PDA

View Full Version : Speculative pre-flop scenario: SB with limpers

foal
05-18-2007, 02:05 PM
Here's a pre-flop situation I've been thinking about today. I'm a beginner, but I'm going to give my own thoughts on even though they might be horrible, because I think I'll learn better this way. And in hopes that someone will be able to correct any flawed thinking about hand standards. I play 5NL 6-max.

SB with 2-3 limpers. What range should I complete with?
I have the worst position, but good pot odds (6-1 or so assuming no BB raise). I would complete with suited aces, suited connectors 54s+, unsuited connectors TJo+, KJ, AT-QJ, 9Js, KTs and QTs. I would raise with TT+ or AK.

Should I loosen my range here? Tighten it?

canavarr
05-18-2007, 02:20 PM
depending on the stack sizes, if playing deep stacks, I would loosen the range a little bit.
Call: any suited connector or suited gapper, any unsuited connector 54o+ (no gapper), any two cards both T+, AX, KXs.
Raise: 88+, AJ+ (raise 4bb+1bb/limper)

Antinome
05-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Rather than focus on cards I always ask myself "who will call when I raise?" If I like the answer I raise. If I don't like the answer I ask myself "do I have a hand that plays well multiway?" and "Are any of these limpers likely to take a marginal hand too far postflop?" and "Do these players have stacks deep enough for me to mess around?" If the answer to all is yes I call. Otherwise I fold. Some things I will always squeeze with, namely 88+,AQ+.