PDA

View Full Version : BB vs. LAG

Austiger
04-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Button is 62/22. Love me or hate me?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($64.60)
MP ($122.25)
CO ($44.25)
Button ($67.95)
SB ($29.20)
Hero ($51.70)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $1.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $1.

Flop: ($3.25) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $1.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, Button calls $2.50.

Turn: ($11.25) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7</font>, Button calls $7.

River: ($25.25) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $5</font>, Hero calls $5.

Final Pot: $35.25

Vyse
04-18-2007, 09:31 PM
h8

All_Inn_Aces
04-18-2007, 09:39 PM
The river call is mandatory, but youre in all lieklihood dead in the water

creamfillin
04-18-2007, 09:41 PM
Fold PF

BevillTheDevil
04-18-2007, 09:51 PM
I dont like a call here pf, I think i either 3bet or fold. Since he is raising 22% of the time and it folds to him on the button he could be tryin to steal so a 3bet is ok. BUT he is probably a donk and we can find better spots so a fold is ok...i think its pretty much preference though. But by callin, you put yourself in a akward spot IMO. You have to hit hard to really get anything out of your hand. If you 3bet you can usually take it down on the flop, especially this flop when the A hits (unless of course hes an idiot or has an A). But as played after your c/r on the flop and he calls, your A is probalby no good...but i think if your goal is to take it down w/ the c/r you have to raise &gt;5.00 cause hes not foldin much to ~a minraise...

Austiger
What do you think BTN's range is, given his stats? I find it hard to believe I can't play a suited ace profitably OOP here. Button is going to hit middle pair a lot and not want to give up.

ciki57
I think PF call is fine against donk like that. You might win a big pot if you hit a big hand.

Postflop, i don't like flop C/R. I just check/call all streets (unless he bets big) here to keep the pot small and hope he bets into me with worse hand or bluffs.

I don't want to scare him, if he wants to bluff and I don't want to build a big pot with that hand.

They way you played it, you have to call the river, I think.

Results?

The Mayo
04-18-2007, 09:52 PM
I fold this preflop. Ace-small plays absolutely terribly oop. It's one of the best ways I know to burn through money. Then again, I'm a nit.

I'd lead out for 2.50 on the flop. If I encounter resistance, I shut down. Your hand is probably good, but it's obviously vulnerable, so taking the pot right here is fine.

I don't like the c/r, but if you're going to do it, at least raise to $6 or so. Your raise gives button pot odds of 8.75/2.5 = 3.5/1. He's not going to fold anything for that price. So he calls, and you've put 10 BBs into the pot, don't know if your hand is good, and are out of position. Raising to $6 (offering button 2.3/1) or $7 (2.1/1) may make villain fold, and if he calls, you can know you're beat and give up.

As played, I check the turn. Villain has shown strength, and you aren't really beating anything.

As played, c/c river is fine since the bet is so small.

EDIT: you're != your

Austiger
04-18-2007, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont like a call here pf, I think i either 3bet or fold. Since he is raising 22% of the time and it folds to him on the button he could be tryin to steal so a 3bet is ok. BUT he is probably a donk and we can find better spots so a fold is ok...i think its pretty much preference though. But by callin, you put yourself in a akward spot IMO. You have to hit hard to really get anything out of your hand. If you 3bet you can usually take it down on the flop, especially this flop when the A hits (unless of course hes an idiot or has an A). But as played after your c/r on the flop and he calls, your A is probalby no good...but i think if your goal is to take it down w/ the c/r you have to raise &gt;5.00 cause hes not foldin much to ~a minraise...

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually raising for value on the flop, not necessarily trying to take it down. I felt like I had the best hand, but I didn't want the pot to get TOO out of hand if he called.

Isura
04-18-2007, 09:59 PM
You don't want to play a big pot here, even against a LAG. Just check/call the flop and go from there. Preflop call is fine IMO.

Austiger
04-18-2007, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Results?

[/ QUOTE ]

Q4s and MHIG. I don't want that to sway anyone's opinion though b/c that's not why I posted it. But I do have strong feelings about my strategy here, although I'm open minded about the opposition. (I should say that I'm a rookie in cash games.)

First of all, I feel like getting outkicked by another ace is a small consideration in this hand. BTN is raising a huge range here, and the odds of him having an ace, an ace hitting, neither of us pairing our 2nd card, and the kicker playing is slim. (Of course this is only true because his range is so big here and I do not go around challenging PF raises with regularity.) So my plan for the hand is to hit my ace and c/r his c-bet. If he hit one of his cards, I don't expect him to give up b/c people who call 62% PF don't like to give up when they attempt to steal the blinds and then hit any part of the flop. Next time around, I'm folding A3s. I just think it's important to do this once in awhile vs. this type of player. If you only do it with sets and big aces, you're not taking advantage of the fact that he's playing such a huge range.

In addition, hopefully someone is paying attention to this and I can get some action on my c-raises in the future. Do these ideas miss the mark? Just trying to think past the auto-folds.

BevillTheDevil
04-18-2007, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually raising for value on the flop, not necessarily trying to take it down. I felt like I had the best hand, but I didn't want the pot to get TOO out of hand if he called.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok you raise for value and dont want the pot to get out of hand then why bet the turn?? if you really feel your ahead its ok i guess? but i just dont wanta build a pot w/ TP3K, but im probably just a nit

kurto
04-18-2007, 10:40 PM
I love the river check. I've been do it quite regularly to LAGGY people who can't resist the steal. I think of it as them leaving me a tip after playing the hand.

The Mayo
04-18-2007, 11:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Results?

[/ QUOTE ]

Q4s and MHIG.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just fyi, these results are really uncommon. Villain is obviously a special kind of idiot. The average 50NL LAG wouldn't play this bad. Hell, it's not even all that common to see such atrocious play at NL10. So don't think that this is normal play from a standard donk. I only mention this because you said you're new to cash games, and I don't want you to start off thinking this play is standard donk procedure.

Austiger
04-18-2007, 11:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Results?

[/ QUOTE ]

Q4s and MHIG.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just fyi, these results are really uncommon. Villain is obviously a special kind of idiot. The average 50NL LAG wouldn't play this bad. Hell, it's not even all that common to see such atrocious play at NL10. So don't think that this is normal play from a standard donk. I only mention this because you said you're new to cash games, and I don't want you to start off thinking this play is standard donk procedure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I realize his play is a head-scratcher post-flop. I'm not completely new to cash games, I just haven't played in awhile and when I did play, it wasn't very much. Just trying to start over from scratch.

kurto
04-19-2007, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just fyi, these results are really uncommon. Villain is obviously a special kind of idiot. The average 50NL LAG wouldn't play this bad. Hell, it's not even all that common to see such atrocious play at NL10. So don't think that this is normal play from a standard donk.

[/ QUOTE ]

From Original post:
[ QUOTE ]
Button is 66/22 .

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are lucky enough to sit at tables with 66/22 and greater... this is quite common.

These people do it because there are enough tight players who will fold their A3 here to a real bet.