PDA

View Full Version : 5NL - High Flush, Paired Board, C/C River?

Hoffma
05-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.02/$0.05 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh))

<font color="black">Hero (SB): $10.15</font>
BB: $12.86
UTG: $5.17
MP: $9.09
CO: $2.59
BTN: $16.03

<font color="black">Reads: </font><font color="blue">UTG is new to the table, no reads. BB is WIDE OPEN, 86/4/1.0 over nearly 100 hands. He likes calling my PFRs and/or C-Bets in position with air. Seems willing to pay to see the turn with any two cards, willing to pay to see the river with any one pair, and has won a few hands like 72o&gt;88 against me because of this.</font>

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt A/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif (6 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">MP raises to $0.15</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.13, BB calls $0.10

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($0.45) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif (3 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BB bets $0.05</font>, <font color="red">MP raises to $0.25</font>, Hero calls $0.25, BB calls $0.20

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($1.20) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif (3 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BB bets $0.50</font>, MP calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50

<font color="black">River:</font> ($2.70) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif (3 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BB bets $1.10</font>, MP calls $1.10, Hero...?

Preflop, I wasn't going to 3bet AQs in the SB. Flop &amp; Turn, I c/c to draw out. I hit a monster when the board pairs, and I became a deer in headlights. I had trouble deciding if I should lead 1/2 - 2/3 pot, shove, c/c, or c/r. BB is passive and showing aggression, so my instinct is c/c.

mr_suspekt
05-03-2007, 11:06 PM
I think you played this hand well as long as you c/r the river.

I would probably have tried to get a lot more money in on the flop, either by betting &gt;2/3 of the pot or by c/r, this is because you are in such a good shape with nut flush/straight draw plus two overs. I wouldn't mind stacking either one of your two opponents (preferably both!) on the flop since you are only a small underdog to a flopped set plus you might get called or raised by a dominated drawing hand. With this line I would definiately have bet out at least 2/3 of the pot on the turn (at this point i would have to fold to an AI raise from BB though, unless i thought he would most likely make that play with a draw) but with your line the c/c on the turn is probably the best option.

When BB only bets less than half the pot on the turn and MP calls I might try to steel the pot (maybe not in this case considering how you described BB) since no one is likely to have a strong hand because they don't seem bothered with giving a drawing hand the right odds (including implied odds)to make a call. If i'd c/r them here and BB makes a big reraise I will probably give him credit for Q9 and reasoning that he only bet that little to induce a bluff or getting some value from a one-pair hand that wouldn't call a bigger bet at this point.

As played i think you might have made the right move by checking the river in first position. But I definiately think that you need to c/r since you are not making yourself committed if you raise and BB goes all in. This is of course a bit player-dependent because you don't want to fold to a lower flush that shoves the river but considering the fact that you described BB as passive makes me less concerned that he would go all in with a worse hand than yours. I think that you will get the most value in the long run from raising the river rather than calling since there are only two hands that BB can have that beat you: T8 or 88 (unless he is a really really weak and passive player that would just call with a flopped set or two pairs on such a drawy board!) and you will extract some more value from a lot of hands: all the lower flushs, Q9, Tx, any fancy-played overpair and you might even get a few calls by AJ and KJ. So raise it up to about $3 and if BB pushes you need to make a decision if he could be doing this with a lower flush (If you ask me I wouldn’t put BB on a full house since he only bet less than half the pot on the river and there are a number of hands that would pay him off if he’d bet twice as much, but what the hell he is a fish anyway so who knows?).

Archon_Wing
05-03-2007, 11:19 PM
Fold river.

j/k /images/graemlins/wink.gif

As you are OOP and not the pf aggressor in a multiway pot, I think c/c flop is good.
Turn is good. You have almost have enough immediate odds as well as implied odds.

Make it about 5 or 6 on the river.

Hoffma
05-04-2007, 02:58 AM
Thanks for the responses guys, I am reassured. I shoved and bumped into a full house. BB had JJ, for crying out loud. Serious case of FPS here, this guy was so erratic I could not establish a read. I like the idea of raising it to $3-5ish, but shoving this has resulted (I know, I used the r-word) in my biggest single-hand loss yet. Could've played it better, but thanks again for letting me know I didn't play this like a complete goof.

renotime
05-04-2007, 04:32 AM
with that combo draw i would have looked to get all my money in on the flop

corsakh
05-04-2007, 04:50 AM
You need to bet draws aggressively when you are deep. Even more so when you have a combo.

Hoffma
05-04-2007, 05:19 AM
True. On the flop I did realize that I was check-calling a huge draw (MISTAKE), but I think this villain's erratic play was starting to cause me to make mistakes in an attempt to play more fancy than he was (sigh). I like shoving over a decent pot here but neither of these things sound like a good idea to me:

open shoving 200BB at a 9BB pot
or
as played, 3bet check-shoving 200BB into a 15BB pot

Are these both really fantastic ideas? Risking an entire buy-in over a pot that's 5-10% the size of a buy-in?

Mibbbbbbb....
05-04-2007, 05:50 AM
I like just calling this flop, as they are giving you great odds to draw. You should take advantage of their cheap price. Pot really isn't that big, I don't think taking it down there is so important. If you would have 3-bet preflop, it would be a different story.

River is easy raise/push.

Larude
05-04-2007, 06:01 AM
You know what the problem is at those low stakes? People almost never get al their money in without a set. The BB obvious is a moron, because he doesn't three bet the flop and opens with a minbet (slowplaying to death), make a note of that. I would just call the river the BB seems confident about his hand. I think everything except a house lays down here if you shove, most players are weak-semi-loose/tight at this level. On the flop i would have raised to 0.90 (really the pot is sooo small), if he then reraises strongly you can get out a lot of the time. If both players (or 1) call, then check the turn, and see of you get the odds to call. If the pot had been bigger on the flop, I would have moved all-in.