PDA

View Full Version : Playing the nut flush

Gullanian
04-17-2007, 11:52 AM
Party Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh/))

SB: $16.75
BB: $29.25
UTG: $11.95
<font color="black">Hero (MP): $24.65</font>
CO: $14.50
BTN: $31.20

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt 2/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif (6 Players)
Seat 5: folds, UTG calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.25, CO calls $0.25, BTN calls $0.25, SB calls $0.15, BB checks

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($1.50) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif 5/images/graemlins/club.gif (6 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">BB bets $0.25</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls $0.25, CO calls $0.25, BTN calls $0.25, <font color="red">SB raises to $0.75</font>, BB calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, CO folds, BTN calls $0.50

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($4.75) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif (4 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">BB bets $0.25</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.75</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $1.25</font>, SB calls $1.25, BB calls $1, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2</font>, BTN calls $0.75, SB calls $0.75, BB calls $0.75

<font color="black">River:</font> ($12.75) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif (4 Players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $3.25</font>, SB calls $3.25, BB folds, Hero calls $3.25

Pot Size: $22.50

SB had Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif (three of a kind, Fives)
BTN had 4/images/graemlins/club.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif (a flush, Ten high)
Hero had 2/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif (a flush, Ace high)

I figured someone had a lower flush for sure, and someone might also have a FH which slowed me down a bit on the turn and river when I realised the paired board. Then reraise on turn was before I realised the board had paired. Did I play it ok?

TheRenaissance
04-17-2007, 12:02 PM
Raise preflop to buy position/initiative/isolate the limper.
I fold this preflop in MP though.

Flop fine.

Turn what are you doing with the tiny raises? Just shove it all in.

As played the river check is pretty bad. You must bet there 100% of the time.

All_Inn_Aces
04-17-2007, 12:02 PM
I have to say this is a weak play. There are so many hands in his range that you have dominated. A6, K6, Any weaker flush. The only (realistic)hands out there to beat you are 22, 33, 55, or 56 if youre really afraid, quads, and 4c7c.
I think a value bet on that river is pretty standard.

Gullanian
04-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Yeah I know I played it weakly but I would't say badly.

In retrospect I should of pushed for sure.

TheRenaissance
04-17-2007, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your turn and river play was bad.
Preflop is debatable.

Gullanian
04-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Is it too overcautious to think someone might have a FH in a really loose game? Or do I basically have the value to AI every time.

Grim Reapa
04-17-2007, 12:26 PM
Wow looks like a limit game!

Dont limp preflop, raise or fold.

Raise flop

Bet more/get it in on the turn

As played only check the river if youre 150% sure button will bet and trap SB for more (still not the best play) - then shove.

you need to be getting your stack in here

eigenvalue
04-17-2007, 12:28 PM
If that hand is dealt to me, there is no turn or river play anymore. I shove this flop all day.

cubase
04-17-2007, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it too overcautious to think someone might have a FH in a really loose game? Or do I basically have the value to AI every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, don't post the results. /images/graemlins/smile.gif It skews all of our thinking.

It depends on how you play it. In an unraised pot, probably not overcautious.

Like the folks before me, I'd prefer to see you fold this hand pre-flop or raise it. By raising it, you narrow down the range of your opponents and can make better judgements against 1 or 2 players instead of the whole field.

That being said, I have no problem getting all of my chips in on the turn here, but raise MORE. You are essentially trying to find out who has (if anyone) the 5 or a lower flush because they are going to the felt with it. If you find yourself against a FH, nh, move on. More often than not, you are stacking the 5x guy and or any lower flushies. Some folks will also call your all-in on the turn with Kcx. Remember, once the flush hits, the 5x is on a FH draw... you need to charge him adequately for chasing his boat, and all of your chips is an appropriate price.

If you take anything away from this hand though, it would be to fold your junk pre-flop or raise it. After raising (and hopefully isolating the UTG behind you), you can c-bet a number of flops and take the pot down right away.

Kasane
04-17-2007, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Weak IS bad here. Listen to the posters. This is really, really bad turn and river play. If you're not extracting value with your monsters, it's going to bring your winrate way, waaaay down.

Preflop -- eh. Limping along is not horrible like turn and river -- but folding or raising are better. Yes, folding. Seems weak? Try it sometime. You'd be surprised at how many fewer marginal situations you end up in (same with raising).

kolotoure
04-17-2007, 02:04 PM
Preflop - I'm probably raising but if you expect a lot of overlimpers if you limp it isn't bad

Flop - Standard

Turn - Your raise sizes suck. Pot it when it the first time you act and def pot it the second time you act

River - Shove river because you lose so much value to a lower flush by just calling

Also, don't post results in future

Davey Valentine
04-17-2007, 05:22 PM
I'm all for limping with these hands. Like other posters said the turn was weak, HE reraised you so he obv has a hand - push n go.

wikemang
04-17-2007, 05:28 PM
Raise preflop, raise flop, raise turn, raise river. You need to get money in here somewhere. You missed a great opportunity to win an enormous pot here.

lexxor
04-17-2007, 06:01 PM
edit out the results

kurto
04-17-2007, 06:16 PM
I'm a little confused. Isn't there also a wise thought to not go for flush draws on paired board since you may also be drawing dead?

This hand is the perfect storm of idiocy... in that he had 2 opponents with decent but lesser hands taking their hands way to far on scary boards.

But as he plays against smarter opponents, he's not going to get paid off when that flush hits or the flush often won't be the nuts.