PDA

View Full Version : The Fake UTG limp reraise

JadeRedstone
04-14-2007, 11:21 AM
Was in a pretty passive session today. Like most of you I hate to open limp in 6max. So usually I fold hands like KJo from UTG. However this time I decided to limp it.
As I watched it fold around to the blinds I decide that if BB raise I reraise. Guess I had some kind of a read on him. Can't remember way.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($16.55)
CO ($55.25)
Button ($65.80)
SB ($31.85)
BB ($17.15)
Hero ($26.40)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Hero calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $1.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3.25</font>, SB folds, BB calls $1.75.

Flop: ($6.75) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB check , Hero bet $4
BB raise to $14.15 and is allin.

Hero?

Did my play back fire?

IsaacAsimov
04-14-2007, 11:33 AM
Well this play is slightly advanced and often misused. It's not like you need too use it too beat these stakes at a decent winrate and a lot of higher stakes players never do this.
You say you can't remember your read? A read is very important in these kinda spots. And it's more a move you use when the table is aggressive, not when it is passive. Whether or not you call his shove seriously depends on what type of player villain is (I am guessing you don't have a HUD). This is fps imo. Calling the flop is marginal, but only because you have the J of diamonds. Stick to more straightforward plays against bad players /images/graemlins/wink.gif. You'd have to put villain on some sort of range that you beat to call this, but to do so you'd have to know what kinda player he is, that's why reads are important when you play like this.

edit: If you really want to use this move, then I'd suggest limp rr AA, KK, QQ on really aggressive tables.

OHFreak
04-14-2007, 11:37 AM
Call - you've got outs and it's only 68% of a stack after all! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Xanta
04-14-2007, 11:38 AM
This is so freakin gross at 25NL.

First of all, you should never limp in 6max, which means that you should never be limp/re-raising. Second of all, you'd pull a play like this at a higher level fullring to balance your limpreraising range with monsters. At 25NL, NO ONE PAYS ATTENTION. No one is going to be taking notes and no one is going to pay you off next time you limp/reraise with a premium hand.

As played, flop call is a must, you have TP and the 3rd nut flush draw.

But seriously this makes me vomit a little inside my mouth.

JadeRedstone
04-14-2007, 11:46 AM
lol. Nice reactions you guys.
Like I said , I guess I had some kind of a read on him since I planned to do this as soon as I've seen the table fold to the blinds.
I didn't do it because I thought I get him to limp, I just felt my hand is actually stronger then his raising range in this spot.
And I almost never limp reraise - I will do it at times with A's K's but thats usually in full ring when I know there is an aggressive maniac in the table that raise every pot.

I'll give results later. But I did in fact called this, figuring I'm only really behind AdKx
Adxd for the made flush didn't make any sense, as they usually like to slow play it.

Ace0fSpades
04-14-2007, 11:58 AM
Limp/reraising is not a move I recommend. I experimented with it about a week ago in a deepstack 50NL homegame and I too got no respect for it. It's such a donkish move that a player that is thinking even a little bit will realize you have done nothing this stupid before and that this is likely a play.

C4LL4W4Y
04-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Making plays your opponent cannot comprehend is like reading the Grapes of Wrath to a 2 year old.

JadeRedstone
04-14-2007, 12:29 PM
again, I will use the limp reraise (with A's) and have done in the past when I'm over 70% positive someone will raise behind me. Almost always its on a full table.

in fact , last time I did it was in a live MTT. Villain was very aggressive and I managed to double up through him (he actually did have AK that hand but he pushed after my weak c-bet with A high)

Then again in a live MTT where villain was even more aggressive, I'm in the SB he's in the BB.Its folded to me and I hear him preparing chips to raise. So I complete and push. Dude called with A4.
That time it sort of backed fire , flop came J23 Turn a 4 and river a 5.
But I think from the way he played he would have called my open push, raise or what not (He didn't even realize he won the hand)

IJackit
04-14-2007, 12:29 PM
I posted this in a trip report on a different forum a while back.

1-2NL B&amp;M
I had won two small pots in a row stack is $190 and I decide to limp from UTG.

