PDA

View Full Version : NL25 Top Set beyond the Flop

naphand
04-28-2007, 09:03 AM
Again the question is how to extract the max from my (non-stupid) opponent.

TABLE: At the Table for 50+ hands. CO so far has been very tight and solid (V$IP 12% PFR 06%, other stats too early to tell), BB & MP are fairly typical players for the game (i.e. reasonable hand selection, but call too easily).

No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) by Hand Converter CG (http://www.softforpoker.com/handconverter/)

Button ($24.05)
<font color="#C00000">SB ($23.55)</font>
BB ($33.60)
UTG ($34.60)
MP ($25)
<font color="#C00000">Naphand ($34.85)</font>

Preflop: Naphand is CO with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $1</font>, Naphand calls $1, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $2.25</font>, BB calls $2, MP calls $1.25, Naphand calls $1.25.

Flop: ($9) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.75</font>, BB calls $0.75, MP calls $0.75, <font color="#CC3333">Naphand raises to $2</font>, SB calls $1.25, BB folds, MP calls $1.25.

Turn: ($15.75) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $2</font>, MP folds, Naphand /images/graemlins/confused.gif

The PF re-raise from SB means one of very few hands for all but the most aggro of players in this game, pretty much AA-QQ, AKs/AKo (very small chance of JJ-77 or AQ/AJ, given what I know of this player/limit).

The Flop obviously is as good as it gets. My raise clearly should have been greater to hurt any flush draws but I figured that was quite unlikely. The Turn bet is entirely consistent with an overpair IMO.

Any comments on playing the Turn and/or bet-sizing etc.?

(PF not so important but if anyone thinks this is awful, say so) /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sweir
04-28-2007, 09:27 AM
Definately 3bet MPs open with JJ in the CO.

This flop is very likely to have hit peoples calling range pf, especially when you say BB/MP call too easily. Considering that it is 4-way you need to make people pay to out-draw you. I would raise it up to ~$9, maybe more.

On the turn again SB could well be drawing and trying to set the price by betting small. If he has an overpair then he he will probably get AI here pretty easily. I would raise the turn so that if he misses his draw we still get another bet out of him. I might just put him AI now because he has about a psb left, not sure though.

tehDiceman
04-28-2007, 09:45 AM
i dont think three betting preflop is going to push anyone off the hand, perhaps it would give a little more isolation though. i raise bigger on the flop, to around 7 probably.

poster above me says make it 9 on the flop, that might be better than my 7 since it does price out more villians.

BlueBear
04-28-2007, 10:11 AM
Definitely raise more on the flop, this is a good flop for you.

Sweir
04-28-2007, 10:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i dont think three betting preflop is going to push anyone off the hand, perhaps it would give a little more isolation though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?? By 3betting I mean rr'ing MPs raise, OK??

C4LL4W4Y
04-28-2007, 10:14 AM
3b preflop, rr to $8-$10 on the flop.

tehDiceman
04-28-2007, 10:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i dont think three betting preflop is going to push anyone off the hand, perhaps it would give a little more isolation though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?? By 3betting I mean rr'ing MPs raise, OK??

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, i wasnt disagreeing with you, i hadnt seen your post when i posted mine so i thought mine would be first. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

the more i look at this, i like reraising the raise.

bozzer
04-28-2007, 10:35 AM
I'd normally 3bet with JJ.

I agree with your analysis of SB's range. Your flop raise size is a difficult decision. You must raise, because the flop is moderately wet, and because 0.75 is not enough $$. I think you have to make a decision here whether to try and keep the pot multiway with a small raise and try and get more money that way, or play HU with the SB and try and stack him.

It looks like you tried to keep the other players in the pot with your small raise. On balance I think I prefer making a decent raise, at least to 7.

this makes things much easier later in the hand. if he has AK and folds, well we weren't going to make that much anyway.

as played the turn bet looks like a blocker with an over pair. I'm definately putting it to $10-13 here, giving you a chance to stack him on the river. If he can fold AA on this board with this action he's a lot tighter than most 25nl players.

goat_beard
04-28-2007, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Turn bet is entirely consistent with an overpair IMO

[/ QUOTE ]
ummm how do u derive this? He cold calls a raise from you on flop then leads for 1/7 of pot on turn. I dont really see an overpair here, I see a scared bet. What do we do to scared bets, we raise them! He has invested ~6.50$ into this pot, the pot is ~15, take it to 9$ which will leave him ~10 for a nice shove on river.

Waingro
04-28-2007, 11:04 AM
I like pf, assuming your stats for CO is actually for MP. His MP opening range is probably insanely tight.

The flop is absolutely horrible, there is a fd and reasonable sds out there and you are giving fantastic odds. Also, if sb has an overpair, do you think he will still stack off if a club hits? On this kind of flop, it is absolutely necessary to try to get as much money in on the flop as possible. And it is 4-way, if someone isnŽt drawing very live vs you IŽll eat my socks.

ocdscale
04-28-2007, 12:01 PM
Raise.
That $1.25 raise in a $11 pot is disgusting, you're letting them play correctly by drawing to flushes/straights to stack you.
Raise to $9 on the flop.
Then raise to ~2/3rd pot (or shove if pot is big enough) on turn.

As played, raise to ~12 on Turn.

Rafpig
04-28-2007, 12:22 PM
Your play on the flop was absolutely horrible. Raise to $7 , minimum.