PDA

View Full Version : Another "Purpose" Question

New001
01-04-2006, 08:11 AM
This is mostly directed towards the religious crowd, though I'm sure there are others who could contribute too.

It is my understanding that most, if not all, creatures on this planet have very specific purposes. First and foremost would be to live to breed and produce capable offspring. Secondary would be to sustain life beyond that once their offspring are created (often to help in their development, to create more offspring, or whatever). And please, correct me if you think I'm wrong here.

Why must humans be different?

godBoy
01-04-2006, 08:32 AM
evolution states we are no different to the animals - just more evolved.

The bible says that we are vastly different - our being is a complex one - containing an eternal spirit that is destined for heaven.

We must be seen as different because we are - vastly different. An honest question - do animals commit suicide?

New001
01-04-2006, 08:36 AM
I can't say for sure, but I know of no examples of other animals commiting suicide similar to humans.

MidGe
01-04-2006, 08:52 AM
Praying mantis commit suicide by mating. Some wasps do loose their life when loosing/using their darts. There are absolutely many more example of suicides in the animal kingdom for all sorts of different reasons.

It doesn't seem you know much about the world godboy.

Or:

You are preaching again godboy! Even in the guise of an honest question.

diebitter
01-04-2006, 08:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

The bible says that we are vastly different - our being is a complex one - containing an eternal spirit that is destined for heaven.

We must be seen as different because we are - vastly different. An honest question - do animals commit suicide?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just wanna ask, would you consider acting in a way that will kill it, but allow offspring or other individuals which which it shares genetic material (eg siblings) to continue living, as suicide?

I don't wanna go off on one because I've chosen to define 'suicide' my way and it doesn't really match something you'd accept as suicide.

tolbiny
01-04-2006, 11:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Lemmings and whales both do. ON a side note, lemmings have been known to also practice Homosexuality (as do some primates).

hmkpoker
01-04-2006, 11:37 AM
Of course not, they're too dumb to create a reason to.

I agree though, godBoy, this is clearly evidence of a soul, and deductively, of intelligent design.

tolbiny
01-04-2006, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong- Evolution says we ARE different BECAUSE we evolved (and also because other animals evolved as well).

"We must be seen as different because we are - vastly different"

In what ways?

hmkpoker
01-04-2006, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Lemmings and whales both do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? How? I've never heard of this.

New001
01-04-2006, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Lemmings and whales both do. ON a side note, lemmings have been known to also practice Homosexuality (as do some primates).

[/ QUOTE ]
Wikipedia disagrees with the suicidal lemmings, calling it a myth. I assume you mean whales beaching? I don't know if you can definitively call that suicide, at least it's not agreed on.

Of course, I'd say a lot of this depends on what you define suicide to be. Is it the willing termination of your own life, engaging in an activity that will surely end in death, or something else?