PDA

View Full Version : 98s Flush on the turn

Backinblue
05-16-2007, 07:12 PM
Do I call river just to see what he has? Could I have done anything different other than maybe raise PF. Thoughts please.

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.01/$0.02 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh))

<font color="black">SB: $5.38</font>
<u>BB: $1.70</u>
UTG: $0.74
MP: $1.00
<u>Hero (CO): $6.45</u>
BTN: $8.18

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif (6 Players)
2 folds, Hero calls $0.02, BTN folds, SB calls $0.01, BB checks

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($0.06) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (3 Players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($0.06) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif (3 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">BB bets $0.06</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.20</font>, SB folds, BB calls $0.14

<font color="black">River:</font> ($0.46) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $0.56</font>, Hero calls $0.56

Pot Size: $1.58 ($0.05 Rake)

coordi
05-16-2007, 07:26 PM
unlucky, he probly had the ace and couldnt let it go. you have to call down here but your pretty much lost.

Keys Myaths
05-16-2007, 07:27 PM
Fold the river, please.

You're only beating a bluff, and he's not doing that more than 50% of the time.

Backinblue
05-16-2007, 07:29 PM
On second thought, maybe I could have bet on the flop with so many outs. The same thing happened to me yesterday where I shoved in this same situation and lost to quads on the river even with a made flush.

Frosteater
05-16-2007, 08:05 PM
You could have bet the flop, for instance. Since nobody seemed interested so far, you could have taken down the pot very well right there. And if not, you still have quite a strong draw and the added bonus of it being a bit less obvious when you hit.

As you already mentioned you probably should have raised preflop. Although I think 98s isn't to bad if you absolutely want to call here and indeed "limpable" with previous callers, open-limping in 6max is generally considered horrible play. By raising you could take the pot down pre-flop (and remember, you want to steal blinds if you have the chance to do so) and every unraised pot has the problem that the big blind could have absolutely anything, so it's real hard to judge whether your hand is good on later streets. Not so much a problem with hands that hit mainly straights and flushes, but I'd still make it a habit to never open-limp.

And in this case you don't call the river bet to see what he has. Remember, he's the BB and didn't have to do anything to get to the turn, so it's nice to know what he had, but you won't learn too much about how he plays and how to exploit it. You already showed strength when the flush came in and still see a push, so it's highly unlikely that you're up against a bluff, especially in an unraised pot. So the only hands you beat here are 98 and 3, 4 and 5 of spades. 98 is highly unlikely to bet the turn and a single 3, 4 or 5 of spades wouldn't call the raise. This reduces the hands you beat to 54s, 53s and 43s, all of which would be happy to see a cheap showdown instead of overbetting. You're beat here most if not all of the time and gain practically nothing by calling, so I think you can just let this one go.