PDA

View Full Version : Gambling ring arrests in Phoenix

groo
04-25-2007, 01:30 AM
I did a search and didn't find this anywhere. If I'm in the wrong forum please feel free to move it. thank you.

The TV news story on this mentioned online gambling, but i can't seem to find anything specific on what these arrests cover. Anybody else?

Exclusive: Arpaio arrests dozens in gambling ring (www.abc15.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=ce4d7ff0-b3a8-496b-acc9-e3b8d4217e8c)

Zele
04-25-2007, 01:34 AM
Link broken

ZPinhead
04-25-2007, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Link broken

[/ QUOTE ]

Not broken, just poorly executed...

http://www.abc15.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=ce4d7ff0-b3a8-496b-acc9-e3b8d4217e8c

Zele
04-25-2007, 02:46 AM
Damn, this looks like heavy [censored]. This Arpaio fellow is apparently a rather controversial sheriff.

Google hits 1 and 4:
arpaio.com (for his recall) (http://www.arpaio.com/)
mothers against Arpaio (http://www.mothersagainstarpaio.com/)

whangarei
04-25-2007, 04:18 AM
This is not the first story where bookies in the U.S. are arrested and some people think that "online gambling" is the target. It seems to me that this is just a bust of a gambling ring in the 21st century, where the bookies use the internet as a tool for booking bets. This has nothing to do with playing at a poker site or a sports betting site, or even with running one of those sites.

doughhater
04-25-2007, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
his has nothing to do with playing at a poker site or a sports betting site

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently you missed this,

Maricopa County detectives say "Operation High Stakes" will now move into phase two, which means hundreds of people who placed bets with these individuals and websites will soon be contacted by detectives and possibly arrested.

ReptileHouse
04-25-2007, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This Arpaio fellow is apparently a rather controversial sheriff.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's quite an understatement.

I can't stand the guy. Frustrates me to no end that he keeps getting put back in.

APerfect10
04-25-2007, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maricopa County detectives say "Operation High Stakes" will now move into phase two, which means hundreds of people who placed bets with these individuals and websites will soon be contacted by detectives and possibly arrested.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the previous poster still could hold true. His statements do not contradict this paragraph in the article...

groo
04-25-2007, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not broken, just poorly executed...

[/ QUOTE ]

Poorly excuted does not surprise me at all /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sounds to me like this has nothing to do with the type of online sites affected by the recent legislation and more to do with what the wire act was originally meant to deal with.

And yes, Sheriff Joe is indeed a nut case, but often good for a laugh or two.

whangarei
04-25-2007, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I didn't miss it. I don't think it's too unusual for bettors with local gambling rings to be threatened with prosecution. I think this has been the case long before the internet. But the ring itself is the main target. I maintain this prosecution has nothing to do with playing at offshore internet gambling sites like The Greek or PokerStars.

krazyace5
04-26-2007, 08:35 PM
I love it when they have these articles and then right next to them have gambling ads.