PDA

View Full Version : 50 NL - blind war, flop top pair

ybother
05-03-2007, 11:42 PM
blind war, am I good here enough to call, anyway to play to clear up where I am in this type of hand???

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($82.25)
SB ($30.95)
Hero ($69.45)
UTG ($34.25)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $1</font>, Button calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.50.

Flop: ($3.25) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2.5</font>, UTG calls $2.50, Button folds.

Turn: ($8.25) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, UTG calls $5.

River: ($18.25) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $25.75</font>, Hero ????

CaseS87
05-03-2007, 11:45 PM
T9 is basically never good. Your $10 river bet is basically a bluff.

losingdonkey
05-03-2007, 11:46 PM
I think I'd check this river and call a reasonable bet. As played I'd probably let it go.

tannenj
05-03-2007, 11:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
T9 is basically never good. Your $10 river bet is basically a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

looks like a value bet to me.

[ QUOTE ]
I think I'd check this river and call a reasonable bet. As played I'd probably let it go.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't love cc this river. what are you putting him on, a 7? if i checked, i'd probably only call a very small bet.

op, i think your play is fine, but i'd probably bet a little bigger on every street. now fold.

mrw8419
05-04-2007, 12:34 AM
It's a bluff because worse hands will rarely ever call and some better hands might fold.

I like c/c if he's aggressive, c/f if he's passive

tannenj
05-04-2007, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's a bluff because worse hands will rarely ever call and some better hands might fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

better hands might fold? hahahahaha.

can someone explain the logic behind cc here? it's just to snap off a 7, right? do we think villain might value bet a worse hand?

creamfillin
05-04-2007, 12:41 AM
c/f c/c the turn

ybother
05-04-2007, 12:44 AM
fwiw, villain is 40/17/3.5, over 70 hands

ybother
05-04-2007, 12:47 AM
i bet turn/river thinking he holds a seven alot of the time here

creamfillin
05-04-2007, 12:56 AM
Not sure he would just randomly minraise utg with 7x, but I don't know. I think he has some sort of pair here a bunch of the time. The river raise isn't really a "please just fold raise", it looks more like a value raise than anything. I would say villain connected big here.

mrw8419
05-04-2007, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

can someone explain the logic behind cc here? it's just to snap off a 7, right? do we think villain might value bet a worse hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

If villain is weak he might fold a j9 or q9 but I doubt it.

The question of river check or bet comes down to how often he calls with worse compared to how often he bluffs. If you think he will bluff more often than he'll call with A8 for instance than checking is better. Switch it around where he will never bluff but always call with A8 than betting is the better choice. I don't see many worse hands calling, but I don't think villain is bluffing too often either so the cheaper of the two options is to check as he will often check behind.

ybother
05-04-2007, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If villain is weak he might fold a j9 or q9 but I doubt it.

The question of river check or bet comes down to how often he calls with worse compared to how often he bluffs. If you think he will bluff more often than he'll call with A8 for instance than checking is better. Switch it around where he will never bluff but always call with A8 than betting is the better choice. I don't see many worse hands calling, but I don't think villain is bluffing too often either so the cheaper of the two options is to check as he will often check behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you check river what size bet do you fold to versus call?

Fiksdal
05-04-2007, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
blind war

[/ QUOTE ]

I has a blind...... /images/graemlins/cool.gif

NOOOOOO, UTG BE STEALIN' MY BLIND!

ybother
05-04-2007, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
blind war

[/ QUOTE ]

I has a blind...... /images/graemlins/cool.gif

NOOOOOO, UTG BE STEALIN' MY BLIND!

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah so i was off one spot, but i like to build the intrigue, care to offer to the discussion?

Fiksdal
05-04-2007, 01:34 AM
sure..

I probably fold preflop. The call is ok given pot odds and an OK hand though. I sometimes call when I feel like it. Notice that UTGs stack is a bit short, so that makes it marginal.

Personally I check/evaluate on the flop. UTG miniraised preflop, so it's hard to tell what he has. He might have a strong range, he might have a range he just wanted to see a flop with. Depends on the player. I like check/evaluate, but I don't have a problem with the "probe" bet. This is why I usually fold the hand preflop though. It's hard to play it OOP.

Seems like you are trying to control the action with that little bet on the turn? I don't like it so much. You are building a big pot with a marginal hand. I check and am happy if villain checks behind. If villain bets we can decide depending on a couple of factors.

Check river! Villain just floated two streets, and you expect him to:

1. have a holding that is beat by TPBK (slightly possible)
2. Pay you off with that holding??? (very unlikely)

Easy check. Whether or not to call a bet, depends on what kind of villain we are dealing with. If he has a high river aggression factor, or high aggression overall, he might bluff TJ if we check, so maybe check/call could be argued for. Probably check/fold though. But if villain is agressive, checking might induce a bluff, so in that case maybe call.

OK, so you just showed great strength, leading into the UTG raiser and then betting two more streets. Villain has now raised you on the river, and you have top pair without much of a kicker. What was the question again?

ybother
05-04-2007, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
sure..

I probably fold preflop. The call is ok given pot odds and an OK hand though. I sometimes call when I feel like it. Notice that UTGs stack is a bit short, so that makes it marginal.

Personally I check/evaluate on the flop. UTG miniraised preflop, so it's hard to tell what he has. He might have a strong range, he might have a range he just wanted to see a flop with. Depends on the player. I like check/evaluate, but I don't have a problem with the "probe" bet. This is why I usually fold the hand preflop though. It's hard to play it OOP.

Seems like you are trying to control the action with that little bet on the turn? I don't like it so much. You are building a big pot with a marginal hand. I check and am happy if villain checks behind. If villain bets we can decide depending on a couple of factors.

Check river! Villain just floated two streets, and you expect him to:

1. have a holding that is beat by TPBK (slightly possible)
2. Pay you off with that holding??? (very unlikely)

Easy check. Whether or not to call a bet, depends on what kind of villain we are dealing with. If he has a high river aggression factor, or high aggression overall, he might bluff TJ if we check, so maybe check/call could be argued for. Probably check/fold though. But if villain is agressive, checking might induce a bluff, so in that case maybe call.

OK, so you just showed great strength, leading into the UTG raiser and then betting two more streets. Villain has now raised you on the river, and you have top pair without much of a kicker. What was the question again?

[/ QUOTE ]

if you check river what size bet do you fold to versus call?

Fiksdal
05-04-2007, 10:55 AM
It's not so much about the size of the bet, because smaller bets give us better pot odds but are less likely to be bluffs.

It's more about the player really. If I am gonna call a bet here, villain has to be the kind of player who is capable of making a bluff in the spot.

Still.. if villain gives us very good odds by betting like $8-10, then I guess we have to squeeze out a call.