PDA

View Full Version : 3-betting preflop

Kimpan
05-01-2007, 05:20 AM
Ok, first of all, what is 3-betting? coming from Limit I am used to 3-betting meaning bet,raise,3-bet,cap.
I've come to the understanding that's not the case in NL?

I feel that I'm not reraising (3-betting?) preflop enough. What is your thinking when deciding wether to 3-bet or not?
I guess you prefer an opponent who is aggressive in these situations?

PietM
05-01-2007, 05:24 AM
Reraising is 3-betting. There is no cap in NL, that's the only difference I think /images/graemlins/smile.gif

It depends on the raising opponent. If he raises a lot, you can 3bet more. Especially if you think he's on a steal and you have a decent (pocketpair or broadway cards) hand in the blinds.

Kimpan
05-01-2007, 05:31 AM
Ok, why is it called 3-betting? Is it because you raise 3 times the initial raise?

I've seen people reraise a potential steal coming from CO with hands such as 97s in the blinds. Is this ok?

Also, let's say I'm OTB, aggressive opponent openraises UTG, what is your thinking to a 3-bet here? you add some hands to the hands you would reraise from the SB with?

corsakh
05-01-2007, 05:35 AM
It goes bet - raise - reraise, hence 3bet.

Yes its ok if the person knows what he is doing.

It depends and yes.

PietM
05-01-2007, 05:38 AM
The blinds are 'betting', the raiser is 'raising' and the reraiser is '3betting'. Kinda confusing, had some problems with the words myself /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I wouldn't 3bet with 97s. I'm not that big of a blind-defender. What are you gonna do when the original raiser calls? Your out of position with (in the most cases) a drawing hand at best.

OTB you could open up more to an aggressive opponent. 97s could be in your range, if you have a good read of your opponent and are confident you can outplay him postflop.

HANABI
05-01-2007, 05:39 AM
I think "3 betting" might be poker slang for "reraising" in no limit.

corsakh
05-01-2007, 05:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't 3bet with 97s. I'm not that big of a blind-defender. What are you gonna do when the original raiser calls? Your out of position with (in the most cases) a drawing hand at best.

[/ QUOTE ]

You cbet and take the pot down.. what else your supposed to do? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bramsterdam
05-01-2007, 05:41 AM
Pre-flop: Blinds 'bet', UTG raise, BTN reraise (= 3bet)
Post-flop: UTG bet, BTN raise, UTG reraise (=3bet)

Right?

PietM
05-01-2007, 05:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pre-flop: Blinds 'bet', UTG raise, BTN reraise (= 3bet)
Post-flop: UTG bet, BTN raise, UTG reraise (=3bet)

Right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I don't like to play very big pots (which 3bet pots have a tendency to be) oop with a weak hand... That's why I let 97s go after any kind of raise when I'm in the blinds.

mrw8419
05-01-2007, 06:30 AM
You should be 3 betting with a wider range as it makes you tougher to play against. I am not advocating that you should constantly 3 bet suited connectors, but squeezing will make you money in the long run. People will be less apt to steal your blinds, and most villains play very bad in reraised pots.

paulw
05-02-2007, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You should be 3 betting with a wider range as it makes you tougher to play against.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something I am working on, especially against 50/25 complete donkies. What I am finding is having position on them is really important but I struggle a bit when I have them on my left. E.g. $25NL 100BB stacks, Donkey opens for a 4x BB raise, I 3-bet AKo from the blinds, he calls. I miss flop and c-bet, he calls. I have no idea where I stand. Are people giving up on a blank turn, or 2 barrelling? I tend to check/fold, but I think even these idiots tend to notice, this and it can get a bit expensive. Am I being to nitty?

Edit: Also, when you say 3-bet a wider range, what sort of range works best (not necessarily against opponent in example above, but more generally)? I'm thinking 3-betting hands like KJ is pretty spewy, whats a good range to think about?

urubu111
05-02-2007, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You should be 3 betting with a wider range as it makes you tougher to play against. I am not advocating that you should constantly 3 bet suited connectors, but squeezing will make you money in the long run. People will be less apt to steal your blinds, and most villains play very bad in reraised pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totaly agree with this post and that why I 3bet very light and 4bet/shove a lot with total air.

ps: PAULW, I think people are floating a lot in 3bet pots so I think you should fire a second barrel against a lot of villains.