PDA

View Full Version : raising with AJo

stingray2222
05-02-2007, 12:14 PM
does raising with this hand pre flop show a long term profit?

emerson
05-02-2007, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
does raising with this hand pre flop show a long term profit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this limt holdem? And are you talking about aways raising, from any position?

stingray2222
05-02-2007, 01:04 PM
sorry. no limit holdem. from any posistion.

GittyUP
05-02-2007, 01:48 PM
yes and no. Raising AJo in the right situation (late position with certain players in the blinds is very profitable)

I raise way worse hands then this profitably also. The key is to know when to raise/ reraise rather then specifically what hands to raise with. Poker is not a formula...well at least no limit isn't.

sweeng8
05-02-2007, 06:39 PM
I find the trouble in raising with AJ is that if an A drops, you may get into a lot of trouble against AK or AQ. Its unlikely you will make money off anyone who has anything less so you are likely to win a small pot or lose a bigger pot. In position you should be raising with AJ but you are betting the position more (or at least as much) as the cards. In a full ring game in early position on a decent table I usually throw them away... dont like them much at all

chicken10der
05-02-2007, 07:11 PM
raising it sometimes > always folding it no matter what > always raising it no matter what

There is no blanket way to play a hand like AJo. As with all hands, you need to play your opponents, positions, and situations. For example, I'm likely to fold AJo UTG, but I'm likely to 3-bet it from the SB vs a standard button open-PSB-raise.

curious123
05-02-2007, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sorry. no limit holdem. from any posistion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, just don't suck.

Josem
05-03-2007, 01:54 AM
only if you play FHAG

KipBond
05-03-2007, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
only if you play FHAG

[/ QUOTE ]

PantsOnFire
05-03-2007, 11:46 AM
AJo is one of my advertising hands. If I need to loosen my image, I will raise this hand UTG if I need to. I will reraise a loose player with this hand in late position to shut out the blinds.

On the other hand, if I have been active, I will more likely lay this hand down.

When I do raise this hand, I will most often lay it down to a reraise. Actually, that's one of the great features of this hand. If you open raise with it, from early to middle position, it is very easy to throw it away to a reraise. And that's good advertising because when you do get a premium hand and make the same early raise, a reraise behind will be more likely so you can come over the top and perhaps it might even look like you are doing this on tilt because you folded last time.

Phytopath
05-03-2007, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
raising it sometimes > always folding it no matter what > always raising it no matter what

There is no blanket way to play a hand like AJo. As with all hands, you need to play your opponents, positions, and situations. For example, I'm likely to fold AJo UTG, but I'm likely to 3-bet it from the SB vs a standard button open-PSB-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto