PDA

View Full Version : teaser

Pitbull3k
04-25-2007, 11:19 AM
You want to bet on the yankees to win a playoff series. You go to a bookie and place a bet at 1-1 to win $1000. The bookie replies I dont take series bets, only individual games. How much should you bet on each individual game to win exactly $1000 no matter how many games the series goes, if the yankees win.

ApeAttack
04-25-2007, 03:09 PM
Just to make sure I understand...
Do you only want to gamble $1000 (net) regardless if the Yankees win or lose the series?

arahant
04-25-2007, 03:20 PM
You can't make all the bets in advance...Actually, you don't have to make any bets at all until the yankees win 3 games. When you get to that point, you bet 1k on the yankees. If they lose that game (and it's not game 7) you bet 2k on the next one

thylacine
04-25-2007, 03:24 PM
For a best-of-3, i.e. race-to-2 series, bet $500 on 1st two games, and bet $1000 on game 3 if it is (needed to be) played.

thylacine
04-25-2007, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

For a best-of-3, i.e. race-to-2 series, bet $500 on 1st two games, and bet $1000 on game 3 if it is (needed to be) played.

[/ QUOTE ]

For a best-of-7, i.e. race-to-4 series, bet $312.50 on 1st two games, and ...... I'll leave it there as another tease.

If OP knows how to do it, he knows I've got it.

jason1990
04-25-2007, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You want to bet on the yankees to win a playoff series. You go to a bookie and place a bet at 1-1 to win $1000. The bookie replies I dont take series bets, only individual games. How much should you bet on each individual game to win exactly $1000 no matter how many games the series goes, if the yankees win.

[/ QUOTE ]
Instead of trying to win $1000, I will try to win $16, since the answer is easier to state. Scale it up for any desired amount.

Bet $5 on each of the first two games. In game 3, bet $6 if the series is tied, and $4 otherwise. In game 4, bet $6 if both teams have won at least one game, and $2 otherwise. In game 5, bet $8 if the series is tied, and $4 otherwise. Bet $8 in game 6. Bet $16 in game 7.

AlexM
04-25-2007, 05:05 PM
Isn't a playoff series 5 games?

AlexM
04-25-2007, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Instead of trying to win $1000, I will try to win $16, since the answer is easier to state. Scale it up for any desired amount.

Bet $5 on each of the first two games. In game 3, bet $6 if the series is tied, and $4 otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

My understanding of the question is that you're making all the bets up front before you know any results. You're trying to create a 1k series bet.

arahant
04-25-2007, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet $5 on each of the first two games. In game 3, bet $6 if the series is tied, and $4 otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

My understanding of the question is that you're making all the bets up front before you know any results. You're trying to create a 1k series bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that's not possible...or at least, it wasn't when i thought about it for my first post - too lazy to think any more... though thylacine seems to have worked out that it is. Care to continue your "7-game" strategy, thylacine sir?

thylacine
04-25-2007, 11:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that's not possible...or at least, it wasn't when i thought about it for my first post - too lazy to think any more... though thylacine seems to have worked out that it is. Care to continue your "7-game" strategy, thylacine sir?

[/ QUOTE ]

jason1990 posted a complete answer above. (Note: (5/16)$1000=$312.50.)

Yes, you need to base each bet on results so far.