PDA

View Full Version : Poker videos (cardrunners, ...)

SuitedKingAce
04-16-2007, 07:36 AM
Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you are subscribed at any of these poker video sites? I'm a small stakes NL player (10NL 6max and trying to move up to 25NL 6max), and am wondering if it's worth the money? Are you subscribed at cardrunners, or another site? Which one?

thanks!

Everlong
04-16-2007, 07:39 AM
I'd start with the pletora of fine videos you can download for free from 2p2:ers. There is a link in the sticky somewhere.

Must see's are:

ISTRONG - on fundamentals
Gelford - on aggression
Clayton - on total crazy no holes barred aggression
Isura - on postflop play and betsizing.

I have no real answer to your original q since I am too cheap a bastard.

SuitedKingAce
04-16-2007, 08:18 AM
Thanks Everlong. Where can I find all videos? I am looking at the sticky (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=7758748&an=0&page=0#Post 7758748), but only ISTRONG's are there?

thanks

SuitedKingAce
04-16-2007, 10:06 AM
Nobody using cardrunners or something else?

jordiepop
04-16-2007, 10:09 AM
i have a card runners membership and it is ridiculous. best investment ever. the quality of the videos is amazing. highly suggest it. its amazing seeing all the things you learn, being put into practice. just my thoughts...

C4LL4W4Y
04-16-2007, 10:20 AM
Cardrunners is great (best training site out there), but you should watch the uNL vids on this site too - that way you get a grasp of both the fundamentals, and the current style of play at uNL.

SuitedKingAce
04-16-2007, 10:25 AM
thanks guys

My fear was that Cardrunners is more intended for higher stakes, say 100NL and above. That's not the case then?

creamfillin
04-16-2007, 10:26 AM
How many videos do you have access to, and do you guys pay for the premium membership?

C4LL4W4Y
04-16-2007, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
thanks guys

My fear was that Cardrunners is more intended for higher stakes, say 100NL and above. That's not the case then?

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of the concepts are applicable to uNL. Pay attention to how the instructors play specific opponents, because almost every type of player I've seen on CR vids has been at uNL.

corsakh
04-16-2007, 10:40 AM
I'd say watching cardrunners is about equivalent to lurking/posting on 2+2 if not better.

Ace0fSpades
04-16-2007, 10:43 AM
So what's the conclusion, is cardrunners worth the money?

monkover
04-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Where can I get clayton pawning smallstakes?

jordiepop
04-16-2007, 10:47 AM
i participate heavily on the website, and adding card runners to my education is not the same as lurking / posting on this site. not even close

C4LL4W4Y
04-16-2007, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i participate heavily on the website, and adding card runners to my education is not the same as lurking / posting on this site. not even close

[/ QUOTE ]

so, for clarification purposes, are you saying it's better?

jordiepop
04-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Put it this way, if i had to choose between one website, i couldnt. its not better, just different, and equally amazing. Just like my library of poker literature isnt better than this or CR. they compliment eachother to the ultimate degree.

C4LL4W4Y
04-16-2007, 11:22 AM
I agree.

JJBuffone
04-16-2007, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd start with the pletora of fine videos you can download for free from 2p2:ers. There is a link in the sticky somewhere.

Must see's are:

ISTRONG - on fundamentals
Gelford - on aggression
Clayton - on total crazy no holes barred aggression
Isura - on postflop play and betsizing.

I have no real answer to your original q since I am too cheap a bastard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Links?

yellowbluebus
04-16-2007, 12:25 PM
**Offical uNL videos thread**
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rt=all&vc=1 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=7503041&page=0&fpart=all &vc=1)

Edit: I think this thread has all the links to iStrong's videos.

We Major
04-16-2007, 12:47 PM
Cardrunners is a valuable site and the videos are good but you're going to get killed if you try to watch their videos and apply them to uL.

Fact is, you're going to value bet thinner at the higher limits. People's 3 betting ranges preflop open up. At uL if someone 3bets you and you push all in with AQ you're going to get called and be dominated a fair amount of the time. I've seen a lot of 3 betting and pushing all in pre w/ AQ in some of these videos.

I pretty much made a concious decision that some of the videos were teaching me bad habits trying to emulate their playing style and that the specific forums for the specific stakes are more beneficial to me for the time being while playing uL. As I move up I'll definitely watch more videos.

Just keep in mind the types of opponents they're playing, and that the ranges are different at their stakes.

C4LL4W4Y
04-16-2007, 01:15 PM
If you're the type of uNL player that blindly copies strategy advice and tries to apply it without considering all of the info at the table, then CR isn't worth it.

But from my experience at 50NL on FTP, plenty of the regs play a solid game that can be exploited with some of the concepts taught by GP, Stinger, and Aba.

matrix
04-16-2007, 01:22 PM
imo the forums here are of more use to a micro stakes player playing $25NL or less than CR - and they're free.

