PDA

View Full Version : IQ of top poker players

ZenMasterFlex
10-06-2005, 02:59 AM
I am posting this here because there seems to be a higher % of well thought out intelligent posts than in the other forums where I usually am.
I was reading a post last night which discussed Bobby Fisher's IQ which is either estimated or tested near or at 180.
I was simply wondering How important IQ is at poker.
Basically I wonder If you take a guy with a 150 IQ and another one with say 135, and let them lead their seperate lives and at age 25 they both sit down for their first game of poker, at the same table. Who is the favorite without any other information about these two men why? And if there were other variables about these two men, which one's would you first want to know and why?
Also would any of these variables change your opinion of who was the favorite?
I am fascinated with Highly intelligent people Like Bobby Fisher. Who sits down at a game of complete information and has unimaginable genius. And then away from that game has such a frail grasp of reality. It's as if one part of his mind couldn't be bound, and another was doomed to believe all the racist things he was taught.
I wonder if he would have been a calling station?
Never COMPLETELY sure of what you held.
I wonder what the estimated IQs of top players are estimated to be. Ungar, Greenstein, Brunson, Reese, Ivey, ok Sklansky, Malmuth? Ivey? Flack? Hellmuth? David Phan? Chris Moneymaker, HOYT CORKINS?
I've heard of these player who are supposedly genius but if asked how they do what they do they would be as articulate as "a jungle cat articulating how he hunts"

Please take a stab at any of these thoughts or question. Id like to hear one of your mensa guys opinions on the top player IQ question. Or Sklansky's as he would have experience with some of these men.
I would also like to hear of a low IQ top player. Are there any? Maybe an idiot savant type?

runout_mick
10-06-2005, 03:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Chris Moneymaker

[/ QUOTE ]

You trying to bring the average down?

ZenMasterFlex
10-06-2005, 03:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Chris Moneymaker

[/ QUOTE ]

You trying to bring the average down?

[/ QUOTE ]
That was the point. I started with Ungar and ended with....um... Hoyt Corkins I think. This was just a list from top to bottom from the opinion of someone on the outside looking in. Granted looking in through Books, and TV, as I have never met a single one of these men. That is why I was asking the opinion of some of the IQ geeks and Sklansky. They are better informed..... Hopefully

mosquito
10-06-2005, 04:25 AM
David had a series of posts, including 10 most intelligent... which included discussions of poker players. It was last year, I can't seem to find it by searching..... would have given a link.

ZenMasterFlex
10-06-2005, 04:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
David had a series of posts, including 10 most intelligent... which included discussions of poker players. It was last year, I can't seem to find it by searching..... would have given a link.

[/ QUOTE ]
I need that link. 1 year ago? David sklansky?

Warren Whitmore
10-06-2005, 07:35 AM
Oddly enough I was out walking my dogs just now and was thinking about something similar. I was thinking of two groups of people one with an IQ 2 sigma above the mean (130) and another group 2 sigma below the mean (70) and was wondering if they had an equal amount of professional training how wide the gap would be.

In a 10:20 stud ring game all opponants startting with $1000 I figured it would take about 30 hours for all of the 70 IQ's to be broke. That delta 4 standard deviations of intelligence would just be to great to overcome. I was wondering how small that gap would have to be before other variables became more important and would turn the difference into noise. I am thinking about 6 points.

TheTROLL
10-06-2005, 08:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

In a 10:20 stud ring game all opponants startting with $1000 I figured it would take about 30 hours for all of the 70 IQ's to be broke.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong. The 70's wouldn't even be able to pick up the basics - that is borderline retard territory. The idea of them lasting 30 hours against a bunch of reasonably bright guys is laughable.

Hofzinser
10-06-2005, 09:08 AM
Sklansky's 10 smartest poker players (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=&Number=1435626&page=&view =&sb=5&o=&fpart=)

The Truth
10-06-2005, 10:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sklansky's 10 smartest poker players (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=&Number=1435626&page=&view =&sb=5&o=&fpart=)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I think this question has been asked like a million times.

I think the comedian IQ thing was more interesting.

