PDA

View Full Version : Nietzsche books.

EGO
04-18-2007, 12:37 PM
I'm getting into philosophy in a small way, and was looking for a couple of recommendations for books describing the thoughts of Nietzsche. A "Nietzsche for Dummies" if you will. TIA.

NotReady
04-18-2007, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm getting into philosophy in a small way, and was looking for a couple of recommendations for books describing the thoughts of Nietzsche.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should start with the net. There's a fair amount of most philosophers - I've found Wiki is a good starting point and usually includes some bibliography.

Freddie can be summed up fairly easily:

There are no absolutes.

From that you can logically write your own script.

EGO
04-18-2007, 06:52 PM
I found something along what I was looking for at the library. Neitzsche within your grasp - The First Step to Understanding Nietzsche, by Shelly O'Hara. It's only about 80 pages long, and is basically a cliff notes version of his life and ideas - exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

evolvedForm
04-18-2007, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Freddie can be summed up fairly easily:

There are no absolutes.

From that you can logically write your own script.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a pathetic attempt at understanding Nietzsche even for an analytic.

PokerAmateur4
04-19-2007, 04:30 AM
Check out a website called "Squashed Philosophers"

latefordinner
04-19-2007, 04:49 AM
The Oxford University Press has a book series called "Very Short Introductions" on a variety of topics. I am positive they have one on Nietzsche. I have found the quality and clarity of most of them to be quite good.

SNOWBALL
04-19-2007, 07:08 AM
Unlike some other important philosophers, Nietzsche is a superb writer. You're cheating yourself by reading an intro of him. The real thing is where it's at.

arod18
04-19-2007, 11:24 AM
I'd definately start with 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra'

SoReady
04-19-2007, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Unlike some other important philosophers, Nietzsche is a superb writer. You're cheating yourself by reading an intro of him. The real thing is where it's at.

[/ QUOTE ]
qft

I'd start with "The Gay Science," it's the most lighthearted and will give you a good taste of Nietzsche's general approach.

Hoi Polloi
04-19-2007, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Oxford University Press has a book series called "Very Short Introductions" on a variety of topics. I am positive they have one on Nietzsche. I have found the quality and clarity of most of them to be quite good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they do have one on Nietzsche and I agree the VSI series is generally very good (and short!).