PDA

View Full Version : Kyl and Gonzales discuss UIGEA at hearing

Nathan_2
04-20-2007, 04:36 AM
C-SPAN clip. You may have to associate real player for rtsp. Link to google rec.gambling.poker razzo post. LINK (http://groups.google.com/group/rec.gambling.poker/browse_thread/thread/e364a3ac2bcd394c/bfa6bc0104711736#bfa6bc0104711736)
40:33 into the stream

daedalus
04-20-2007, 06:13 AM
WOW call me an optimist but this sounds like the banking regulations are going to be severely watered down or non-existent. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

My synopsis of the exchange.....

1) Kyle pushes Gonzalez to show his support for UIGEA

2) Gonzalez does

3) Kyle pushes him to making sure the banking regulations being finalized now are as strong as possible.

4) Gonzalez says essentially "yes...but...this is going to be very hard to accomplish"!!!

WE WIN!!.....maybe /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jrbick
04-20-2007, 08:21 AM
lol bureaucracy

jrbick
04-20-2007, 08:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
WOW call me an optimist but this sounds like the banking regulations are going to be severely watered down or non-existent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't gather that at all. What I did gather was that the establishment and implementation of the regulations could take longer than originally projected.

EDIT: well, maybe the implication is that it won't be as far-reaching as lawmakers hoped for?

Also, is it reasonable for Kyl to interrupt the hearing to bring this issue up? Watching through the beginning to see if others did this as well. Obviously this is standard politically but man what a hobby horse Kyl makes this.

Coy_Roy
04-20-2007, 08:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
C-SPAN clip. You may have to associate real player for rtsp. Link to google rec.gambling.poker razzo post. LINK (http://groups.google.com/group/rec.gambling.poker/browse_thread/thread/e364a3ac2bcd394c/bfa6bc0104711736#bfa6bc0104711736)

[/ QUOTE ]

My take is that Gonzalez was simply being respectful by adding in "it is to me too" after first saying "I know this is important to you".

In the world of DC politics, it isn't very important.

Gonzalez probably thinks Kyl is a big douche for even pushing the issue.

It's clearly burdensome and not a top priority.

Coy_Roy
04-20-2007, 08:43 AM
It would have been nice however to hear Gonzalez say something like:

"Well Senator Kyl, I think the issue is important too but we can't rush into things as we've got some issues that conflict with the recent WTO ruling that need to be worked out first. "

jrbick
04-20-2007, 09:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, is it reasonable for Kyl to interrupt the hearing to bring this issue up? Watching through the beginning to see if others did this as well. Obviously this is standard politically but man what a hobby horse Kyl makes this.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK yah no one else did anything like this it wasn't like Kyl was wrapping things up or anything. W/e though; probably standard politiking. I doubt Gonzales is walking out of that room at the end thinking, "man I gotta get going on that UIGEA thing."

asterion
04-20-2007, 09:40 AM
Yeah, Gonzales will probably be lucky if he still has a job in July.

ChrisV
04-20-2007, 09:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

"Well Senator Kyl, I think the issue is important too but we can't rush into things as we've got some issues that conflict with the recent WTO ruling that need to be worked out first. "

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

dude you must be smoking some primo [censored] if you can even IMAGINE a Bush administration official saying "Unfortunately before we can make policy, we must consult with random international NGOs who will tell us what to do".

CountingMyOuts
04-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Talk about hitching your wagon to a falling star. Nicely played, Kyl. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

CompatiblePoker
04-20-2007, 02:24 PM
Is anyone having trouble finding this stream? I seem to be retarded.

The video link I believe you are referring to is this one under "Featured Links"

Senate Judiciary Hearing on Attorney Firings: Afternoon Session (4/19/2007)

Under 40:33 I get Specter speaking using real player?

The Bandit Fish
04-20-2007, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is anyone having trouble finding this stream? I seem to be retarded.

The video link I believe you are referring to is this one under "Featured Links"

Senate Judiciary Hearing on Attorney Firings: Afternoon Session (4/19/2007)

Under 40:33 I get Specter speaking using real player?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you go to their little search and type in "afternoon session" it will be the first link listed. You'll need real player though :/

Uglyowl
04-20-2007, 04:14 PM
Gonzales is not going to piss off anyone at this point no matter what any Senator says. Gonzales needs all the support he can get.

Coy_Roy
04-20-2007, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

dude you must be smoking some primo [censored] if you can even IMAGINE a Bush administration official saying "Unfortunately before we can make policy, we must consult with random international NGOs who will tell us what to do".