-blake

Warren Whitmore
10-06-2005, 10:24 AM
Ante $1
forced low $3
30 hands/hr
Fold every hand
$1000 in 30 hours

Warren Whitmore
10-06-2005, 10:25 AM
Not good. I agree with him and he rated me extreamly stupid.

TheTROLL
10-06-2005, 10:29 AM
This would work if they took their seats and did nothing, sat there just waiting to lose without intervening. Nice idea, but your retards wouldn't think of that - they'd start playing hands. Flipping up mixed hearts/diamonds for a "red" flush, that sort of thing.

If you're allowed to inject them with a muscle relaxant first, so they can't act even if they want to, and the dealer puts their antes in - then maybe...

ZenMasterFlex
10-07-2005, 06:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This would work if they took their seats and did nothing, sat there just waiting to lose without intervening. Nice idea, but your retards wouldn't think of that - they'd start playing hands. Flipping up mixed hearts/diamonds for a "red" flush, that sort of thing.

If you're allowed to inject them with a muscle relaxant first, so they can't act even if they want to, and the dealer puts their antes in - then maybe...

[/ QUOTE ]
Hilarious image

David Sklansky
10-07-2005, 07:44 AM
Since that list came out I found out that Ed Miller scored 1600 on his SAT. I now make him tied with Chris Ferguson for third followed by Lederer and Geary.

ZenMasterFlex
10-07-2005, 08:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Since that list came out I found out that Ed Miller scored 1600 on his SAT. I now make him tied with Chris Ferguson for third followed by Lederer and Geary.

[/ QUOTE ]
I read the "TOP 10 IQ players" Thread and after wading through all of the hate found it pretty interesting.
However I wasn't looking for the highest IQs in poker although I'm glad I got the link, as it was very interesting, I was more looking for the IQs of TOP players.
I don't know what it is but when I see Phil Ivey at a table on TV it just seems that he is going to get all the $. So I find it interesting that he isn't on your top 10 list.

I guess IQ isn't all important in all aspects of poker.
I bet Hoyt Corkins is the "Smartest at Farming" player.
But I have a feeling neither that nor his IQ is what makes him a good player.
I could be wrong. Maybe his IQ is off the charts.

I think everyone wonders what makes the best the best.

David Sklansky
10-07-2005, 08:25 AM
Phil Ivey is very smart. My top ten smartest are all excellent players. Intelligence is a major factor in poker success. But since there are other factors and since moderately intelligent people far outnumber brilliant people, it is probable that the best practitioner will not be one of the very most intelligent. This Bayes's Theorem fact confuses many people into thinking that it is wrong to say that the smarter you are the greater your chances of success.

ZenMasterFlex
10-07-2005, 09:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Phil Ivey is very smart. My top ten smartest are all excellent players. Intelligence is a major factor in poker success. But since there are other factors and since moderately intelligent people far outnumber brilliant people, it is probable that the best practitioner will not be one of the very most intelligent. This Bayes's Theorem fact confuses many people into thinking that it is wrong to say that the smarter you are the greater your chances of success.

[/ QUOTE ]
Perfectly answered thank you. Overkill in fact.
I wonder where Stu Ungar would be on this list if he were still alive.

TomBrooks
05-03-2006, 05:26 PM
http://iq-test.learninginfo.org/iq04.htm

Apparently, the IQ gives a good indication of the occupational group that a person will end up in, though not of course the specific occupation. In their book, Know Your Child’s IQ, Glen Wilson and Diana Grylls outline occupations typical of various IQ levels:

140 Top Civil Servants; Professors and Research Scientists.
130 Physicians and Surgeons; Lawyers; Engineers (Civil and Mechanical)
120 School Teachers; Pharmacists; Accountants; Nurses; Stenographers; Managers.
110 Foremen; Clerks; Telephone Operators; Salesmen; Policemen; Electricians.
100+ Machine Operators; Shopkeepers; Butchers; Welders; Sheet Metal Workers.
100- Warehousemen; Carpenters; Cooks and Bakers; Small Farmers; Truck and Van Drivers.
90 Laborers; Gardeners; Upholsterers; Farmhands; Miners; Factory Packers and Sorters.