PDA

View Full Version : Getting away from this overbet

jacbmw
05-01-2007, 01:11 AM
Villian was running at 19/5, and passive post flop.

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh/))

SB: $24.95
<font color="black">Hero (BB): $30.50</font>
UTG: $188.15

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt J/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (3 Players)
2 folds, <font color="red">SB raises to $0.75</font>, Hero calls $0.50
Uncalled bet of $0.25 returned to SB

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($1.35) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $1.25</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $3</font>, SB calls $1.75

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($7.35) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $2</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to $4</font>, Hero calls $2

<font color="black">River:</font> ($15.35) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets all-in for $17.20</font>, Hero folds

Pot Size: $32.55

I am trying to think about this hand logically in retrospect, and anaylse his range for this river push.

It was a strange line by him, which sort of goes against a flopped set, and of course him chasing the back door flush (which hit on the river).

Also i (i didnt have pokertracker so i didnt know his stats) thought at the time he was pretty loose at the table justifing my pre flop call.

Would he have pushed this river, representing boat or flush, with only the flopped straight (assuming he is holding AK). Do others put him on AK?

Thanks, Jake

Lurker.
05-01-2007, 01:38 AM
in micro stakes nl, i've noticed that overbets are for value 99% of the time. Maybe someone with more hands played at these limits can re enforce this or prove it untrue?

ahnuld
05-01-2007, 01:41 AM
flop sucks. If you want to raise, raise more. Check turn once he calls.

orange
05-01-2007, 01:52 AM
i would call the flop alot. turn bet sizing isnt good.

corsakh
05-01-2007, 04:28 AM
Logically you say.. Whats your preflop and flop logic here?

jacbmw
05-01-2007, 04:34 AM
i agree with the turn check, which i would def do in retrospect. But why with the increased raise size if you would raise on the flop ahnuld? I would have thought this would build pot to quick with the straight draw i have (which was the main reason why i played the flop so hard and this is my logic behind raising the flop).

In regards with the turn bet sizing, yes point taken.

corsakh
05-01-2007, 04:46 AM
There are 3 main reasons to reraise in poker:

1) Fold out better hands - what better hands fold this flop to this sort of raise?

2) Build up a pot when you have a monster - what monster do you have here?

3) To decieve and confuse your opponent. For example, raising in position on a draw, representing a strong hand in order to get a free card on the turn, avoid a check raise and get paid if you hit on the river. Usually you need to be deep and against a thinking opponent that is not going to donkbet the turn with TP again.

Raising this litle your dont really confuse anyone. Your on a draw and thats what your raise says - I am on a draw. Nobody folds to this and your dont milk noone either. So its not a good raise.

jacbmw
05-01-2007, 09:49 PM
well said corsakh...you have made it alot clearer in my mind. If i had raised a little larger (if i had chosen this line), i would have posibily folded out better hands on the flop, and also more likely to get a free card on the turn. So i basically would have been combining two reasons for the raise, thus creating confusion for the opponent.

I like...