[/ QUOTE ]

I can envision him saying that right after he advises the president they should stop wiretapping US citizens and torturing prisoners of war. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I live in Fantasyland, my happy place. Candy anyone?

daedalus
04-20-2007, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Talk about hitching your wagon to a falling star. Nicely played, Kyl. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /images/graemlins/club.gif

Great observation. Kyl must be desperate in that he knows the regs are going in the crapper. So desperate that in the final weeks before they get finalized his only leverage is to push an outgoing AG to convince the Treasury to do more. Sounds like a guy who just got dumped but keeps calling his girlfriend 20x a day in hopes of getting back together. Kyl's lucky he has a job, we almost ran his ass our of arizona. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

CountingMyOuts
04-20-2007, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] /images/graemlins/club.gif

Great observation. Kyl must be desperate in that he knows the regs are going in the crapper. So desperate that in the final weeks before they get finalized his only leverage is to push an outgoing AG to convince the Treasury to do more. Sounds like a guy who just got dumped but keeps calling his girlfriend 20x a day in hopes of getting back together. Kyl's lucky he has a job, we almost ran his ass our of arizona. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely, he's coming off as desperate. I believe that Barney Frank being the head of the Financial Services Committee AND being on the offensive on this issue has him scared beyond belief.

I would really love to know if he (Kyl) really and truly believes in his cause or if it is the usual ulterior motive...

Zele
04-20-2007, 06:41 PM
I'd like to be believe it's because he's a scumbag (not that he necessarily isn't anyway), but I personally think he's a true beliver. Kyl/Leach/Goodlatte had been beating this drum constantly, without much change due to elections or news cycles. Frist on the other hand...

jrbick
04-20-2007, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Didn't think of this as possibly indicating desperation. Interesting thought.

Sniper
04-20-2007, 10:19 PM
It sure sounds like Kyl believes the DOJ is not spending enough time working with Treasury...

daedalus
04-20-2007, 10:26 PM
VERY IMPORTANT: Gonzalez says in the testimony that DoJ pretty much will not be able to provide the necessary list of 'gambling sites' that Treasury needs in order for the banks to block 'illegal gambling transactions' to these sites.

Kyl wanted him to not only provide the list but update it periodically. AG said 'too hard'. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sounds like UIGEA is dead. There's no way they can ask the banks to figure out what a illegal gambling site is on their own. The banking lobbyists must be fuming over this which explains Barney Frank's calling this law stupid.

Sniper
04-20-2007, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
VERY IMPORTANT: Gonzalez says in the testimony that DoJ pretty much will not be able to provide the necessary list of 'gambling sites' that Treasury needs in order for the banks to block 'illegal gambling transactions' to these sites.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not interpret his statements to mean that... there are obviously discussions going on...

daedalus
04-20-2007, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not interpret his statements to mean that... there are obviously discussions going on...

[/ QUOTE ]

I read it different, here's why...

1) there's only a few days left on the clock (little time to work it out).

2) AG hinted at fundamental problems with doing this (privacy, fairness, I don't know? he didn't show his hand).

3) for a guys sitting at the green table trying to save his job that was about as direct of a "we can't do what you want senator" as your going to get.

Sniper
04-20-2007, 11:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I read it different, here's why...

1) there's only a few days left on the clock (little time to work it out).

2) AG hinted at fundamental problems with doing this (privacy, fairness, I don't know? he didn't show his hand).

3) for a guys sitting at the green table trying to save his job that was about as direct of a "we can't do what you want senator" as your going to get.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you misunderstand the importance of the DOJ in the process of drafting the Regs... they are only consulted... Kyl could want the DOJ to do anything, but at the end of the day, its not up to the DOJ to force anything on the Regs process.

daedalus
04-20-2007, 11:25 PM
in the process of Kyl's question he read from the law which delineates DoJ with the role of identifying the bad sites. Those are his words not mine. I agree with your larger point that the Treasury holds the true cards here but I think this hiccup in DoJ's part could be a showstopper for enforcement.

Sniper
04-20-2007, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
in the process of Kyl's question he read from the law which delineates DoJ with the role of identifying the bad sites. Those are his words not mine. I agree with your larger point that the Treasury holds the true cards here but I think this hiccup in DoJ's part could be a showstopper for enforcement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you read the law yourself?

fleece_me
04-21-2007, 02:25 AM
Sniper, I for one haven't and I was wondering what the criminal punishment for violating the law is?

Irrespective of the regulations and how they are enforced, it is the threat of prision and how severe the sentence that will ultimately dictate whether processing and e-wallets are again convenient and avaiable for the players.

In the end, for the sites and the players, it is all about the ability to move money around freely.

Cactus Jack
04-21-2007, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what blows my mind, too! I do not understand his obsession with Internet gambling. Money laundering for terrorist activities? Is he kidding?

