PDA

View Full Version : why Christianity is popular

Metric
05-11-2007, 02:31 PM
A) I want to live forever

B) I want to be connected to the Big Boss somehow

I understand that I might be wrong, but if I want to have any chance to accomplish these things, I should probably place my personal bet on a religion in which:

A) Eternal life is given away almost freely -- i.e. without the requirement that I jump through hoops and am better than everyone else

B) The big boss is interested in connecting with me

C) Long tradition and historical claims of dramatic signs and wonders is useful to distinguish it from the output of some "random religion generator" put up on the internet that already meets A and B.

This is analogous to the drunk who drops his keys on the way home from the bar, and needs to go back and find them. The keys may or may not be under the street light, but that is where he should look, because that's the only place he's going to find them.

Maybe I'm assuming too much rationality on the part of the average Christian here, but this does seem to me to go a long way in explaining the popularity of Christianity. Do you find anything basically wrong with this story?

aeest400
05-11-2007, 03:09 PM
I'll add:

People want to live in a just and "morally ordered" universe.

People want to be able to "explain" phenomena, both with respect to their lives and the world at large, and "it's god's will" is a sort of explanation, as least subjectively.

I really think folks underestimate the "explanatory" role of religion, particularly in earlier times. It at least turns "unknown unknows" into "know unknowns." If an earthquake happens there isn't much more you need to know by way of explanation, if you belive it to be the result of god's will, than that god willed it and "everything happens for a reason."

Schmitty 87
05-11-2007, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
People want to live in a just and "morally ordered" universe.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of Christians believe that the universe is anything but just and ordered when looked at from the human's perspective.

revots33
05-11-2007, 03:42 PM
I'd also add that Christianity puts a human face on god (Jesus) in a way no other major religion does. This seems as though it might be appealing to those who find it hard to relate to some inanimate superbeing.

KUJustin
05-11-2007, 03:50 PM
I think you could argue that more ppl want to earn what they get, be punished when they do wrong, and have a sense of fairness rather than a free ride.

Lots of Christians turn from God or cut themselves off from God during times that they view themselves as being more disobedient often out of a desire to punish themselves for their actions.

Phil153
05-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Christianity has the most powerful stick and carrot story. For example, here's Christianity's premise in PetMonkeyanity:

"You're an evil sinner, but my pet monkey died a horrible death, so that you might be saved. Why deny my pet monkey's love for you? All you have to do is trust in my pet monkey and you'll get a pot of gold."

See how powerful that is? It's a perfect psychological mix of guilt, transfer of blame, reward, threat, and grace. In addition, there are so many interpretations and sects that people can choose whatever fits them, even in complete contradiction with others.

And I wouldn't call Christianity unexpectedly popular. It simply followed the routes and conquests of the European traders. Just as Islam followed the routes of the Arab traders and has over a billion followers.

Phil153
05-11-2007, 04:01 PM
I'd also add that things like transubstantiation, baptisms, Jesus/Christmas stories, etc, are very effective indoctrination methods for kids. Young people swallow this stuff whole and end up associating truth, morality and love with Jesus and God. This sets up a lifelong habit of conflating these things with their feelings about God. Look at NotReady.

chezlaw
05-11-2007, 05:30 PM
I think many people enjoy living in a christian (and other religous) community. It provides a community and an order and focus for life which can be very pleasant.

chez

Subfallen
05-11-2007, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd also add that things like transubstantiation, baptisms, Jesus/Christmas stories, etc, are very effective indoctrination methods for kids. Young people swallow this stuff whole and end up associating truth, morality and love with Jesus and God. This sets up a lifelong habit of conflating these things with their feelings about God. Look at NotReady.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually NR doesn't even have the excuse of early indoctrination. He's self-indoctrinated (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2740503/site_id/1#import):

[ QUOTE ]
When I was actually converted the last thing I was thinking about was God and religion. A friend of mine introduced me to another friend who was a devoted Christian, and I agreed to discuss it with him. He answered some objections I had, mostly concerning predestination. His answers were almost exclusively Bible texts, with some elaboration. I believe it was the use of the Bible which convicted me, and I believe that most if not all true conversions come from hearing the Word. My conversion was not a logical process, nor an exhaustive search for evidence. I believe that God prepares the heart, and this is different for each individual, and the final conversion is almost always tied to something from Scripture.

From the moment I believed I never questioned whether the Bible is God's Word. I have done some digging when questions have come up but have always found the objections are ill-conceived, often just plain wrong. But I do believe the only way anyone can accept the Bible as God's Word is through His enabling power. Salvation is from God, and no one can accept the Gospel apart from His grace.

I make these arguments now because I believe the charge made that Christianity is irrational and that we make a blind leap of faith is demonstrably false. Christianity is the only worldview that can give an account of logic and reason, only Christianity is a rational worldview. But I don't believe any human argument can convince someone to become a Christian. I can give you the reasons and answer your questions, and perhaps God will use that in persuading you, but my arguments in themselves will never do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's ironic that Evangelicals "saved" outside the Church always feel they're being logical about Christianity, since their "logic" always involves a bizarre denial of the Catholic authority that established the scriptural canon they hold so dear.

Phil153
05-11-2007, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Christianity is the only worldview that can give an account of logic and reason, only Christianity is a rational worldview.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've read the NotReady story before, and there a number of examples of devout born agains. I used NotReady as a prime example of someone who conflates his understanding of faith, reason and morality with his feelings about Jesus. The two are not linked at all, even if God exists, but he believes they are. And so any attack on God becomes an attack on the foundation of those other things. Hence silly posts such as "If God doesn't exists there is no morality, hence God must exist".

Ben K
05-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Yeah, I think you underestimate the kids picking up on dads (research says it's dads, read it can't back it up tho sorry) religion.

As in, most people don't even realise there is a question about life after death until they are presented with the solution in thier religion....