PDA

View Full Version : Who takes over during a blackout?

RippedNReady
05-14-2007, 09:37 AM
During times that I drink too much too quickly, I will sometimes blackout... I have no recollection of what I was or am doing, but I am fully functional for the most part. I do however commit outlandish acts that I would not normally do sober... I don't pass out during these experiences, I am on somewhat of autodrive.... I am just wondering what part of yourself takes over during these blackouts... Is it primitive, animalistic self, or maybe just yourself with no inhibitions? Thanks

vhawk01
05-14-2007, 11:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
During times that I drink too much too quickly, I will sometimes blackout... I have no recollection of what I was or am doing, but I am fully functional for the most part. I do however commit outlandish acts that I would not normally do sober... I don't pass out during these experiences, I am on somewhat of autodrive.... I am just wondering what part of yourself takes over during these blackouts... Is it primitive, animalistic self, or maybe just yourself with no inhibitions? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Xenu LDO.

Ok, fine. In reality, your brain is made up of many different 'modules' which control different functions, some for decision-making, some for social inhibition, some for conscious perception, that sort of thing. Modules is probably an incorrect term, since they aren't discrete and there is probably overlap, but its close enough. Alcohol affects social inhibition, blacking out affects conscious perception, but as long as you are awake, you are still making decisions.

Also, its ALL 'you,' and you are the one in charge at all times. Most of what you do is sub- or unconscious anyway, you just become quickly aware of it after you do it and integrate it into your perceptual narrative. When you are blacked out, you don't.

PLOlover
05-14-2007, 11:53 AM
something I read is that there are drugs that block memory formation, but otherwise leave you perfectly normal. I'm not sure they do this anymore, but they used to give them to birthing mothers, not so they wouldn't feel the pain, but so that they wouldn't remember it later. I always thought that was interesting.

Bill Haywood
05-14-2007, 06:19 PM
The idea that there is another sentient being in your brain that takes over is very far-fetched. You simply are not retaining memories because you are a lush.

Metric
05-14-2007, 07:47 PM
Who takes over? Why, little demons that run around in your head, of course.

twonine29
05-14-2007, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who takes over? Why, Satan, of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

BigBuffet
05-15-2007, 01:28 PM
When you blackout, your brain goes into 'safe-mode'.

PLOlover
05-15-2007, 02:02 PM
ok I'll let you guys in on a secret, but you have to promise not to tell.

duringthose times when you "blackout", someone else wakes up and says to himself, holy crap, what happened, I must have blacked out (during the times when "you" are awake)

m_the0ry
05-15-2007, 02:23 PM
Alcohol slowly suppresses brain activity in different parts. When you black out, the hippocampus is the part that is being depressed to the point that it can't function properly. It is heavily tied to memory function and motor coordination.

One interesting thing to note is that the hippocampus starts screwing up at different points for different people. One person can have just a few drinks, completely lose temporal memory (blacking out) and yet appear to be almost totally sober to the people around them. Who takes over when you are blacked out is without a doubt you, you just can't remember anything.

I find it entertaining when people use being blacked out as an excuse for their behavior. If you start hitting on someone else's girlfriend when you're drunk, the fact that you're drunk is only an excuse to the extent that you are less inhibited in your actions. The fact that you might not remember it just reinforces the fact that you're attracted to the person on -at the very least- a subconscious level.

PairTheBoard
05-15-2007, 03:01 PM
I would say that your Really Drunk Self is in action. The fact that you don't remember is irrelevant. If you were playing poker at the time, your bankroll suffers just the same. So does your resevoir of friendships. Regardless of what you are like when you are drunk, it's still you and you will be held accountable. You are also the one who took the drinks.

I once had an in office operation where the doctor told me he was going to use a new kind of anasthesia that allowed me to stay awake and cooperate with what he needed to do, but which would erase my memory of it all later on. I may have gone through considerable pain during the procedure but I don't remember. Seems to have worked out all right, but I still don't like the idea.

PairTheBoard