PDA

View Full Version : Reuters' Article

Boolean
04-12-2007, 02:53 PM
Reuters has published a new article (http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSL1242054520070412?src=041207_1303_FEATURES_int ernet) which states a new bill will be proposed within 2 weeks to repeal the ban itself. However, they are not optimistic about immediate progress.

Interesting quote from US. Rep. Barney Frank:

[ QUOTE ]
Poker players were lobbying for an exemption from the ban just for their game but Frank was "unpersuaded".

"I am not going to draw a distinction between poker and blackjack," Frank said.

[/ QUOTE ]

LeapFrog
04-12-2007, 02:59 PM
just what I was going to post (the excerpt you added) -- interesting

LeapFrog
04-12-2007, 03:02 PM
what is up with this?

[ QUOTE ]

but Frank said he may not be able to tackle the whole online gambling issue.

"My committee only has jurisdiction over credit cards. I can't do more than repeal the ban on the use of credit cards. We don't have jurisdiction generally over the Internet or other aspects of this," Frank said.

[/ QUOTE ]

xxx
04-13-2007, 01:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Poker players were lobbying for an exemption from the ban just for their game but Frank was "unpersuaded".

"I am not going to draw a distinction between poker and blackjack," Frank said.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably fair, as both are games of skill with elements of luck.

Jerry D
04-13-2007, 05:10 AM
Yes the point is that you can't have a poker carveout - you have to make all online gaming accesible. The WTO would rule that a poker carveout is against trade agreements.

Not that it matters of course, but anyway that is what Frank is basicly saying - make all gaming legal and accesible which is how it should be.