PDA

View Full Version : The "online gaming bill" will it change anything really

DONTUSETHIS
02-18-2006, 01:49 AM
Maybe I dont understand, but I dont think it will effect that much. The sites are ran outside of the US. If you cannont put the money into an online gaming site via your bank or credit cards, then you can use neteller or some other website that will process gaming transactions outside of the US. So all and all nothing will change. Is this true or am I missing some of the facts.

Max Weinberg
02-18-2006, 02:02 AM
They could always pull what the Italians have pulled (or are trying to pull) which is have all the ISPs block outgoing connections to gaming sites. With Neteller and thirty seconds to learn how to use a proxy, even that isn't much of a big deal.

TStoneMBD
02-18-2006, 02:04 AM
OMG THERE ARE A MILLION OF THESE THREADS IN EVERY FORUM STOP MAKING NEWS ONES PLS

DONTUSETHIS
02-18-2006, 02:50 AM
not trying to " clutter the forum or anything" but everything else i have read is people either in a state of panic or how to write your congressmen. I just wondered what would chanve if this passes.

BassMasterK
02-18-2006, 10:39 PM
The article on the bill states that it would allow the fedral government to get ISP's to block access to sites that allow online gambling.

I think that this would constitute more than just 'nothing will change'.

If you like playing online, get a hold of your local state rep and let them know you don't want the bill to pass.

dustyn
02-19-2006, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The article on the bill states that it would allow the fedral government to get ISP's to block access to sites that allow online gambling.

If you like playing online, get a hold of your local state rep and let them know you don't want the bill to pass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the thing. Downloading pirated music/software/movies is illegal as well. When the RIAA was trying to sue individual downloaders for their "crimes," ISPs refused to cooperate, even though it is clearly against the law. ISPs, traditionally, have little/no interest in ratting out customers for stuff like this.

Jimbo
02-19-2006, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the thing. Downloading pirated music/software/movies is illegal as well. When the RIAA was trying to sue individual downloaders for their "crimes," ISPs refused to cooperate, even though it is clearly against the law. ISPs, traditionally, have little/no interest in ratting out customers for stuff like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is one thing for a corporate entity to sue an ISP and quite another for the US government to order them to do so.

Jimbo

bobbyi
02-19-2006, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When the RIAA was trying to sue individual downloaders for their "crimes," ISPs refused to cooperate, even though it is clearly against the law. ISPs, traditionally, have little/no interest in ratting out customers for stuff like this.

[/ QUOTE ]
A private company (or group of private companies) asking for an ISP to violate its cusomters' privacy by turning over records about what they've done so it can sue them isn't remotely similar to the government asking an ISP to block a specific site because it is criminal.

Ungoliant
02-19-2006, 04:19 PM
Is there any precedent for something like this? Are there sites out there today that are being blocked across the board by ISPs due to US law?