PDA

View Full Version : new diceman vid, hot off the press. 5NL 6max

tehDiceman
04-27-2007, 02:01 PM
enjoy. there is a J5o hand near the end that i played bad, although i wasnt far out of line and recognized it right after i clicked bet.

http://indystars.org/public/poker/tehDiceman-april27th.avi

C4LL4W4Y
04-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Im bored at work so i'll dl and watch it if that codec bs doesn't happen again.

.xxxx.
04-27-2007, 02:27 PM
dl'ing now, I just pm'd you my aim to run some initial thoughts before posting

tehDiceman
04-27-2007, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im bored at work so i'll dl and watch it if that codec bs doesn't happen again.

[/ QUOTE ]

standard divx codec for video, mp3 for audio.

yellowbluebus
04-27-2007, 03:40 PM
I am half way through the video. I hope others can provide more useful input. Just a couple of quick things that jumped at me -- 44 UTG is a raise for me and also overlimping A3s in the CO at these stakes (this may be debatable).

C4LL4W4Y
04-27-2007, 03:47 PM
yah i just used VLC media player. i got to 41:00 or so and I've gotta leave work, but here are my comments:

K7s hand - check/fold in a 4 way pot is fine

a9 co - i probably raise for value from the CO if you're getting called by a wide range

44 limp utg - at these stakes raising for deception isn't really an issue. i think it's more about building a pot, and the fact that the blind levels are so small will entice players to call a raise up to say, .08 more often than
at higher levels. for this reason i think you should consistently raise pp's utg.

77 - checking turn induces villain to make a river bluff.

1010 cbet A hi flop - don't hate it. checking is fine too because your cbet is going to get called/raised by draws.

AQ in BB w/ UTG limp and button limp- for the love of god raise this, you're ahead of their range

910s from CO - why not raise? 72vpip boy in the bb, yeah, but he'll pay you off

a4s from CO - same thing up there

AJ complete from sb - you're getting ridiculous odds to call.

1010 utg, watch betting extra amounts with certain hands OOP...as you move up this will be exploitable

was that iron maiden in the background at around 35:00 in the video? nice

mentally draining - yeah, these games are pretty loose passive also w/ some real tightwads in there. if i was you i'd save up some side income and throw it toward shots at 10 and 25NL. i feel like you'll gain much more valuable
experience at one of those levels, especially in playing
more streets.

AQs into 457 2h flop, watch your cbets here...

Seems like you have a decent foundation, don't be afraid to raise for value when in position though.

.xxxx.
04-27-2007, 03:50 PM
initial thoughts: more AGG, assign more villain ranges in your commentary, think about stack sizes for every decision, position is much more important this deep

do not open cbet at A high flops with pp's vs more than one opponents

@9:42 lot of implied odds with Axs that deep, you're not getting pressured from your opponents enough to get forced out of draws at this level

barryc83
04-27-2007, 04:00 PM
why can i dl this and only get the sound w/o picture???

yellowbluebus
04-27-2007, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why can i dl this and only get the sound w/o picture???

[/ QUOTE ]

You are most likely missing a codec (divx). VLC should play it by default.

tehDiceman
04-27-2007, 04:46 PM
good comments all, i will put out a big reply that touches on each one after reviewing the video later tonight.

Ramana
04-27-2007, 05:01 PM
Since you hardly played postflop, my observations concern your PF-play. I think you should be raising pf a lot more hands, enter more pots. You should move up asap, this level is gonna drive you nuts, you'll never build a bankroll there even for NL10, and you're def good enough to beat NL10.

1:05 I bet the turn w K7, at least bet the river for value
4:15 A9 in CO i raise
11:22 Openlimp 44 UTG is not good.
16:00 check flop w TT, cbet vs 2 callers OOP is spew
19:40 I usually bet pot w AQ on the turn
24:00 raise T9s in CO
26:40 OMG complete w AJo in SB plz
29:00 If you don't wanna raise T9s, at least limp behind, you have a beautiful hand with position!
47:00 ATo i raise. The table is supertight (which is a bit shocking to see at this level) i'd exploit it more.
48:50 I never raise w J5 there. Board is K88J, you don't beat anything, you have no kicker, so I'd just fold. Your blind play seems a little inconsistent, timing is a little off. Sometimes you miss obvious value, sometimes you spew.

barryc83
04-27-2007, 05:12 PM
ok I watched the entire thing but I could not use sound bc Im at work.

(1 min) k7s - Value bet the river, you could even bet the turn but I dont mind the turn check in EP. If you were on the btn there and it checked around on the turn, bet it for sure.

(4.5 min) A9o - Raise in CO when folded to.

(11.5 min) 44 - Raise UTG.

(??? min) TT - Flop is Axx. Cbet is not terrible, but you must remember people at 5nl are playing Ax religiously so i think c/f is better.

(19.5 min) AQo - Raise that [censored] in the BB.

