ended up capping it and I think there was one or two callers before the button so after the flop my position was in the CO or MP.

Flop A83
All check to Hero who bets

Now here was my thinking. In hand 1, if I raise I'm still giving everyone 13.5 to one to call which would make anyone with 3 or more outs correct odds to call. I realise that by only calling I'm giving 27 to 1 to call but the better was on my immediate right so I figured I'd be able to raise the turn and force the field with calling getting only 8 to one or so.
In the second hand I bet because I had no garauntee where the bet was going to come from on the turn so my best chance was to just value bet and hope my hand held up.

In these types of situations I usually revert to trying to maximize my chances to win the pot and I think of the KK example in SSH on p.263. Am I overusing this concept? Did I play either or both hands incorrectly? Sorry about the lack of specific reads and vagueness but the oppenents here were all pretty loose and passive in these hands. Any help/comments would be appreciated.

pauliewalnuts
01-04-2006, 04:18 PM
I think you played both hands well. Hand one seems like a great place to wait for the turn to raise. Nobody is folding a gutshot or bottom pair to a raise on the flop.

Betting the flop in hand 2 is your only option.