PDA

View Full Version : Personal Psychological reasons for moving up limits in live play?

RyanCMU
02-16-2006, 04:25 AM
Ok so a little backstory, I play online LHE and do quite well. I also do quite well at my local B&M. However, there is one glaring problem, not with my play and my game, but with me...

I keep my live and my online Bankrolls seperate, for varying reasons which I won't go into here. I take the money I make out of my live BR to finance my college life (ie. beer, partying, dates, etc). And my Online bankroll the majority of it goes into my savings account and investments and the rest of it stays onsite to keep the progression train rolling /images/graemlins/smile.gif The problem with this, my online bankroll will grow while my B&M bankroll stays reasonably steady, allowing me to play the 3/6 game with an adequate bankroll and sometimes the 6/12...

This may seem fine and dandy to most, however, I have a problem. I want to play bigger not for the money and the profit reasons, but beacause I want to be "known" at my local B&M. Odd huh? Yea, it sounds a little out there.

My dilema is this; everytime I go into the cardroom, Im known by some, not by name or anything just as that kid who plays a lot. No one really pays enough attention to the small stakes games to known the solid winners from the donks anyway. However being that 10/20 sometimes 15/30, is the largest game spread, those regulars are all well known and respected. And the majority of them at horrendous players; (Im talking just outright terrible weak tight and few lags, maybe only 2-3 decent players ever play in that game, and they are just decent, so its a very soft game.) Yet they get the respect from the other players, the floor, and passers by. I want to have that feeling of "respet" and be "known" etc. Is this odd?

My questions are these;

Is it worth it to take a shot at a game that I know I can beat, but in the process risk a large portion of my live bankroll?

Do any other posters here ever have similar feelings to those that I recently been experiencing?

If so, How do you deal with these feelings?

and,

Any thoughts or advice when taking a large jump in stakes? (admitatly these stakes are petty for some, however for my playing out of my live bankroll the stake jump is significant)

Wait theres more haha... It seems that taking jumps and risks is easier pyschologically online and that you dont get that sense of pride of self worth when moving up stakes and taking shots online, as much as live? Anyone else echo these sentiments? Also, what role do you guys think the pyschological thought process in situations like mine and the one I described does for ones play?

Sorry for the long winded post haha, and thanks in advance for looking at it, and everyones insightful replies.

MathEconomist
02-16-2006, 05:09 AM
Well, I suggest combining the two bankrolls. I can't really see any good reason to limit the games you can play based on an arbitrary accounting distinction.

If you're not going to do that, and you really think these higher stakes games are soft, why not just build up your live bankroll by not taking any out for a little while? Honestly, as weak as live games are at so many places, I think you should make every effort to play the highest stakes games you can. If you're going to take a shot without building up the BR first, then just really make sure you'll have enough to play your normal game comfortably if you lose whatever you take to the 10/20 game.

Also, lose the whole respect thing. That's just going to make you play worse. Do you really care that much about the respect of a bunch of small time degenerates? Caring about whether these people respect your play is likely just going to cause you to make mistakes and tilt easier if you start running bad. Move to bigger stakes because that's where the money is, not because you want to be known.

scrapperdog
02-16-2006, 07:14 AM
Well the guy above me said it pretty good. If you want to move up do it for the money. Dont do it because you want to be a bigshot among a bunch of "small time degenerates".

It does seem odd that you would care what these people in the card room think of you. If you get a sense of pride and self worth from moving up stakes it should be because you worked hard on your game to get there...not because you give a crap what the people at the table think of you.

Coffee
02-16-2006, 05:20 PM
Taking a shot is a financial thing, not a psychological one.

If you want to combine and play bigger because you want to win more money, then fine...I can understand that.

If it's just because you want to feel like a bigshot...go to Vegas, rent a limo, stay at the Bellagio, Wynn, or Venetian, and hang out at Light and Rain the whole time.

Besides...why would you want a target on your back? Would you not agree it is more profitable to be thought of as a bad player than as a good one? Oftentimes when I sit down at a table, I announce, "Dead money coming in," because it's either accurate or ironic, and usually lightens and loosens up the table a bit. See also why I straddle early on in the session.

Go back and watch Joey Knish's monologue in the bathhouse about why he plays...I always think of it when I'm considering my poker options.

You can play for money, or you can play for ego...99.9% of us cannot play for both...so you need to choose which one it is for you.

NinaWilliams
02-16-2006, 08:29 PM
Its perfectly fine to want to be known and respected as a player. I feel the same way.

As for the question about your bankroll, only you can make this decision. But as long as losing a huge portion of your bankroll wont ruin you financially, and as long as you can replace it, losing a large portion of it taking a shot at a higher game isnt as bad as it may seem.

Also,
[ QUOTE ]
Besides...why would you want a target on your back? Would you not agree it is more profitable to be thought of as a bad player than as a good one? Oftentimes when I sit down at a table, I announce, "Dead money coming in," because it's either accurate or ironic, and usually lightens and loosens up the table a bit. See also why I straddle early on in the session.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this. I think having an image of a tough good player is just as valuable as a loose gambling player. But thats an entirely different discussion

Banks2334
02-17-2006, 12:34 AM
Drop the ego trip in poker, it will only get you in trouble. I've seen too many players over the years too concerned with being "known". Usually they end up being know as the big donator to the game. Play your game and the stakes which you can comfortably play and afford. The "being known" will take care of itself.