(24.5 min) 9Ts - Raise that in CO. I know there was a shorty in the SB but he hadnt been very active.

(23 min) AJo - Complete in the SB, raise is good sometimes too.

(44 min) Q4 - Flop is KQx and checks through. Turn is a blank and it checks to button who bets .02 into a .09 pot. I call the min bet and look to get to showdown as he could easily be stealing.

(48 min) ATo - I raise this UTG+1.

(49.5 min) J5 - Dont raise there just fold. If anything call, bc raising for value is too thin and bluffing is horrible. People slowplay an 8 here all day and your kicker is crap.

In general, decent vid, nothing too interesting however. You need to raise more hands from the CO/BTN though. I understand you were playing cautiously bc you had shortstacks to your left. I a) try to find tables with very if any shortys and b) if one is at the table dont sit directly to his right.

EDIT: I basically said the exact same things as the psoter above me. I also agree with him in that you shouldnt play 5nl. I dont know your financial situation, but $250 is enough for a healthy BR @ 10nl and that amount of money is nothing in this day and age.

tehDiceman
04-27-2007, 09:20 PM
i am still playing 5NL because i am stubborn.

so, in the next session, i should be limping behind with suited aces(should i be folding these as opposed to open limping and raising them from BTN or CO?), raising all pocket pairs regardless of position, limping behind or raising with any A+broadway when OOP depending on number of villians in the pot and relative stack sizes, call minbets with second pair, raise more button and cutoff hands like Ax, Kx and high suited connectors, dont cbet into multiple villians unimproved and out of position or when i have possible second or third pair with an ace on the board, and rock more iron maiden and judas priest in the videos.

did i miss anything?

i have also had suggestions to play half stacked as opposed to deep to restrict the amount of money that can be sucked out but i feel that this is bad because i will get pot committed much easier with second best hands and i will be losing value to all fish that want to play with stacks when i have position and the best hand. i do look for tables with as few shorties as possible but lately it seems like all of the tables have at least one of them so it cannot be avoided all the time.

creamfillin
04-27-2007, 09:52 PM
Dude you seriously need to loosen up. That AJ fold from the sb was horrible. You should be at least limping with 9Ts or raising. Stop thinking in terms of whether something is 'proper' or not, I can see that it really impedes your thought processes. And get rid of all the stats, you don't need them. You're deep enough that you should be looking for opportunities to get in with SC's and suited aces, whether it be limping or raising I don't think it makes much of a difference. As far as I see, you aren't giving yourself a chance to make big hands to get paid off. These players suck, (i'm sure you know) they'll pay you off with any piece. Try to see more flops, stop worrying if you'll get yourself into a tough spot because you limped in the small blind or something. You can get away with that stuff at this level.

Mr_Pathetic
04-27-2007, 10:42 PM
I play these stakes quite a bit since everytime I get a significant amount built up I take another life beat. Buy in for 3, 150bb is enough. As others said you are too tight. I play something like 23/18/3 here and have racked up over 35 buy ins in less then 20k hands. People here are very bad. To some of these people middle pair on a draw heavy board is the nuts. Value bet relentlessly unless they push back. You talked about table selection, I have not found one table below .05/.10 that I did not think was profitable but then again I think if I have to select games at this level I might as well just quit. The shortstacks suck but they also stack off quickly, especially the one dollar holla stacks so welcome them with open arms. Its the guys who buy in for five that take bites from you if you are not careful which makes playing straight and flush type hands so profitable.

tehDiceman
04-28-2007, 09:22 AM
my play has come from how i've been shown to play by this forum. i suppose you guys were wrong the first time then eh? i watched iStrong's videos and that is when i got serious about getting better. his videos harp constantly about how it is bad to limp from the SB, either raise or fold. since i nit OOP, i have been letting those go.

once i play again next month, i'll buy in for default BI and play more pots. you guys will see the results cause i'll post em up. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

molotom
04-28-2007, 09:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
my play has come from how i've been shown to play by this forum. i suppose you guys were wrong the first time then eh? i watched iStrong's videos and that is when i got serious about getting better. his videos harp constantly about how it is bad to limp from the SB, either raise or fold. since i nit OOP, i have been letting those go.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's almost a different game playing 250bb deep against passive tards who will stack off with middle pair. It's important to consider the reasons why something is 'bad' rather than just adhering to a kind of 2+2 dogma.

For example, take open limping. It's considered dodgy because it makes you easier to put on a range, and often gets you raised by observant/aggressive players. However at these stakes it's not uncommon to see tables with <5% average preflop raise, and the range balancing factor is negligible when everyone is just playing their own two cards.

Also, the fact that you are 250bb makes a huge difference. Remember that you are 20:1 to flop two pair or better with any two. If you limp, you only need make 20bb on average when you flop such a hand, which really isn't too hard when some players are willing to stack off for 250bb with a pair of aces. Now I'm not seriously suggesting that you limp with any two, I'm just making that point that speculative hands are far more valuable when playing this deep against players this bad.

