PDA

View Full Version : NL 50 | 88 in 3bet pot, float turns into combodraw

Xanta
04-24-2007, 11:16 PM
I haven't played enough hands with villain to get an accurate idea of his preflop stats but I know that he is quite loose preflop, and is pretty passive postflop. One hand eariler he called down in position with flopped trips top kicker because the turn brought the third flush card.

Party Poker
No Limit Hold'em Cash Game
$0.25/$0.50 Blinds
6 Players
LegoPoker HH Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh/)

SB: $52.45
BB: $22.49
UTG: $29.25
<font color="black">Hero (MP): $50</font>
CO: $28.86
BTN: $47.55

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (6 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2</font>, 2 folds, <font color="red">SB raises to $4.50</font>, BB folds, Hero calls $2.50
<font color="blue">OK I've never seen him 3bet before but I have position and that raise is tiny so I call, pretty standard I think</font>

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($9.50) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $4</font>, Hero calls $4
<font color="blue"> Flop is very drawy and he bets weak. I doubt that he'd bet so small with AA-KK, he might with QQ to be sneaky, I don't know. That bet as a kind of 'where am I at' bet makes sense with JJ-88 though. I call intending to bet if he checks the turn or raise if the turn brings a scarecard</font>

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($17.50) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $6</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $25</font>
<font color="blue">Great googly moogly that's a good card for me. With my OESFD, I have two options, raise big (for FE) or call (pot odds) My equity isn't great against AA-QQ, AQ (especially if he has a bigger spade) but his lead here looks a ton like a blocking bet, so I think that I have a bit of fold equity. I don't like calling and then being lost when a spade comes on the river, so I raise it up. Is that OK? Raise size OK? </font>

Xanta
04-25-2007, 10:16 AM
Bump for the non-nocturnal crowd. FWIW I think I misplayed this on the turn.

barryc83
04-25-2007, 10:23 AM
Id rather just call and maybe call down, youre only folding out hands like AK/AJ whatever that youre ahead of on the turn. A lot of times Ill just fold the flop bc this is gonna be some moron with AA-JJ a good bit, but I understand why you called. I take the odds on the turn and just call though.

wildzer0
04-25-2007, 10:28 AM
Well, if villain is really loose/passive postflop, I don' t like the turn raise. A lot of loose passive opponents will take this line with a strong overpair and that sort of thing - hands they definitely will not fold to any amount of pressure. I'd rather view his small turn bet as failing to protect his hand and call.

C4LL4W4Y
04-25-2007, 10:28 AM
Why would you float an opponent that's passive postflop?

Regardless, yeah I call turn.

kolotoure
04-25-2007, 10:30 AM
Raising this turn is so bad. He never folds a better hand IMO and it can lead to a lot of sucky river spots

Xanta
04-25-2007, 01:25 PM
Yeah I was really trying to fold out AQ, JJ-99 but I didn't realize that AQ rarely folds even if he does spook easily and that JJ-99 are less likely because of preflop.

Chomp
04-25-2007, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I was really trying to fold out AQ, JJ-99 but I didn't realize that AQ rarely folds even if he does spook easily and that JJ-99 are less likely because of preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing that kills me about 50NL is that, like you, I see so many spots where I think a big bet should make a villain fold hands like AQ, but I have absolutely no confidence that they will do so and I am increasingly unwilling to risk half a stack to find out.

This hand is a perfect example IMO. I call down fwiw.

Xanta
04-25-2007, 01:37 PM
I have such a bad time not raising blocking bets with air. I mean, he donkbets 1/4 pot on the river, I raise with a busted draw and he calls with second pair. This is a pretty big leak when I'm doing it against an unknown.