PDA

View Full Version : Interesting spot against decent TAG

jumbojacks
05-01-2007, 06:36 AM
Villain is agstremist? He seems like a semi-decent TAG who plays fairly straightforward. I'm not sure if he's tricky or he sucks, but he doesn't seem to ever make thin call downs (which is why I opted to take a passive line). He did call two bets against me w/ set of 4s on 4h5cTc2h2s board. I don't happen to have the hand, but if he did put me on an overpair, I'm surprised why he didn't put in any raise. He might view as LAG since I've been hitting cards and I've 3bet him a few times and squeezed with a few hands in between getting good cards. I suspect he has a tight 3bet calling range here, especially OOP.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) internettexasholdem.com (http://www.internettexasholdem.com)

UTG ($269.65)
Hero ($93.65)
Button ($22.60)
SB ($21.55)
BB ($32.10)

Preflop: Hero is MP with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls $5.

Flop: ($14.75) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($14.75) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $10</font>, Hero calls $10.

River: ($34.75) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $25</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $59.75

I should probably call this, but the situation just felt weird with his OOP call. I really wanted to see a showdown as cheap as possible and he typically will let me with both worse/better hands. If he's going for value he'll bet about 1/2 to 2/3rd which is cheap enough for me.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think he's bad enough to think vbetting TT here is good (on the turn, not sure about the river).

Edit: I did play with a hand with him afterwards where he did play back at me but at the wrong moment (3bet me w/ A3o and checked behind an A high flop, I potted the river after flop/turn got checked through when I hit my set on the turn and he paid me off). In that situation, I still assumed he had a relatively tight 3bet range and should assume that I'll have an equally tight 3bet calling range. My river bet in that spot is pure value and I'm never potting there against him as a bluff, so in reality, he probably doesn't even really think of ranges all too deeply.

Triple Optics
05-01-2007, 06:42 AM
I'd bet the flop, and fold if he re-raises.

If he calls my flop bet I'll check behind on the turn to keep the pot small, and again on the river, possibly calling a smaller bet if he makes one.

However I usually expect him to either fold or raise on the flop.

jumbojacks
05-01-2007, 06:47 AM
I considered betting the flop, but I think there might be some chance he'll fire the turn w/ TT/AQ/AK type of hands for me to get value out of. If his range here is still as tight as I assume, I think I'm just going to be in $$ behind. I think the flop is favorable, but it's not that great.

Though breaking down his range, considering two separate areas of 77/88/TT/AK/(maybe)AQ and 99/QQ-AA and the rare JJ, does it really make a difference between the typical bet/check/call line vs. check/call/(call/fold) against this particular villain? The only hole that I see in this is how he would play the range that I'm ahead of, whether he's aggressive enough to "vbet" them or also willing to call them down lightly (which I doubt he will do).