In my opinion, trying to apply the standard 2+2 TAG 100bb deep preflop strategy at this level is a leak.

Mr_Pathetic
04-28-2007, 10:11 AM
Look at it like this. Poker is a game of contextual clues. Every decision you make on a particular hand on a particular street must be put into context with every hand you have played out with the opponents, how the previous streets were played on that hand, what they stack off with, what they limp with, what they raise with, how they view you (eg you always bet and never show good hands). So when you go to play a hand, make a bet, etc try and put it all into context. I never knew how many people missed out on context when making decisions till I took a PhD seminar on coastal policy. I was the only masters student there an I had more of a grip on the context of the problems at hand then any of the PhD students. I thank softmodding xbox, learning policy analysis logic, and poker for this.

tehDiceman
04-28-2007, 10:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Look at it like this. Poker is a game of contextual clues. Every decision you make on a particular hand on a particular street must be put into context with every hand you have played out with the opponents, how the previous streets were played on that hand, what they stack off with, what they limp with, what they raise with, how they view you (eg you always bet and never show good hands). So when you go to play a hand, make a bet, etc try and put it all into context. I never knew how many people missed out on context when making decisions till I took a PhD seminar on coastal policy. I was the only masters student there an I had more of a grip on the context of the problems at hand then any of the PhD students. I thank softmodding xbox, learning policy analysis logic, and poker for this.

[/ QUOTE ]

i love my xbox. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

im rearin to go on poker again but probably shouldnt play at work.

wotttttttttt
04-28-2007, 12:29 PM
You come here too? by the way, you spell your name wrong it's "the" not "teh"

tehDiceman
04-28-2007, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think i come here first. you just registered today.... or perhaps a long time member with a "secret identity".

wotttttttttt
04-28-2007, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think i come here first. you just registered today.... or perhaps a long time member with a "secret identity".

[/ QUOTE ]
nope, just got here today! Good to see you again, batman!

ben wb
04-30-2007, 06:00 PM
Haven't read the other replies but my notes were:

0.52 - I'd bet at least one street with K7s as they will call with worse, by the river it's unlikely anyone has a king so you can bet for value, fold to a raise.

If you don't like slow tables play the fast tables, often they have worst play anyway as fish like the fast tables.

4.18 - I open raise A9o from cutoff, I'm generally open raising A8o+ from the CO and ATo+ from UTG+1, folding is reasonable.

5.43 - JTs - You played this well

9.14 - I'm raising A3s from the cutoff after one limper

Yeah you should definitely be reraising AA and KK always at this level and try to get it all in preflop with these hands if possible.

11.29 - Definitely prefer a raise with 44 in 6 max, in full ring limping's ok but 44 is good enough to raise even UTG in 6 max.

13.40 - If louse hadn't raised or had just limped I'd raise ATo from the button every time, folding to the raise is standard.

14.46 - 77 I bet turn too but more like 2/3 of the pot for value.

16.10 - I like the TT continuation bet and I'm betting for value as plenty of draws are calling, fold to minraise is fine.

19.15 - Raise to 14c every time with AQ from the big blind, not to push anyone off their hand, just for value, you'll get called by worse aces all the time

20.25 - Limping from the sb is not always bad but I'd fold the A4o, I think Istrong was talking about open limping when it's folded to you in the SB, then raising's better than limping in but completeing with a couple of limpers with hands like suited connectors is not bad play.

24.10 - Really hate the T9s fold from the cutoff, this is 6 max, in fact you were 5 handed, you wanted to raise it so go ahead. T9s is a good hand and too good to fold from late position, raise it, I'd also raise 89s, 78s, T8s, J9s, QTs etc, all decent hands from late position, under the gun folding them is ok, late position = raise, I'd raise this even after 2 limpers, often call a raise too if stacks are big.

25.40 Good raise with j9s from the sb - just make sure to do that from late position too

26.14 Yeah A4s in the CO - I raise that too, any suited ace I'm raising, from early position foldings fine

Ducks are pocket twos

26.45 - Completing the SB or raising with AJ is better than folding, they're more likely to limp worse aces than AQ or AK anyway. It's not that bad a hand even out of position in 6 max.

29.31 - I'm raising T9s again, ok one guy is a bit short but he has over 50bb and the blinds both have quite deep stacks, definite raise.

37.00 - That's not that bad a flop for TT, I'd bet a little less as there are no draws and I'm value betting, about 3/4 of the pot is standard for me, the bet pot ahk script is very good for saving time with bet sizes although mine has stopped working.

40.20 - I actutally open raise T7s from the CO sometimes, folding it is fine though.

41.00 - AQ raise from SB is very standard, definitely not a bad play

41.25 - A9o on the button, one limper I raise

43.30 - I call the 2c with second pair

49.00 - I just call with the J5, I'd fold to any reasonable bet.