PDA

View Full Version : NL 50: Squeeze play flops open ender but gets check raised?

pureklas
04-26-2007, 08:02 AM
My image at the table is Tagish I had built my stack up from $50 (we are playing on absolute so players can buy in for $100) and I have shown down AA once to one of my $3 raises; aside from that opponents have been mostly folding to my cbets. I have no reads on my opponents as I have not played with them before.

6 handed NL $50. Blinds $0.25/$0.50

Player 1 utg ($56) LIMPS $0.5
Player 2 FOLD
player 3 FOLD
HERO ($86) RAISE to $3 with 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
SB $0.25 FOLDS
BB($130) COLD CALLS

FLOP ($7.25)
8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

HERO BETS $5 (At this point I am trying to take the pot down right here and i'm pleased with the open end draw)

VILLAIN CHECK RAISES to $10
My thought at this point was that villain range could be A7/A8, 22-TT. I felt that the min check raise either meant villain was v.strong and he has trips 22/77/88 or that he could be pushed off A7/A8 33/44/55/66/99/TT to a decent reraise. Therefore my intention was to make it $25 total and see what villain did. If villain reriased allin I would fold and if villain called I would check behind the turn.
In error I made it $30 total and villain calls.

Turn ($67.25) Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Villain bets $25

So on the turn I know villain is not going to fold to a reraise and i'm definitely behind but i'm sure if I catch my card my hand looks like an overpair and i'm sure to stack him. So it's now $25 to win $92.25 (+ $26 if I catch my straight) I now i feel I have odds to call.

I would like for you to critique my thought process on every street. Some may fold pre-flop but for those who would make this squeeze play trying to win the dead money (blinds plus utg limp) I am interested to know how you would play it on every street there after.

Thanks in advance guys and apologies for no converter as none of the ones that claim to convert absolute hand histories appear to be working.

XHitman014
04-26-2007, 02:13 PM
I don't mind raising 56d from the button in position and I'd be happy with the big stack calling OOP so at least the implied odds are out theere.

I would actually consider checking behind on the flop, it's looking like a very, very dry board and I think he could raise you with ATC if you thinks you're cbetting.

The turn call (considing you'll get his stack every time if you hit) is very, very thin & you don't have any FE if you push. I fold here and curse the fact I can't ever hit flops hard with SCs.

ajml
04-26-2007, 02:37 PM
no idea if its right but i would call his flop raise. you have position on the turn and can decide if you want to bluff at the pot there if you dont hit, i probably wouldnt but im sure there could be some merit in doing so. there is a good chance he will bet out again on the turn so if you do hit you should be able to get his stack.

Jihad
04-26-2007, 02:46 PM
squeeze play

pureklas
04-26-2007, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
squeeze play

[/ QUOTE ]

So by this two word comment with no explanation I am left to guess that you mean this is not a squeeze play and I have used the phrase out of context?

Dilznoofus
04-26-2007, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
squeeze play

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't a squeeze play by the definition I've seen. It's just a late position raise with limpers in front.

I would have just called the flop checkraise getting great odds to win a huge pot if Villain has a hand. If he doesn't have a hand he'll often give up on the turn and I can bluff it there anyway.

The turn call is a math question since you can be pretty sure the rest will go in if you hit on the river. I keep getting your stack as $28 on the turn, not $26. To simplify the equation just add on the rest of your stack to the $92.25 which = $120.25 by my math.

So it's 25/120.25 which is 4.8:1. The odds of hitting your straight are 4.7:1 so you can call the turn bet just barely, but you can also fold if you don't want to deal with this kind of variance.

If I have it wrong and your remaining stack is $26 then it's 25/118.25 = 4.73:1, which is virtually neutral EV.

Ikaika
04-26-2007, 03:13 PM
for it to be a squeeze, there needs to be a raiser, caller(s), and then a reraise. The guy in the middle is getting squeezed.

ADK
04-26-2007, 03:15 PM
i give up on turn here.

pureklas
04-26-2007, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
for it to be a squeeze, there needs to be a raiser, caller(s), and then a reraise. The guy in the middle is getting squeezed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. Thank you for explaining that.

C4LL4W4Y
04-26-2007, 03:16 PM
I probably raise preflop...as for the flop, this is a great flop to check behind and rep missed overs, while getting a free card for your draw. At the same time betting out is fine, but when he min checkraises you I'd just call.

React1oN
04-26-2007, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i give up on turn here.

[/ QUOTE ]

jmgambler
04-26-2007, 06:43 PM
IMHO, I have made plays like this in position... I do not have an issue with it.

I think your Cbet is a little small on the flop, in plays like this I like to make it exactly Pot so $7.25.

The C/R is interesting? alot of times I am tempted to just call as a reraise just prompts a push and I have to fold.
I dont dislike your play or thought process, though

AnyMouse
04-26-2007, 07:26 PM
i absolutely like a call on his flop c/r. without a good read, he's not doing this light enough of the time to make rr worth it. if he's got something, he'll probably lead turn at which point you can get nearly or full value if you hit and if you miss you can re-evaluate your pot/implied odds situation for possible river action. you're in position with a draw... so take advantage of it.

if you rr flop instead, it just puts you in an awkward position (as you noticed) on the many occasions he doesn't fold.

.xxxx.
04-26-2007, 07:32 PM
Your thought process is great. I like how you assigned a range and made plans of attack based on those ranges.

If you were deeper I would have said your 3bet on the flop was brilliant, but here you're pot committing yourself against a calling range that only leaves you 8 outs. Villain leads out turn, which turns it into a math eqn for all your chips and as Dilz pointed out you're nearly there for a call. Had you called the donk minraise on the flop, you'd have had a lot more maneauverability on the turn and committed less money when behind.

Kasane
04-26-2007, 07:39 PM
Ummm, how did the turn get so big? If he c/r 10, you call, that's $27. If you mean he c/r to $15, that's still only 37. If you meant 15, and you're including his next bet, that's still only 62 (but getting closer)...

oops, I see you rr. Well, guess I didn't expect that. Don't rr.