PDA

View Full Version : econometric studies of poker laws

scott cunningham
02-15-2006, 07:09 PM
I'm a fourth year PhD student in economics, and I tend to study whatever it is that I'm somewhat obsessed about (hence why my dissertation is on effect of mating options and various sorts of sexual behavior). I also have a paper addressing the effect of state-level legislation on sexual behavior (specifically abortion restrictions and its effect on sexual debut).

Having said that, today I was wondering if there existed any econometric studies of how liberal poker laws affected various measures of crime. For instance, does having a law allowing poker clubs to publicly operate affect local crime, local behavioral problems like divorce and alcoholism, etc.? To do this, one would have to separate out the effect that having such a law might draw into the state the very sorts of people who tend to have a higher propensity towards crime and alcoholism (ie, self-selection bias). But putting aside the methodological challenges for a moment, can anyone recommend an empirical article or two that they know to have looked at this? I know studies have looked at gambling, more generally, but what about poker only? Also, what's the most up-to-date summary of state laws in regards to poker (including video poker)? If someone can direct me to a specific post that answers this, that also is fine. Thanks -sc

grapabo
02-16-2006, 12:54 AM
I haven't looked at these links closely, but given the source, I can guess that their conclusions come out on the negative side. It's probably still worth reviewing, though, if you're looking for answers.

http://www.family.org/cforum/fosi/gambling/cog/a0036519.cfm

Edit: some of the links at this site are to obscenely large .pdf files that may take time for even a cable hookup. Tread with care.

psuasskicker
02-17-2006, 10:45 AM
http://govinfo.library.unt.edu/ngisc/reports/4.pdf

The numbers on page 4.7 around pathological gambling vs. alcohol and substance abuse are frankly staggaring. Alcohol is no less than 3.3 times and as much as 9.4 times as prevalent. Drug dependency - something already illegal and regulated heavily - is also much more of an issue.

I'd encourage people to at least read through this section a bit. What this is saying to me is, yeah, gambling is a problem, but it's nowhere near the problem that other things are.

It's tough for me to stomach the gov't coming down so hard on illegal gambling while they allow the alcohol and tobacco industry to flourish. Both are markedly more detrimental to our society as a whole. Especially when the state sanctions lotteries and allows horse betting.

- C -