I don't think personally CR is worth a subscription for players playing less than $100NL - this is just my own opinion - if you play $25NL annd /images/graemlins/heart.gif your sub then good for you

Basically because uNL limits is where you are supposed to build the foundations of your Poker game. Learn what handsto play and when and how to play them.

Until you have a good grounding in the basics you just won't get as much out of CR's vids. Generally speaking players who play at $100NL (I'm talking players who have moved up and who think about their game - not the unwashed masses) have strong enough foundations to use the CR's better than fresh new beginning players.

I would suggest that putting the $ towards your roll and learning as much as you can from the posts in uNL's Essential selection and the SSNL Master sticky is a better investment than CR's to start with. There is a great deal of good information around to help new players who have just started some of it can be found on these forums and lots of it is free.

I absolutely DO recommend a CR sub once you make it to $100NL - if you think it might help you sooner than then - that is your decision /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Out of all the vids linked in the vid thread (linked in a post above this one) - or vids linked to in the Essential Selection Sticky at the top of the forum I like the iSTRONG vids the most for complete newbies.

OK after several PM's I am reopening this thread for more CR's discussion. I will keep an eye on it and as long as the discussion is good then it will stay open.

corsakh
04-16-2007, 08:04 PM
Where are all these ideas of "getting killed if I apply cardrunners methods in uNL" coming from?! Maybe its a good idea watching more than one or two trial videos before running into conclusions.

Vyse
04-16-2007, 08:15 PM
Because being too fancy at uNL = rape. And if you're not getting fancy, 2p2 serves just fine.

Check_The_Nuts
04-16-2007, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Put it this way, if i had to choose between one website, i couldnt. its not better, just different, and equally amazing. Just like my library of poker literature isnt better than this or CR. they compliment eachother to the ultimate degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf? there's good books on how to play NL cash games?!?

Gelford
04-16-2007, 08:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

wtf? there's good books on how to play NL cash games?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

What, who .. Where ???? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

corsakh
04-16-2007, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Because being too fancy at uNL = rape. And if you're not getting fancy, 2p2 serves just fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see you have already watched them and know it from experience.

czGLoRy
04-16-2007, 09:28 PM
For starting micro stakes check out cardrunners and look up "brystmars low limit instruction guide" its a series of videos along with starting hand recommendation chart and its great for the basics at small limits.

Gelford
04-16-2007, 09:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I can see you have already watched them and know it from experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dropped 20BIs at 50NL a year ago after watching GP play in two days.

I am not the only one

corsakh
04-16-2007, 09:41 PM
I suppose you watched the wrong videos. They have plenty of 50NL ones. And pretty much all they about in them is position, position, position.

Gelford
04-16-2007, 09:48 PM
Well back then there werent as many vids ... GP 1-10 and muddy 1-10 or so /images/graemlins/wink.gif

corsakh
04-16-2007, 09:52 PM
I understand then /images/graemlins/smile.gif They have made quite a few 50 - 200 NL videos since where they explain pretty basic stuff.

ybother
04-16-2007, 11:38 PM
cr just started releasing a video 6 days a week and mondays is uNL, it is true that apploying to many ideas in higher videos can hurt you at uNL, but it is worth it to perhaps buy some of the the Microstakes videos only (avoiding the subscription). If anything these videos can help you learn effective thinking processes during a hand.

Just my .02

guitarizt
05-02-2007, 02:55 AM
I signed up a year ago. It's definitely paid for itself even though I just now started playing micro cash games. I'll have to sign up again after I hit $1100 to see all the new videos.

fatman20
05-02-2007, 07:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For starting micro stakes check out cardrunners and look up "brystmars low limit instruction guide" its a series of videos along with starting hand recommendation chart and its great for the basics at small limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Watching these videos has been one of the best things I have done to improve my game. One of the things that Brysmar talks about after a session is looking at poker tracker after a session and looking at interesting hands that you played and look to see how you could have played them better. I have been doing this and am trying to post these hands on this site. That also leads me to replying to others hands which, imo, is very important in becoming a better player.

Das Budrick
08-04-2007, 11:15 PM
are all of their videos 6max, or are there full ring videos as well?

ShipitFMA
08-04-2007, 11:19 PM
Can someone please link me to the isura videos?

KEW
08-04-2007, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can someone please link me to the isura videos?

[/ QUOTE ]

Try this it been awhile..Down the left side of his site..

http://isurapoker.com/

If I remember right you have to regester to view the video..Registering is no big deal..

ShipitFMA
08-04-2007, 11:29 PM
Thanks KEW

KEW
08-04-2007, 11:30 PM
Thank you for the avatar!!!!

ChicagoPoker
08-04-2007, 11:42 PM
cardrunners kicks ass. definitely worth it if you're serious about improving your game. Taylor and Brian Townsend's videos alone are great. Then throw in all the other videos...its great. But it's definitely geared toward cash games. If you play limit or tourneys primarily there are other options.