PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing so wrong, or does my postflop game suck so muck?

bully666
04-18-2007, 04:11 AM
I've been playing poker for quite some time now, but I am still making zero or no profits. Mainly I play micro NL games, 6 men max.

I know about position, I know which hands to play preflop. I am using PT and Acehud to help me put an opponent on a hand. I know pot odds and my outs. I know how to bet preflop, and after the flop. Basicly I think I know all I have to know about poker. The only thing that is making problems to me is the postflop game.

I will post some hands from yesterday where I lost the most. I will paste URLs from pokerhand.org, because pasting them here directly would make my thread very long, I hope thats not the problem.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1009986

I was vs SS player, which had less then half of buyin. This is my "standard" error, calling or pushing SS players with hands I would not call or push players with full buyin.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1009994

The villian stats are: 28 17 3.25 sample 90. I've put him on a 17% preflop range. On the flop I think I should go for check raise but because I didnt, I also checked turn too. On the river I made another "standard" error of mine...I thought the guy is just making a move on me, betting more then pot, because he was very aggressive in his past hands.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1010001

The villian stats are 60 7 2.57 sample 41. From my previus habds with this player I've leardned he is very loose, but aggressive, thats why I've check raised him. Seems like a big mistake, but I will never know for sure...i just had to lay down the hand on turn.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1010004

The same player as above and from the hand #1. I think mistake here was not to check raise the flop, but I was on a small "tilt" here. The river was a total surprise to me and I had to fold.

This are hands that cost me profit yesterday. From then you can see my post flop is pretty bad and I am "lost" a lot of times...the villian totaly surprises me sometime and I make a big mistake when playing them.

Are there any tips, articles I can read about postflop game. I need help badly, so please help me.

Bramsterdam
04-18-2007, 04:48 AM
Hand 1: is ok. Commited yourself pre-flop and get it all in on the flop. (Or preferrably get it all in preflop)

Hand 2: Calling raises with AT from the BB is the mistake here. You're easily dominated and OOP for the whole hand. Post-flop you played it fine, allthough you can't call the river bet. Villains won't make moves as often as you think they do.

Hand 3: I don't like preflop. Post-flop is standard.

Hand 4: You played it fine imo.

Sweir
04-18-2007, 04:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Basicly I think I know all I have to know about poker. The only thing that is making problems to me is the postflop game.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, poker is all about post-flop, noone knows all they have to know about poker.

As for the hands:

In hand 1 raise $1.25 (4xBB + 1 per limper) and then just 4bet him AI, no point leaving $4.15 left.

In hand 2 I would put in a small value bet for just over 1/2 pot or something on the river. As for calling the overbet that is pretty read dependant so I can't really comment. If you were to c/r the flop is it a bluff or for value, also what is your plan on the turn if called, and are you folding to a 3bet?

In hand 3 just make it $1.25 pf. If I think villian is donking me and is FOS then I generally float him rather than raise the flop, however if you think he will 2nd barrel a lot then floating doesn't seem too good. I'm not particularly good at these situations btw. Oh yea and its a raise, not check raise /images/graemlins/smile.gif

In hand 4 presumably villian has just seen you raise his donkbet and then fold to a 2nd barrel to so raising here is not ideal. I would probably call the flop and then bet the turn when checked to. Again, its not a check raise its a raise, you have to check and then raise for it to be a check raise, hehe.

Good things to read would basically just be all of the uNL Essential and SSNL Master Sticky posts. Also ask questions in uNL about hands other posters have posted and read other peoples replys etc.

kabouter
04-18-2007, 04:58 AM
Hand 1: seems ok just put him allin pf though
hand 2: spewage 3bet him or fold
hand 3: not the hand you want to raise with, I prefer a raise with 34s over a8o anyday
hand 4: if you are going to float here, at least bet on the turn.

Sweir
04-18-2007, 05:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Hand 2: Calling raises with AT from the BB is the mistake here. You're easily dominated and OOP for the whole hand.

<font color="blue"> It depends on how well you can play post-flop, if you can't get away when you hit an ace and are behind then folding is fine. Personally I don't mind raising,calling, or folding depending on villian and my image with ATs. </font>

Hand 3: I don't like preflop. Post-flop is standard.

<font color="blue"> Both raising and folding are both fine, I would probably raise/fold ~50/50. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Bramsterdam
04-18-2007, 05:05 AM
Hand 2:
Poster states he has problems playing postflop. AT OOP is definately a trap hand, so try to avoid these situations. 3bet or fold.

Hand 3: I've to go with kabouter once again; I'd rather raise 43s. You can't play for ace value / flush value / straight value and it will be hard to push villains of a better ace. Once again, if you're bad postflop then avoid raising A8o!

bully666
04-18-2007, 05:07 AM
I mean the "all about poker" in theory ... about the preflop game on this micro stakes...I dont consider people to be so good here that the "acb" playing will not beat them..but guess I am wrong.

@ Bramsterdam

hand 3, the ATs compare to 17% is 51:49...but OOP is bad vs an agro player, but playing vs this villian i've seen him played marginal hands and also he was very agressive..so I though if I hit the flop I could get some money out of him.

@ Sweir

hand 1...i usualy raise for 4BB + 1 per limper, but I also try to mix the game a bit, so in this case I just raised pot. why i didnt put him allin was because I thought I was ahead and wanted him to pay me

hand 2...if he would call my c-r on the flop I would probably be c f on the rest of the hand, unless he would make some small bets...the same overbet on the river I would fold.

hand 3 is the same as hand 1...mixing up a bit the preflop betting.

will "study" the sticker and try to do as you suggested.

thanks for the help.

bully666
04-18-2007, 05:12 AM
excuse me for bad english or unknown poker terms...but what does this mean? what is going to float?

hand 4: if you are going to float here, at least bet on the turn.

Bramsterdam
04-18-2007, 05:19 AM
@ Bully666, see: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...&amp;PHPSESSID= (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&amp;Board=microplnl&amp;Number=7758541&amp; fpart=1&amp;PHPSESSID=)

Chomp
04-18-2007, 05:48 AM
I'm pretty confused about the replies in this thread. Too much results-oreientated analysis IMO as we know hero lost all these hands.

I think these are all ok. Hand 1 and 4 are well played IMO. You can argue about 2 and 3, but I don't agree there are huge or fundamental mistakes here as others are suggesting.

I think to call hand 2 spew is ridiculous.

Ok, calling ATs in BB may not be perfect, but lots of good players will do it. Raise/fold might be better, but we could be facing a btn pfr from a very wide range of hands, so a call is not awful IMO. Flop call is standard, turn check is standard, and river overbet by villain is probably a fold with 2nd best hand, although it may even be a call if villain is a donkey. To call it spew is off beam IMO.

The only hand here I dislike is 3, although even there it is not awful. OP is pfrer from CO (again A8o is a hand LOTS of good TAGs raise), and OP did the right thing in defending his raise when donked into on flop, only to find villain won't let go. This is a reasonable line IMO.

OP - you have to be able to deal with losing 4 hands like this. It is not a big deal and everybody loses hands like this. If you are struggling with your game it may be problems elsewhere, but IMO these hands don't display any major/fundamental problems.

dirtylobster
04-18-2007, 05:50 AM
First hand is standard. Villain is pot-committed and will shove any flop.

Second hand is fine, except I wouldn't bet that much on the river, he's only gonna call with a stronger ace. There was about $5 in the pot? Bet $3 and fold to a raise.

Third hand: fold to flop raise, you don't have a hand.

Fourth: I'd raise that small flop bet and fold to a shove. Turn check is fine. You beat nothing on the river, so fold.