PDA

View Full Version : the Bush-Lewis fallacy?

luckyme
02-17-2006, 03:37 PM
It’s a toss up, George Bush - CSLewis;
George Bush - CSLewis .. flip.
George B’s fallacy - "You’re either for me or against me" hmmmm, or
CS’s more complex version-

" "I am ready to accept Jesus as the great moral teacher, but I don't accept His claim to be God." That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic--on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg--or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. " ( but can't I use all the options, shucks)

If people such as the Emperor of Japan or the Dahli Lama are told from early age by those in authority that they are the "X", and are treated as such from then on, there is no reason to think they are insane to believe it themselves, and they would not be lying or insane or immoral to do so ( a bit too foolish for my liking, but so what).

I’m not going to look up the biblical references but along these lines -- if Jesus’s birth was foretold and some Magi showed up to acknowledge it, etc. If he then went through his life believing it was true, that doesn’t make him insane or immoral or even any more gullible than somebody who believes it 2000 years later with no direct evidence. My neighbor believes JC was god on much less persuasive proof than JC had, if we grant some credence to the events surrounding his birth. Iow, if the gospel is gospel, how could jesus believe otherwise?

CS presents it as if jesus just pulled it out of his xss, like the guy on the street corner near the Art Gallery. The lack of respect I feel for people of little intellectual honesty ( those who know better, not those from Bush’s level of intelligence) … grrr.

People refer to Lewis so often I worry that I'm overlooking something ...???

luckyme