PDA

View Full Version : The Universe in a Single Atom

J. Stew
04-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Anybody read/listen to this? Pretty awesome bridge between science and what religion points to imo.

flipdeadshot22
04-19-2007, 08:12 PM
link plz

brandofo
04-19-2007, 08:27 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Universe-Single-Atom-Convergence-Spirituality/dp/076792066X

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/076792066X.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS500_.jpg

David Steele
04-20-2007, 10:19 AM
Does he give a scientific explanation for how his theory of reincarnation works?

D.

brandofo
04-20-2007, 11:01 AM
Yes, that is outlined in Chapter 4.

David Steele
04-20-2007, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, that is outlined in Chapter 4

[/ QUOTE ]

I am skeptical that this chapter 4 really contains a
scientific explanation of how reincarnation might work.

I'll check it out though, thanks.

D.

latefordinner
04-21-2007, 01:16 AM
Buddhism has the characteristics of what would be expected in a cosmic religion for the future: It transcends a personal God, avoids dogmas and theology; it covers both the natural and spritual; and it is based on a religious sense aspiring from the experience of all things, natural and spiritual, as a meaningful unity...if there is any religion that would cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism.

Einstein

BigSoonerFan
04-22-2007, 12:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anybody read/listen to this? Pretty awesome bridge between science and what religion points to imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I first heard about this when watching 'Animal House'.

arahant
04-26-2007, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, that is outlined in Chapter 4

[/ QUOTE ]

I am skeptical that this chapter 4 really contains a
scientific explanation of how reincarnation might work.

I'll check it out though, thanks.

D.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, nothing in chapter 4 about reincarnation. It only receives 2 pages in the index, and that passage doesn't say anything either.

I started with chapter 4, and have read a few other chapters, and my impressions are:

1) I like the Dalai Lama more. He's humble about what he knows, accepts anything science shows, and is very open to science proving tenets of Buddhism (or other beliefs) wrong. He's clearly not the smartest guy in the world, but has the opportunity to speak with a lot of brilliant scientists, and uses that opportunity to learn.

2) He feels consciousness can't be explored by current scientific methods, which isn't exactly true. Scientists already work in some of the ways he is suggesting. Still, he has done a great deal to encourage brain and mind and meditation research.

3) I haven't read the whole book, but he doesn't really seem to defend anything or make any claims. It's more of an homage to science from a religious guy, which is, of course, very nice.

brandofo
05-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Sorry guys, I was just kidding about Chapter 4. I didn't think it was possible to provide a scientific explanation of reincarnation.

BigBuffet
05-14-2007, 06:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does he give a scientific explanation for how his theory of reincarnation works?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe in reincarnation. Reincarnation serves no purpose if we don't remember past lives and the lessons learned therein.

Plus the belief in reincarnation serves as an excuse to be sloppy in this life...

Vivalution
05-15-2007, 02:52 AM
This looks really interesting? Unless someone suggest otherwise I will probably add this to my reading list.

arahant
05-15-2007, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This looks really interesting? Unless someone suggest otherwise I will probably add this to my reading list.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a BAD book. At least it's a quick read. There is nothing new in it though; it's more like a window into the life and thoughts of HH the Dalai Lama than anything else.

kagame
05-16-2007, 11:00 AM
anything by the Dalai Lama is amazing, end of conversation

the amazing thing about this book is that the Dalai Lama picked up his scientific knowledge at the hands of genius leading scientists, not at all through normal education

cutting edge about EVERYTHING

The once and future king
05-16-2007, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe in reincarnation. Reincarnation serves no purpose if we don't remember past lives and the lessons learned therein.

Plus the belief in reincarnation serves as an excuse to be sloppy in this life...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would it have to serve a purpose? Is there a purpose to your present incarnation?

Anyway the whole point of Buddhism is to avoid being reincarnated. Existence = suffering.

BigBuffet
05-17-2007, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why would it have to serve a purpose?
The purpose of reincarnation to me would be to remember lessons previously learned. Otherwise their is no purpose to it.

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a purpose to your present incarnation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway the whole point of Buddhism is to avoid being reincarnated. Existence = suffering.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no proof that there is or isn't reincarnation. I don't believe in it, some people do. I think it's a waste of time to wrap your whole life around the possibility of it.

I don't waste my time with religion and philosophy that has no proof. I just do the best I can each day. All you blank wall starers and chanters spend way to much time with that crap.

And worshipping your gurus is one step from drinking the kool-aid...

reb
05-17-2007, 07:18 AM
Belief in reincarnation should not have any impact on anyones life, since in buddhist philosophy there is no transmigration of the "self", only thought patterns and character, so essentially you die anyway.

David Steele
05-17-2007, 09:37 AM
I just read it in the bookstore and I don't thing it is a great book.

While the Dali Lama has an admirable willingness to investigate science subjects, he ends up with very superficial and biased conclusions in his summaries.

He likes science that he takes to be in line with his religion ( e.g. features of QM ) but has an unscientific attitude with other conjectures of his beliefs (e.g reincarnation, mind reading ).

D.