UTG+2 makes it $10 and gets called by cut-off, the button, and by my buddy in the big blind ($46 in the pot). I have Ks Kc so I Hollywood for about 30 seconds and make it $60 to go hoping that someone is going to put me on a pure steal.

The first two fold and the button pushes for $32 more, Sb folds. He needs to do this a fairly small percentage of the time with AK, QQ, or JJ to make this profitable and who folds KK here anyways? I call the $32 and he turns As Ac.

LOL I can't even four flush for the win. My buddy says, “I folded KJ,” and I start praying for my one out. The flop is bricks and I get the case King on the turn with no ace on the river.

The kid who I stacked gets up, shakes his head, then my hand and leaves.

Poor bastard, you deserved it for flat calling AA on the button pre-flop.

dirtylobster
04-14-2007, 12:43 PM
Usually villains who c/ai or minbet/ai are on a draw. Without further reads I'd put him on Ad (any diamond if he's a donk) and call.

dirtylobster
04-14-2007, 03:29 PM
Here's a hand that just happened that illustrates my point. I see these often. This is the donk version.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Hold'em Cash Game
$0.25/$0.50 Blinds
6 Players
LegoPoker HH Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh/)

SB: $52.55
<u>BB: $52.10</u>
<u>Hero (UTG): $50.75</u>
MP: $50.15
CO: $48.15
<font color="black">BTN: $50.35</font>

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt J/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif (6 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $1.75</font>, 2 folds, BTN calls $1.75, SB folds, BB calls $1.25

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($5.50) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif 5/images/graemlins/club.gif (3 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $2.50</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $7.65</font>, BTN folds, <font color="red">BB raises all-in to $50.35</font>, Hero calls all-in for $41.35
Uncalled bet of $1.35 returned to BB

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($103.50) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (2 Players - 2 All-In)

<font color="black">River:</font> ($103.50) K/images/graemlins/club.gif (2 Players - 2 All-In)

Pot Size: $103.50 ($3 Rake)

BB had 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7/images/graemlins/club.gif (a flush, King high)
Hero had J/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif (a flush, King high)

Better Than U
04-14-2007, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First of all, you should never limp in 6max,

[/ QUOTE ]Stop it. Even if you put "open" before "limp", you're wrong.

Isura
04-14-2007, 03:35 PM
I don't like the preflop play. But if you are really ahead of his PF range, then why not just call and play a smaller pot in position? you can extract pretty well when yo flop a pair, and probably get away easier when beat since you have position. But I would just raise it up preflop, no need for metagame at nl25 /images/graemlins/smile.gif Flop is a call, because I think he does this with a lone diamond or smaller pair + diamond very often.

JadeRedstone
04-14-2007, 06:56 PM
You know, after thinking about it, you guys are right. In low levels the limp reraise get no respect. Especially since most players who do it have small pocket pair or something silly like that. Today I had K's in the BB and the BTN limp reraised. I decided to smooth call and keep the pot small in case he did have A's.
Flop was J's he fired 2/3 pot, I called. Turn was blank and he fired half pot - I almost raised but decided just to call. River was a sickening A. Now even if all he had was AK-AQ I was beat. I check and he checked his Q's.
Now in my book, limp reraising Q's is really bad as you allow weak A's and K's a chance at the flop.

Any way, I decided that the only hand I really worry about is AdKx since the nut flush will not play like that and called.

Dima2000123
04-14-2007, 08:59 PM
That's definitely an oopsie. I cry and call here. BB can have all kinds of hands here, either made or drawing. You've got a top pair and maybe a live flush draw. That's enough for 2.5:1 odds, IMO.

JadeRedstone
04-16-2007, 04:54 AM
Like I said I called, he had QcTc. So you guys are right, my play didn't earn any respect. And I just got lucky he didn't have any real hand.

Like I said though, sometimes you have to follow your gut feeling and you reads and make stupid plays.

Dastone
04-16-2007, 05:50 AM
Preflop raise is too small. I make it 4.50 if I were gonna attempt this play.