PDA

View Full Version : 50NL: Fire 2nd barrell to avoid getting floated.

Chomp
05-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Villain 14/10/2.3 over good sample. So a reasonable TAG reg.

I give villain a standard TAG calling range, say something like {22+, A5s+, ATo+, B'way/B'way, occasional random/sc hands}. Actually, maybe a bit narrower than that for this nit, but whatever.

I bet turn for 2 reasons: 1) primarily to avoid getting floated on this dry/unscary board by a large part of an aggroish reg's unmade range and 2) maybe for value/protection against 6 outers.

But are those good enough reasons to risk bloating the pot? C/c or c/f just seem so pathetic given I am the pfr'er.

All in all, I am confused here as I suddenly find myself committed $15 (almost 1/3 of a stack) with a marginal hand, OOP, and with bad RIO. Sheesh...how the hell else do I play this?

Thanks.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Hand History converter (http://www.learnhowtoplaypokerfree.com/convert/convert.cgi) Courtesy of PokerZion.com (http://PokerZion.com)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button ($15.74)
SB ($111.29)
BB ($36.48)
UTG ($49.46)
Hero ($48.75)
<font color="#C00000">CO ($49.25)</font>

Preflop: Hero is MP with 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, CO calls $2, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($6.25) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4.25</font>, CO calls $4.25, BB folds.

Turn: ($14.75) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $9</font>

HaiaN
05-05-2007, 03:25 PM
against this nit just c/f the turn.

doppelganger
05-05-2007, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. He's on Ax most of the time here so we're only afraid of AT. Good turn. I'm bet/folding any non-4/non-broadway river card.

HaiaN
05-05-2007, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. He's on Ax most of the time here so we're only afraid of AT. Good turn. I'm bet/folding any non-4/non-broadway river card.

[/ QUOTE ]
no? villain is 14/10!! He can even have JJ here! preflop his range is probably: most pocket pairs, AK-AQ (no, he has never A5 or whatever here), maybe KQ and thats about it. Hero is behind villains range and villain is unlikely to float since he is not very agressive. Also building a big pot by betting big on this board is absolutely terrible with souch a weak hand. There is also no need to protect your hand because you're either way behind or villain has a marginal draw which is unlikely to hit and if it does its pretty transparent so he has no implied odds. c/f unless you have seen him floating a lot which you probably didn't.

Triggerle
05-05-2007, 03:46 PM
I think his range is narrower than Chomp suggests. Within his 14% are calls in unraised pots. His calling range against raises is probably closer to 10%.

Everlong
05-05-2007, 03:52 PM
I agree 100% this STAT or if you prefer person is never floating you here. He is giving you rope/ taking a better overpair to a cheap showdown.

doppelganger
05-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Ok, ok, I'll concede to the majority. I still think someone this tight and aggressive would be putting in a raise on the flop or turn if we're beat, but I guess it would cost us the $9 to find out and it's not worth it with a fairly marginal hand.

sww
05-05-2007, 05:08 PM
on turn, c/c &gt; b/f IMO. You catch some bluffs that way with the same price. Only issue is to make it through the river.

CaseS87
05-05-2007, 05:16 PM
Yeah this guy is not TAG, this guy is NIT. I think your turn bet functions more as a bluff against 88 and 99. I don't like it vs this opponent.

prodonkey
05-05-2007, 05:21 PM
your pf range is way off in my opinion. It's probably something like pairs.. ATs+ KQs, KQo "maybe", not many suited connectors are in his range.. and I think stuff like JQ, and KT, TJ are usually not in it.

Really the only hands u have beat that he can have is 4's or 6's. I really don't think he shows up with Axs here very often and I don't think he's floating you.. he could easily have something like 8's-J's or could have flopped a set. The turn bet may get him to fold some hands that beat u, and will probably fold most hands that you do beat. So all in all it's not too bad.. but if he calls or raises I'm done with the hand.

xPeru
05-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Check the turn, if he bets reraise all-in, this nit will fold without a set. If he checks and river is a brick, check/fold or check it down.

Bowlboy
05-05-2007, 08:11 PM
This is why I keep the call preflop raise stat on my HUD. Most guys who are 14/10 only call preflop raises with around 5%. Remember part of their range they will be 3betting with. I do however think that villain is capable of floating you with AQ here. AQ has 10 outs against you and he probably has reads on OP as well. Not sure if this logic makes 2nd barrelling a good idea or not. Chances are though you will fold Ax on a brick turn. If he's that nitty he might fold 88 and 99 as well.

Chomp
05-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks for interesting replies.

I'm a standard weak-tight player and am desperatly trying to find those spots where real TAGs put the pressure on and don't allow themselves to be pushed around. I thought this was one of those spots, but I probably overestimated his floating frquency.

And just to say, I play only a bit looser than villain here and I'd float with a lot of my pf calling range in this spot, so while my bet here probably wasn't great, I'm still not sure it's awful.

Fwiw villain rr to $28 and hero folded. Nailed-on set from this nit IMO.

spyderracing
05-05-2007, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for interesting replies.

I'm a standard weak-tight player and am desperatly trying to find those spots where real TAGs put the pressure on and don't allow themselves to be pushed around. I thought this was one of those spots, but I probably overestimated his floating frquency.

And just to say, I play only a bit looser than villain here and I'd float with a lot of my pf calling range in this spot, so while my bet here probably wasn't great, I'm still not sure it's awful.

Fwiw villain rr to $28 and hero folded. Nailed-on set from this nit IMO.

[/ QUOTE ] This isn't one of those spots to apply pressure. The turn isn't a really scary card to most players, and against this guy I'd even be weary of betting an A or K on the turn just because AK is a very realistic holding for him. You don't want to be mixing it up with these guys too much.

Triggerle
05-05-2007, 09:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Invest some thought (and money, unfortunately) into loosing up pre-flop. Someone as tight as you needs serious aggression to make a profit because your hands will be transparent to observant players.