PDA

View Full Version : Is this "gambling" even legal?

Hellmouth
05-08-2007, 12:03 PM
For 99 cents per call you can call this website with a text message. There is a weekly jackpot prize and they also claim to give you jokes. You can play up to 5 times per week to max out your claim on the jackpot which is I guess given away randomly.

I heard about it on an ad on Sirius radio. This seems like gambling to me. Anyone think it is crazy this crap can go on (obviouslly no age restrictions and easier access for minors to text than even depositing to websites using credit cards means minors could play) and yet poker is not ok?

Greg

Rastadon
05-08-2007, 12:22 PM
There is usually a way to enter these contests for free, but it is so complicated that most people will just text and pay the $.99.

cowboy.up
05-08-2007, 02:15 PM
are you paying .99 for the 'jokes' and as a 'thank you' you are entered into a drawing for cash? and if you call/text the sixth time in a week are you still charged, and receive a joke but no 'thank you' entry?

Hellmouth
05-08-2007, 02:27 PM
no idea. It just seemed crazy to me. I guess this is similar to the McDonalds Monopoly. "No purchase necessary." Send in a post card and we will send you baltic ave every time.

Greg

allbad
05-08-2007, 11:34 PM
online texting jackpot schemes are rigged. only winner I know of this is John Tuttle.

asterion
05-08-2007, 11:42 PM
As I type this, I had to sit through another one of those easy "text this word" thing for a chance to win $15,000. I just can't figure out who's dumb enough to actually do that--probably the same people that send text messages for ringtones and vote for American Idol.