PDA

View Full Version : 25NL playing marginal hands against LAGs

Supwithbates
04-26-2007, 04:14 PM
CO: 26$
Hero: 25$
Cutoff is a tricky and aggressive player. We don't really think he's all that good, but is quite capable of bluffing, bluffraising, semibluffraising, etc. and using this to get paid off on his legitimate hands. Stats are 40/12/8, and we know he is quite capable of check/raising with air, and does so with a frequency that we consider to be well beyond optimal bluffing strategy.

Hero is button with A/images/graemlins/club.gif5/images/graemlins/club.gif
2 folds, CO calls $.25, Hero raises to $1.25, 2 folds, CO calls $1.
Flop($2.85): 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
CO checks, Hero bets 2.25$, CO raises to $4.5, Hero calls $2.25.
Turn ($11.85): 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif
CO checks, Hero checks.
River ($11.85): 10/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
CO bets $6, Hero calls $6.

I check behind on turn to induce a river bluff, and because he's shoving a wide range over my turn bet including many draws and many overpairs, and folding most weak draws and air that he was bluffing with on the flop.

THis is a hypothetical hand that I think highlights my problems in dealing with loose and aggressive players. Often I feel as if they are goading me into playing for stacks in situations that I normally wouldn't; unfortunately, they are not playing for stacks with marginal hands, they are simply bluffing, semibluffing, and playing monsters in this way.

Basically, in a hand such as this, CO limps and calls, and then sees a rag flop unlikely to hit a hand I raised with preflop. I know he is more than capable of check/minraising a high % of the time with complete air, but with my TPTK meaning a pair of 5s, I will hate most turn cards.
I seriously consider 4betting flop, but all that will do is fold out his pure bluffs but he will shove all overpairs, sets, and strong draws (OESD+pair, flushdraw, etc), leaving us playing for stacks with a very marginal hand.

Turn is standard pot control/inducing a bluff.
River the flush card got there, but if he had air he is going to rep this 100% of the time after our turn check, we induced the bluff and now we have to call.

Folding to the flop minraise seems weak, if we're willing to let TPTK go in position when he's doing this a huge % of the time on this type of flop, it makes us exploitable, and we shouldn't even be cbetting this type of flop.

fees
04-26-2007, 04:16 PM
reraise the flop minraises are so weak

Supwithbates
04-26-2007, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
THis is a hypothetical so i can change details as I wish.
I think you're right, against a minraise this is an easy 4bet. How does this change if he raises flop to 7$

C4LL4W4Y
04-26-2007, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
THis is a hypothetical so i can change details as I wish.
I think you're right, against a minraise this is an easy 4bet. How does this change if he raises flop to 7$

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's likely to do this with air I'm still raising.

Supwithbates
04-26-2007, 04:54 PM
Hero is button with A5
2 folds, CO calls $.25, Hero raises to $1.25, 2 folds, CO calls $1.
Flop($2.85): 2 3 5
CO checks, Hero bets 2.25$, CO raises to $7, Hero raises to $25 and is all-in
So we're going to shove on a pair of 5s and a gutshot on the assumption that he has nothing? The 50% of the time he has a hand we're dominated, and the 50% of the time he doesn't we win a much smaller pot. Seems bad to me

C4LL4W4Y
04-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Oh for some reason I thought it was 50NL. I gotta stop doing that.

Um yeah river looks kinda valueish but if it's likely he will bluff after your turn check, a call is alright.

C4LL4W4Y
04-26-2007, 05:01 PM
Oh as for the difference between minraising and raising to 7, is there anything about this villain that you think would make him more likely to make one of those choices?

Supwithbates
04-26-2007, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh as for the difference between minraising and raising to 7, is there anything about this villain that you think would make him more likely to make one of those choices?

[/ QUOTE ]
When I figure that out I'll be beating 25NL for 12bb/100
I'm not sure I'll ever understand why someone thinks a minraise is a good idea