PDA

View Full Version : People who bet-call their bluffs.

PartyGirlUK
02-16-2006, 12:41 AM
I find this phenomena quite interesting. I'll occasionally experience, and sometimes read posts about people who bluff the river, then call a raise with some hopeless holding such as Q hi down to 6 hi. These same people don't check/call with such weak holdings. This phenomena also occurs before the river, for example people bet the turn with no pair, no draw, no high card and call a raise regardless. If they would have decided to check the turn, they would have folded to the bet.

The only explanation I can come up with is that they would find it too embarassing to bet/fold. They think this would be an 'admission' of bluffing. But then they call with 7 high and everyone can see they were stealing, they look ridiculous, and they have just wasted a BB. So what gives?

Reef
02-16-2006, 12:58 AM
they are retarts

A_C_Slater
02-16-2006, 01:15 AM
A friend of mine used to do this when I first started teaching him the game a few years ago. He would total bluff the river with ten high and I would reraise with a flush. Then he would moan out loud and sometimes even say "I have nothing" and then call with ten high.

We would be playing for like $10 or $20 freezouts. I would ask him, "if you bluff, and I raise, why don't you just fold?"

His response? -- (loud whiny sigh) "I don't know."

PhattyLiver
02-16-2006, 11:17 AM
Maybe they call your raise to show you that they will call with anything, so that you don't think you can bluff them out of a pot in later hands.

Or as said above they are retarts. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Noo Yawk
02-16-2006, 12:16 PM
After pounding a big draw on every street, It was 3 ways on the river. I make a desperation bluff at a huge pot, one guy folds the other thinks a bit and calls. I turn my cards over and tell him I have Jack high. He looks at his cards and says "that's good". We both laughed.

Away from the table he explained his real reason for calling, and it was somewhat valid. He said alot of the players in that game throw their cards away immediately after someone calls their bluff out of frustration. He was hoping I might do that, but didn't want to say it a the table. The moral is just turn your cards over when called.