PDA

View Full Version : IF TIME NEVER EXISTED!

gambler2k4
04-22-2007, 12:24 AM
If there was no such thing as "TIME", how would this effect our poker minds. I find myself all the time trying to build a BR in the shortest amount of "TIME".... if there was no such thing as "TIME" I would play relaxfull. But everything in life is centered around TIME.

TheOffice
04-22-2007, 02:49 AM
I'm no physics researcher by far, but wouldn't we stand still without TIME? And wouldn't that lead me to the conclusion that I couldn't move or do anything at all, not even spending a millisecond of thought on the fact that there are things like bankrolls?

Not really a psychology topic, is it?

tagg
04-22-2007, 05:59 AM
Actually, time doesn't exist. It's only a thoughtform, something man has made up. All we really have is each moment, here and now, time is just an illusion we've created for our convinience.

Anyone can choose to just relax into the now and stop being concerned about the future or the past, and just be. A lot of people don't realize this though. It's just a choice you have to make with awareness.

llleisure
04-22-2007, 10:05 AM
It's not that time doesn't exist - but it *might* not exist or at least past, present and future may all be about the same.

Go Google "retrocausality" and read about it, interesting stuff. A really bad short explanation of it is that the future can affect the present - effect may preceed cause. I may have decided to post this answer before you asked your question. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

bwadbwoy
04-22-2007, 10:14 AM
Steven Hawkins told me that time is a property of our universe

Philo
04-22-2007, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If there was no such thing as "TIME", how would this effect our poker minds. I find myself all the time trying to build a BR in the shortest amount of "TIME".... if there was no such thing as "TIME" I would play relaxfull. But everything in life is centered around TIME.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there was no such thing as time you wouldn't exist.

PJo336
04-22-2007, 03:06 PM
All of the future has already occurred all the way till the end of the universe. "Time" is just us catching up and replaying what has happened.

Geir74
04-22-2007, 03:22 PM
You cannot separate time from space, as Einstein pointed out. Neither can you separate space-time from energy (matter/EMW – the whole physical existence). Energy can only be described by the space-time continuum. Energy is like the negative image of space-time.

But, inside some black holes it might exist places where the shape of space-time is such that you actually could move in space without moving in time …

… but I don’t see any possibility for broadband connection in the near future at those locations.

arahant
04-22-2007, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, time doesn't exist. It's only a thoughtform, something man has made up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well hell. I hope my bank doesn't catch on and stop paying interest!

vhawk01
04-22-2007, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, time doesn't exist. It's only a thoughtform, something man has made up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well hell. I hope my bank doesn't catch on and stop paying interest!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is +EV for me, unfortunately.

Philo
04-22-2007, 08:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

But, inside some black holes it might exist places where the shape of space-time is such that you actually could move in space without moving in time

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not know the inside of black holes were so hospitable! How's the market these days?

Geir74
04-22-2007, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I did not know the inside of black holes were so hospitable! How's the market these days?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not good. The lower end is collapsing. I wouldnt buy in the near future.

Dominic
04-22-2007, 10:35 PM
relaxfull?

Philo
04-23-2007, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not good. The lower end is collapsing. I wouldnt buy in the near future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Noted!

TheChad
04-23-2007, 07:45 AM
I'm thinking I'm answering literally to a philisophical question.
I just try to play the best poker I know how at the time I'm sitting there. This is all you can do.

Hoi Polloi
04-23-2007, 04:28 PM
If time didn't exist you could c/r the river and fold the flop.

vhawk01
04-23-2007, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If time didn't exist you could c/r the river and fold the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure Stars does something like this. Reverse causality seems to be the norm there. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

JPajamas
04-23-2007, 04:43 PM
Without time, everything would happen all at once. It would have happened already, finished. My head hurts.

m_the0ry
04-24-2007, 12:33 AM
Time is another dimension just like any other. One thing I find particularly fascinating about time is the symmetry around causality. If we observe a baseball pitch and hit going 'backwards' in time in the classical sense, we are forced to conclude that the hit caused the pitch instead of the other way around. Only in knowing outside knowledge about the 'correct' flow of time can we decide that the pitch caused the hit - and that is an arbitrary decision at best.

If just for entertainment, consider yourself as a photon. Time is frozen and you are no more in control of your propagation through space than a person is in control of his or her propagation through time. Perhaps it's just as likely that consciousness manifests itself as a function of space as it is time. In which case space becomes how that consciousness defines time as it becomes the universal independent variable.

rpr
04-24-2007, 09:31 AM
I view time as the difference between chaos and perfection.

As opposed to using entropy as the "arrow of time". I interpret that as saying life is naturally progressing towards chaos, as opposed to evolving towards stable forms.

If the Big Bang was the beginning of time, then at that moment energy was dense and chaotic. As time progressed, the energy spread out becoming more stable and more coherent (i.e. particles with lower rest-mass energy). These particles then combine to form complex self-similar systems, always increasing the coherency.

When particle accelerators reveal short lived particles that quickly decay into a stable form, it seems it is like looking back in time.

The only form of infinite time a human experiences is a dream. It's possible that a reality of infinite time does exist. Once energy has evolved to the point of maximum coherency (i.e. superconducting), perhaps reality becomes like a lucid dream. Thus, our particles evolve/decompose into more stable forms -- the electron goes the way of the muon and tauon (e.g. a bosonic electron emerges).

On an economical level, with room temperature superconductors most of the work humans do would no longer be required. If energy is a function of time and there’s no need for energy, there’d be no time essentially.

On a spiritual level, for a human to be “superconducting” they have to exist in an enlightened state of oneness with all that is. I'll leave that for another time but there is an ancient book that does explain, in a sense, the physics of Heaven.