With everything this poor idiot Gonzales has to deal with, Kyl puts his feet to the fire over something that few besides Kyl even want?

Shocking, appalling and downright weird.

daedalus
04-21-2007, 05:45 PM
So if Kyl knows all these terrorists are playing on poker rooms dumping money to their sleeper cells in the U.S. then let's take advantage of it. I think I've seen them, LAGs at the BoDog NL100 tables. I'm just going to hold for premium cards and check-raise.

Sniper...you're right on the law DoJ only consults. Kyl did mention tho that Treasury needs the DoJ list of sites because they don't have access to a list that's worth a hoot.

Sniper
04-21-2007, 08:21 PM
I guess everyone who ever did a Neteller transaction will be placed on the terrorist watch list... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

MLSchaff
04-22-2007, 12:08 PM
I found it hilarious that Kyl placed such emphasis on how easy gambling sites make it to anonymously move money.

How many of us have had to jump through hoops of providing identification documents in order to do cashouts?

Not exactly anonymous. More proof that Kyl has no idea what he's talking about.

daedalus
04-22-2007, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I found it hilarious that Kyl placed such emphasis on how easy gambling sites make it to anonymously move money.

[/ QUOTE ]

He must have had a past life episode where he insta-dumped his bankroll to someone on Stars he didn't know. That's the only anonymous movement of money online.

Sniper
04-22-2007, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

How many of us have had to jump through hoops of providing identification documents in order to do cashouts?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are plenty of people who have not had to provide any identifying information, ever!

DrewOnTilt
04-22-2007, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried to play this thing, and I get the error message "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (rstp) isn't associated with any program." WTF? I tried it through RealPlayer and through IE as well, and also got error messages.

LeapFrog
04-22-2007, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are plenty of people who have not had to provide any identifying information, ever!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sniper, I know that you enjoy playing devil's advocate. Do you really buy arguments that money laundering/transfers/whatever using Poker sites as intermediaries is a significant issue? Has it happended/does it happen? I'm sure, but how big a slice of the pie is it? .1%? .001%? Kyl's argument is ridiculous when you look at the big picture.

Why isn't he leading the push to ban paper currency and track every financial transaction? Just swiping the 'bar code' tattooed on the back of my hand would be really convenient. Oh wait, that would play right into The Beast's hands!

UbinTook
04-22-2007, 10:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried to play this thing, and I get the error message "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (rstp) isn't associated with any program." WTF? I tried it through RealPlayer and through IE as well, and also got error messages.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldnt get the video to load and did a little searching...it works for me now after following the instructions here...
See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Register_protocol#Linux_and_Mac Instructions for windows machines are there as well.

Note: If you have no clue on how to create a .reg file( its not as hard as you think, do a google search for How do i create a .reg file)
I created one in regedit, exported it to the desktop, renamed it rtsp, added the info below and double clicked it to install. Worked like a charm.

Windows
On Windows, registration is done by the OS. To change the OS's settings, create a .reg file, and place this in the file:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\foo]
@="URL:foo Protocol"
"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\foo\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\foo\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\foo\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Application\\program.exe\" \"%1\""

Replacing foo with the protocol you're specifying and C:\\Program Files\\Application\\program.exe with the program you want to run. Note that backslashes must be doubled and the additional slashes and quotes before the path must not be removed. Save the file, then double-click it to insert into the Windows registry.

The registry entry with the specific path for my machine was as follows...

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\rtsp]
@="URL:rtsp Protocol"
"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\rtsp\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\rtsp\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\rtsp\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Real\\RealPlayer\\realplay.exe\" \"%1\""

DrewOnTilt
04-22-2007, 10:52 PM
Thanks Ubin.

Actually I posted this here in the Computer Technical Help form (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=10075035&an=0&page=0#Pos t10075035) and someone pointed me to a freebie media player that opened the file without issue.

Thanks again.

Sniper
04-23-2007, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sniper, I know that you enjoy playing devil's advocate. Do you really buy arguments that money laundering/transfers/whatever using Poker sites as intermediaries is a significant issue? Has it happended/does it happen? I'm sure, but how big a slice of the pie is it? .1%? .001%? Kyl's argument is ridiculous when you look at the big picture.

Why isn't he leading the push to ban paper currency and track every financial transaction? Just swiping the 'bar code' tattooed on the back of my hand would be really convenient. Oh wait, that would play right into The Beast's hands!

[/ QUOTE ]

Leap,

Didn't you get the memo, I am the devil... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

It doesn't really matter what I believe re: money laudering. He was wrong in his statement regarding identification... and it is an area of concern with regard to terrorist funding.

That doesn't mean the UIGEA closed that hole in security, it hasn't...