PDA

View Full Version : Probability of Extraterritorial Life in the Solar System

Piers
05-06-2007, 06:58 PM
So what do you estimate is the probability of life existing in the solar system, out side of earth or anything we have ejected into space.

ApeAttack
05-06-2007, 07:20 PM
"anything we have ejected into space"
Do you mean ejections due to a comet hitting the earth or would microbes from rover count?

By 'life' do you include the smallest and simplest lifeforms such as bacteria, algae, etc.?

I would guess a very low percentage. The rest of the solar system is either really cold or really hot (I know there are lifeforms at both extremes here on earth).

However, if we are talking about the universe, not just the solar system, then the percentage should go way up.

(Whoops... I chose 90% instead of something much lower on the poll. I originally read the question to be the probability of life in the 'universe', not 'solar system')

MegaloMialo
05-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Having written (I've met them) at the end will get you a lot of 100 pro cent votes.

Piers
05-06-2007, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"anything we have ejected into space"
Do you mean ejections due to a comet hitting the earth or would microbes from rover count?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am eliminating any microbes on space probes and satellites etc… we have sent into space, or anyone on the, or on route to the international space station.

[ QUOTE ]
By 'life' do you include the smallest and simplest lifeforms such as bacteria, algae, etc.?

[/ QUOTE ]

By life I mean life.

[ QUOTE ]
I would guess a very low percentage. The rest of the solar system is either really cold or really hot (I know there are lifeforms at both extremes here on earth).

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is 25% almost certainly on Europa.

[ QUOTE ]
However, if we are talking about the universe, not just the solar system, then the percentage should go way up.

[/ QUOTE ]

The chance of exterritorial life in the universe is obviously 100% so its not an interesting question.

FortunaMaximus
05-06-2007, 11:41 PM
0.01%, and that's admittedly generous. I tend to think archeology will yield a few surprises in the System. Titan and Europa seem viable candidates for currently existing life. A higher % for there having been life at some point in the evolution of the Solar System. I'd have to think about that one though. Put me in the book as someone that gives radiation its full credit for being a very efficient quality control mechanism.

That said, such life is bound to be primitive and simplistic in nature.

I agree that in the Universe as a whole, it's not a terribly interesting question. It should, however, approach 100%.

Assume that life is encountered. What is the correct course of action then? Leaving it to develop in its own environment or merely taking the space?

Borodog
05-07-2007, 08:39 PM
Your poll has far too many choices.

thylacine
05-07-2007, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't tell if "fat chance" is more likely or less likely than "slim chance". /images/graemlins/confused.gif

You're not tricking us are you Borodog? /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Borodog
05-07-2007, 09:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't tell if "fat chance" is more likely or less likely than "slim chance". /images/graemlins/confused.gif

You're not tricking us are you Borodog? /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's an old joke: "There are two chances of that: Fat and slim, and slim just left town."