PDA

View Full Version : Improving Your Intuition

Isura
04-16-2007, 11:53 PM
I'm in a writing mood these days. I think a big hurdle in improving past basic poker is developing your personal approach and intuition for the game. I’ve always been a proponent of playing no-limit based on feel and flow of the game. This is not to say that I ignore the math such as basic pot odds, determining hand ranges, or estimating bluff frequencies. What I mean is how I go about acquiring reads so that I can properly apply the math. My success is mostly due to developing strong reads and then having the discipline and courage to go through with my read. Here are some tips for developing that elusive intuition for the game:

Play less tables and try to watch every hand. You can play four tables for half of your sessions, and drop down to two tables the rest of the time. Consider the two-tabling sessions as your learning time. There is so much information that your opponents are just handing out to you for free. Absorb this information and use it to gain a bigger edge. Watch for who is willing to mix it up and play medium to big pots regularly. Which players like to see lots of flops, but play fit or fold on the flop? Try to find patterns in bet sizing. A common pattern is that players like to bet the pot or over bet with top pair or over pairs (The Isura Theorem?).

Pay attention to recent history. Most of your opponents are only playing one or two tables. Thus, they are able to recall recent hands more clearly than a six-tabling robot. One thing that recreational players do is put too much emphasis on recent hands. So if they have seen you take down a few big pots, they are going to overcompensate and give you less credit next time. They will remember your recent bluffs or strong hands. So consider slow playing (or taking an unorthodox line) when you have a monster if you have been showing the goods lately. Conversely, fast play a monster if you have been caught bluffing. Mixing up your play is good, as long as it is for the right reasons. Note that some players simply will not adjust. Some will keep calling you down, while others may keep waiting for a hand to bust you. Mixing up your game is a good thing, as long as it is for the right reasons.

Poker can be an emotional game. The game is played between real people with real emotions. Try to get inside the heads of your opponents and guess the mood that they are in. A player running well will be in a good mood and willing to gamble both with his draws and preflop. Charge this player for his draws and look to get maximum money in preflop with big pairs. The same player can become erratic and bluff happy if you have been getting the best of him. In this case, consider trying to induce bluffs with strong hands (don’t always worry about free cards, they are not that dangerous against bluffy players). Also, think twice before putting yourself in a position to make a big fold. Finally, determine who is looking to protect their winnings. This is my favorite type of opponent at mid stakes because it is so easy to take away all the pots when they don’t have a great hand. And great hands are few and far between in short-handed games! Good luck at the tables.

ama0330
04-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Uberbump! nh

avfletch
04-17-2007, 09:57 AM
Nice. Thanks.

kaz2107
04-17-2007, 10:43 AM
thnx... always nice to have some one who is playin at a level much higher then all of us write sumthing like this. it is much appreciated

TheRenaissance
04-17-2007, 10:48 AM
Good post.

[ QUOTE ]
Finally, determine who is looking to protect their winnings.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is important in another way as well. Loose players that have amassed a big stack sometimes tighten up. So your stats and notes ("53/22/2 bluffhappy spewmonkey") may be misleading, and you might end up overplaying hands unless you pay attention.

munkey
04-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Nice post - many thanks for taking the time to help us uNlers out.

[BTW I couldn't watch your blog vid - I got to 208/218MB then it stopped downloading doh.]

Anyway I was reading some poker thing today on [dynasty's blog] I think about execution.

This reminded me of an old discussion between futures traders about what was more important the ability to execute trades swiftly and not hesitate vs intuition about when/what to do. The conclusion was execution is much more important than most realised.

Applied to poker obviously speed isn't necessary but I have a semi- problem to act on/the execution of my reads/intuition even though they're often correct more often than not.

Thoughts/advice on how to overcome this discipline/pulling the trigger problem or 'just do it'?

C4LL4W4Y
04-17-2007, 11:09 AM
Nice read.

ADK
04-17-2007, 12:07 PM
good post

Speedlimits
04-17-2007, 12:17 PM
Good read. Do you ever plan to write a book? I'd buy it.

yellowbluebus
04-17-2007, 12:41 PM
I hope you continue with writing and posting videos to feed the hungry minds. Never forget the micros!

ajmargarine
04-17-2007, 12:44 PM
Good post sir.

Isura
04-17-2007, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good post.

[ QUOTE ]
Finally, determine who is looking to protect their winnings.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is important in another way as well. Loose players that have amassed a big stack sometimes tighten up. So your stats and notes ("53/22/2 bluffhappy spewmonkey") may be misleading, and you might end up overplaying hands unless you pay attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point.

Isura
04-17-2007, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good read. Do you ever plan to write a book? I'd buy it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe. Actually, I might write a small stakes book (probably in e-book format to make it more accessible) by the end of the summer.

.xxxx.
04-17-2007, 01:23 PM
tell me if my understanding is correct, you suggest playing 2 tables in order to get better table reads in times when players make non-standard plays and that it is possible to gain much better hand reads based off of oponent's bet sizings (which seem to be suggested as constant to the player)?

Isura
04-18-2007, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
tell me if my understanding is correct, you suggest playing 2 tables in order to get better table reads in times when players make non-standard plays and that it is possible to gain much better hand reads based off of oponent's bet sizings (which seem to be suggested as constant to the player)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the idea is that you can pick up a lot of subtle information by observing carefully. That will strengthen your reads and prepare you to make non-standard plays when it is appropriate.

Sweir
04-18-2007, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the idea is that you can pick up a lot of subtle information by observing carefully. That will strengthen your reads and prepare you to make non-standard plays when it is appropriate.

[/ QUOTE ]

The other day I was playing 2 tables for all the wrong reasons and found that after about an hour I had fairly detailed notes on almost every player at both tables. It allows you to not only watch the hands that you are playing in but also the other ~75% of hands that you fold. My table selection was much better too.

Good post Isura, keep posting in uNL /images/graemlins/smile.gif

dirtylobster
04-18-2007, 06:17 PM
Play heads up, that's how you really get to know the villain! (my new mantra)