PDA

View Full Version : Fire the 3rd bullet?

CazicT
04-25-2007, 10:06 AM
I've been trying to look for opportunities to bluff more since it hasn't been a big part of my game to this point.

I thought the two bullets I fired had a decent chance of working, but they didn't. Would a third bullet be advisable? Were my first two bluffs foolish?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($12.45)
UTG ($24.65)
Hero ($46.65)
MP1 ($32.80)
MP2 ($24.65)
MP3 ($24.90)
CO ($19.95)
Button ($10.85)
SB ($23.20)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.85) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.5</font>, BB calls $0.50, UTG folds.

Turn: ($1.85) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.5</font>, BB calls $1.50.

River: ($4.85) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero ...

kolotoure
04-25-2007, 10:08 AM
That turn is a bad card to double barrel. Firing another shell here would be really bad

ocdscale
04-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Flush draw got there
He didn't fold the first two times you fired with the K high board.
You're ahead of the OESDs (excluding the flopped straight)
I just check behind.

ShipitFMA
04-25-2007, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That river is a bad card to triple barrel. Firing another shell here would be really bad

[/ QUOTE ]

Check behind and expect to see flush/straight/boat ALOT

resboard
04-25-2007, 10:59 AM
I may be a little out of wack here as i haven't played much FR NL, but I personally don't think you fired "bullets". You didn't bet the pot on either round. If he has OESD or Flush draw your not really making him pay to much.

CazicT
04-25-2007, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the responses.

My thinking was that since he checked to me on the flop, he PROBABLY, didn't have a king, so I took a stab. He called, so I was thinking he had second pair or something.

When the turn came with another King and he again checked to me, I figured if he did indeed have second pair, another bet would make him lay down.

When he called that bet, I started to think he actually had something so I better slow down. Maybe he had a weak king or something. When the flush card came on the river, the thought crossed my mind to try to represent that I hit a flush, but I didn't figure changing my story at this point would be a good idea, so I just checked and figured hey I gave it two shots and it didn't work, oh well.

Is the fact that he check/called twice an indicator that he is on a draw? Should I have feared QJ more?

He checked behind me and won with QT (second pair). My read happened to be right on his hand, but I guess he could have just as easily had me crushed with something else. I'm really not so sure that a 3rd bullet would have gotten him to fold even though he ended up with only second pair anyway.

Does a bet have to be pot sized to be considered a bullet?

Supwithbates
04-25-2007, 02:04 PM
don't bother pure bluffing at limped pots

Waingro
04-25-2007, 02:08 PM
Fold pf, donīt bet the flop, donīt bet the turn and oh, donīt bet the river.

CaptVimes
04-25-2007, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't have to be but I would suggest it, at least on the flop. You have to play like someone with top pair would with straight and flush draws out. At least act like you are trying to protect your hand.

This is one thing I have noticed about a lot about Stars players, that they flop the nuts and then play rope-a-dope. That's why I check behind on this turn I figure I am beat here and I have very little chance of improving. Multi-street bluffs are not really profitable in micro-fr because you either get stations who call down with any piece of the flop or players thinking they are sneaky and playing the nuts weak and its hard to tell who is who. Did this player look like a good candidate for a bluff?

Also, and this is nitty, I don't like playing Axs from EP in Full Ring. I would much rather play this in late middle and late position where you can raise pre-flop and take control of the hand.

monkeymaps
04-25-2007, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the responses.

My thinking was that since he checked to me on the flop, he PROBABLY, didn't have a king, so I took a stab. He called, so I was thinking he had second pair or something.

When the turn came with another King and he again checked to me, I figured if he did indeed have second pair, another bet would make him lay down.

When he called that bet, I started to think he actually had something so I better slow down. Maybe he had a weak king or something. When the flush card came on the river, the thought crossed my mind to try to represent that I hit a flush, but I didn't figure changing my story at this point would be a good idea, so I just checked and figured hey I gave it two shots and it didn't work, oh well.

Is the fact that he check/called twice an indicator that he is on a draw? Should I have feared QJ more?

He checked behind me and won with QT (second pair). My read happened to be right on his hand, but I guess he could have just as easily had me crushed with something else. I'm really not so sure that a 3rd bullet would have gotten him to fold even though he ended up with only second pair anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find myself running into the same spots alot but when c beting.

I have learned that even if you are pretty confident that villian has middle pair and they c/c flop if TP pairs the board then its never good to try and rep trips. This cuts both ways when you do have it you get lots of value but even if youve been super tight at this level this play never works for two reasons IMO

1. If your agianst a thinking player board pair makes it less likely that you had TP on the flop

2. At 25NL most donks think OOOO I have two pair now and never fold. Even if they just had bottom pair on the flop.

Oh and most villains dont play their draws very agro at this level so its tough to rep a flush if youve been betting the whole way IMO.

Bowlboy
04-25-2007, 02:21 PM
I think that in unraised pots it is ok to fire the turn here as a lot of people tend to call the flop and fold the turn because it only costs them a couple of BB. Definitely wouldnt think about betting the river though. Either he has a King, he likes A10 enough to call another bet or the flush got there.

CazicT
04-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Makes alot of sense that bluffing at these limits won't work alot. I definetly notice alot of stations and alot of people that would rather trap someone for 2.00 with a monster than straight bet and make 15+. This particular player I didn't really know, but later I determined they seemed stationey. I guess I shouldn't be trying unless I have a better idea.

This is a skill I would like to develop, but I don't want to lose a ton of money doing it. I guess maybe I just have to wait and find a good candidate, surely there are bluffable players at this level, they just aren't the norm.

As for playing A8s, I tend to play it because it isn't a bad deep stack hand to be playing even in early pos. as long as you are good enough not to lose alot when you hit just the ace. Obviously on this hand I was just "trying out" some bluffing and obviously stumbled a bit.