PDA

View Full Version : 50nl: 2 smallish bluffs vs unknowns

barryc83
05-05-2007, 07:37 PM
Villain is pretty much unknown. He appears to be a fishy loose passive however. Hes been seeing a lot of flops. Is this terrible? On the flop I figure that no one has a K and I can steal it. Then I check bc I have 9 high and if the draw misses I'll bet. So I half pot the river bc I'm like 95% sure he doesn't have a K now. Standard? Am I dumb for bluffing an unknown?

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $35.95
UTG+1: $54.65
CO: $61.40
Hero: $54.75
SB: $83.60
BB: $50.45

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is Button with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises to $2</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, 3 folds.

Flop: K/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($7.25, 3 players)
UTG+1 checks, CO checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $5</font>, UTG+1 folds, CO calls.

Turn: T/images/graemlins/club.gif ($17.25, 2 players)
CO checks, Hero checks.

River: 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($17.25, 2 players)
CO checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $9</font>

Ok, different unknown villain but once again appears to be a loose passive fish who hasn't raised much pf. Honestly, I prolly could've dumped this pf, but its AQ ffs. I almost raised the flop with his weak bet but I didnt wanna get b/3b by some donk so I figured I'd float OOP and see what he did on the turn. When he makes that bet on the turn I'm fairly sure he doesn't have a pair so I try to take it away. Anyone fire the river? Thoughts opn this entire hand in general.

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $49.75
UTG+1: $50.25
CO: $28.75
Button: $59.55
Hero: $49.50
BB: $56.35

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $1.5</font>, 3 folds, Hero calls, BB folds.

Flop: 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($3.5, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $1</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: 7/images/graemlins/club.gif ($5.5, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $1.5</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $6</font>, UTG calls.

River: 9/images/graemlins/club.gif ($17.5, 2 players)
Hero ???

Waingro
05-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Hand 2 is real easy, fold the flop. I think your first instinct should be listened to.

Hand 1 is so tempting, both the flop and the river and they are not complete spew. But CO will look you up with a far wider range than a K on the river. So does he have a missed fd that didnīt pair up 33% of time? He could also look you up with ace high. I think Iīd just give up.

Chomp
05-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Hand 2 drives me more nuts than anything else I see at the tables. These wankers are telling you they some crappy piece of the flop or some crappy draw, you raise to tell them you are strong and that they should fold, but they call anyway. It is so goddam frustrating and it is impossible to work out what a given unknown will call with and what they'll fold. It's a bloody crapshoot.

Anyway, I think I do the same as OP a lot, but I'm not convinced it's good.

In Hand 1, this reminds me of one the the great sticky posts (I think it's in SS) that lists the most common mistakes in SS/uNL and one of them is not betting to take it on the river in exactly this spot. So I think your stab is good. And my calc says we need to be good 25% of the time (or is it 33%?) and I think that's probably about right.