PDA

View Full Version : To Nit or not to Nit...

Ontario_Tory
05-03-2007, 08:33 AM
Reading through a bunch of posts here for the past little while, I find that a huge number of posts involve advice of "you should have folded PF". If somebody doesn't have JJ or better, and they are in late position, somebody always says "Fold PF".

On the other hand, I see a large number of posts complaining about the number of nits that play these stakes.

So I guess my questions are:

1) What is a good definition of a nit?
2) Do these two types of posts contradict each other? If not - why not?
3) Is there really something wrong with being a nit? If so - please explain.

By way of context, I'm trying to make the switch from tourneys to cash. Looking at my stats, I'm finding that I probably fit the definition of a nit. I want to know if it's really a problem, or just a 'social perception' problem... I'm only breaking even (Up 10 buyins over 10k hands at NL10, Down 1 buyin over 5k hands at NL25), but I believe my main leaks involve not getting away from a few hands that cost me a crap-load each session... Being a nit, however, seems profitable...

Dastone
05-03-2007, 09:37 AM
The thing is, often when I see someone tell someone to fold pf it is because the person has put themselves into a bad spot post flop because of their pf action. I don't think that people are suggesting to these players that they never play these hands, but that until they are able to play them profitably post flop folding is likely the best solution.

Sometimes I actually wish I could be a nit or at least have that reputation. So many times I see pots checked down where if a nit just breathed on the pot he could have won it. The problem is, that nits get their reputation because they don't bluff in those spots.

Another problem I see with a nit is that they don't play enough hands for them to be able to represent anything other than what they have. A nit just can't decide on one hand that they are going to rep the nut straight on a 2895J board because a nit would not played have played his hand in the manner in which he did to get to that point.

So what a nit can do is every once in a while rep an overpair on a 985 flop when all has is missed overs, and take advantage of his nit image in order to increase his win rate that way. And if the nit gets caught well, than he will no longer be viewed as a nit, and must adjust accordingly from then on.

Basically there is nothing wrong with being a nit at micro's because people still will make enough mistakes, but if a nit is aware of his self, and the type of action, and reactions they are getting from the rest of the players at table, and is willing to make some adjustments, than being a nit can be profitable, and is by no means "wrong".

Also, perhaps my repping the nut straight was a poor example, but I'm going to leave it anyway. A better one would be, if on a 962 board a nit check raises the flop, or c/c, and check raises the turn. It is hard for anyone to believe that the nit would have a draw, and not a monster because of the reputation that nits have. Most likely resulting in less action unless the opponnent could beat the nits hand or was oblivious.

Dunkman
05-03-2007, 10:47 AM
When I think people need to fold more PF it's from the blinds. I mean obviously I don't recommend playing A2o from the button for the raise all the time, but where people kill themselves is playing weak hands oop.

Dastone
05-03-2007, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When I think people need to fold more PF it's from the blinds. I mean obviously I don't recommend playing A2o from the button for the raise all the time, but where people kill themselves is playing weak hands oop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, thanks for pointing that out. These are most often the examples I see when people are telling someone to fold pf.

Skleice
05-03-2007, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
where people kill themselves is playing weak hands oop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is soooo overlooked by noobs. Avoid putting yourself in marginal situations with weak holdings.

As far as the nit thing...Being a nit is profitable because you cannot lose what you don't put in the pot. It just might take you longer to wait for cards and build a stack, where as a agg player can build a stack pretty quickly (as long as he doesn't donk it off!).

I'm a converted nit. I used to play real tight and always made $$$, but slowly. About 6 months ago I started opening up my game and I got slammed for a while...but all is well now. After reading these forums/books and playing a lot, I feel very comfortable being agg. I try to...

1)play in position
2)isolate weak players
3)pick on the nits (except when they play back at me)
4)avoid big confrontations with marginal hands (steal small pots)
5)get max value on my legit hands becaue I've been agg
6)have fun (agg>nit)